Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i bought some 180gr Fereral ammo for the .40 today. got home loaded all my mags and decided to "hand cycle" one through the SC. big time fte.... kinda worried. i'm supossed to go to the range and shoot tomorrow. is this normal to happen while hand cycling the mag? hope i dont have to send her back to SA. i shot 200 rounds of TulAmmo out of it when i bought it with only one FTF, chalked it up to cheap ammo. so this time i opted to get Federal. any suggestions?

edit: the ammo is flat nose and not round...... UGH

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Flat nose doesn't mean anything. Don't worry about that.

Just give the gun a good cleaning tonight. Blow out the striker channel with some powder blast or non chlorinated brake cleaner. Because they are the same thing basically. Give it some light lubrication and you are good to go.

XDs eat anything.

Give us an update after your range trip.

I imagine tomorrow you will not have a single hiccup. If you do give us details and don't be vague!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't be as concerned if it was just once. Guess I should have stated in the original post, its like 7 out of 9 rounds on all 6 mags. I stripped the gun down and looked everything over and can't find what appears to be any major issues. Guess I'll take her out tomorrow and see what happens. I'll be sure to post an update for yall

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The pistol is designed to work as it should when actually being fired. Hand cycling doesn't tell you anything.
The reason we always tell people who ask that they need to shoot the round in there pistol is to make sure that the rounds function reliably in their gun.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Alot of times when your hand cycling your pulling back the slide alot slower and trying to eject a loaded shell, the extra weight of the live rnd combined with less rearward force of the slide might not be enough "oomph" if you catch my drift! .. not saying its a definate in your case.. just a good possibility.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alot of times when your hand cycling your pulling back the slide alot slower and trying to eject a loaded shell, the extra weight of the live rnd combined with less rearward force of the slide might not be enough "oomph" if you catch my drift! .. not saying its a definate in your case.. just a good possibility.

This is what I was thinking. No oomph, and trying to eject a loaded shell instead of just a case. Either way, thanks for the quick replies and I will definitely update after the range tomorrow

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
It really should hand cycle just fine in case you need to tap-rack a dud round.
Maybee take a magnifying glass and see if the extractor has a chip in the claw.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: took her out today. ZERO hiccups. Loving the gun the more I put down the pipe.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Can you expound a bit on what the exact mode and details of the failure were?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can do better than elaborating. here are some pics i just took. 165gr pdx1. It does the same thing with my target ammo and my HD ammo. It doesn't do it while at the range, at least it hasnt yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I can do better than elaborating. here are some pics i just took. 165gr pdx1. It does the same thing with my target ammo and my HD ammo. It doesn't do it while at the range, at least it hasnt yet.
That looks painful! I bet it puts some nice marks in the ammo!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Honestly if the gun works while firing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. But I would worry about cycling rounds too many times. I used to do that and had to throw out some rounds because it was causing them to seat inside the case more than it should, thus making me fear that the case pressure was going to go way up and blow my gun and hands to bits.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Riding the slide or not pulling back hard enough.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

You need to yank that sob back with authority! Looks like you are sloooowly pulling it back until it just releases then letting it go forward. Naturally, that's just my guess from the end result! Feel free to fly me out First class for a better evaluation....

{that's a joke, unless you actually want to get that 1st class ticket... :)}

If it's a new gun, the spring may be pretty tight still and that will make it hard to yank back. Like they say on Swamp People, "Choot it!"

I would also say that there is little to no reason to manually cycle live rounds. If you want to know why -- google up "bullet recession".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts