Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my XD9 for almost a year and 1000 round no problems. Of those 1000, 700 were reloads. Went to the range tonight to compare a new formula to the existing one, because I, changed from an X-treme 115gr plated bullet to a 115gr Delta fmj. From reading the forums and looking in reloading book, the information pointed to reducing the powder. I, reduced the powder from 5.6gr for the X-treme to 5.4gr for the Delta using Power Pistol powder. About 25 rounds into shooting the X-treme rnds, I fire get good bang and recoil. Pull trigger and click. Dropped the mag and than was able to eject spent cart. Looked at cart, it looked fine except the inside looked flakey not like it nomally does. Checked the barral and saw bullet still inside. Got range guy and they had to hammer bullet out. Checked bullet it looks fine, plating was not even broke through to lead. Checked over gun and finished shooting no problems.

My question is was this a coincidence or should I, look for something else?
Also does the 5.4gr powder for the Delta bullet sound ok. I, had good groups and gun functioned good. The 5.4gr powder still has me in about the middle of the min/max powder range.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
What kind of reloading press are you using?
what is your method of measuring the powder charge?
I've had a similar, but not so dramatic incident. I ultimately blamed it on my wife's interruption during a reload. I won't go into the details, but if all of the rest of your loads operated as advertised, it was probably just a reloading error that you'll have to accept and assure that it never happens again.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Had to be a reloading error... if there was enough powder in the brass, then you wouldn't have gotten a squib...

·
Premium Member
1,560 Posts
I've had a similar, but not so dramatic incident. I ultimately blamed it on my wife's interruption during a reload. I won't go into the details, but if all of the rest of your loads operated as advertised, it was probably just a reloading error that you'll have to accept and assure that it never happens again.
Interruption? Oh c'mon!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm using a Lyman press with a Lyman Pro500 scale. I, don't like the scale that much have to measure each round 2 or 3 times. Sent it back to Lyman they recalibrated it, not much better. Now that I, have some extra funds going to buy a good digital scale. Not sure what brand, but open for suggestions.

·
Registered
536 Posts
much better to have a light charge than a double charge!
i've had it happen and I just knock them out. I can usually pinpoint a reason why: yapping on phone, yelling at child dodging cars on her scooter, thug trying to steal truck, etc. if I couldn't recall a reason or possible cause then I completely redo my powder dispensing set up.
BTW, I usually shoot up my loads so there isn't much doubt as to when they were produced. no reason for this except I don't have the time I used to.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
Doc, I'm using the Dillon 550, which has an excellent built in dispenser. I use a RCBS 10-10 to verify my charges. Both of these units are considered the best unit available. I recommend that you use the best unit available when your loading "mini-pipe-bombs".

To prevent interruptions, I moved my loading equipment to a storage room in the back of my small retail store. I reload in the morning before opening for business, or in the evening after closing.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'm using a Lyman press with a Lyman Pro500 scale. I, don't like the scale that much have to measure each round 2 or 3 times. Sent it back to Lyman they recalibrated it, not much better. Now that I, have some extra funds going to buy a good digital scale. Not sure what brand, but open for suggestions.
When I load rounds one at a time, I use a loading block and after charging all the cases, I take a bright flashlight and visually check that each case is filled to the same height. It's really easy to skip over one, drop a portion of the powder, etc.

I have a Dillon electronic scale. It's good but has to be checked with a weight and recalibrated a lot during loading. I mostly use it to weigh brass and bullets as I really don't trust it to load a large amount of ammo. Seems to me that it needs to be calibrated even more often if there is any humidity present!

When I am loading pistol ammo, the powder is dropped by a powder measure in my Dillon 550. When loading rifle ammo (that I care about anyway), I drop a charge close to what I'm looking for and trickle to finish to proper weight. This is done on a balance beam scale.

I haven't heard of a digitial scale that stays calibrated, at not at a price that most people would pay. Buy a powder measure and a balance beam scale, it's relatively fast and very accurate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts