Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently shopping for my first 1911 and I have narrowed it down to either the Kimber CDP II pro or the Pro Carry II Stainless w/ night sights. The problem is that I would like to go with the Pro Carry (price is an issue) but I am concerned about the lack of checkering on the front strap. This will be a CCW. How important is the front strap checkering (I do prefer to have it) and how hard/expensive is it to have it done after market if it is possible at all. Are there other alternatives? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I dont know much about front strap checkering but I too have been interested in one for my RIA. I know Wilson Combat makes an aftermarket one that can be had for only $9.95 blued or stainless. Not a bad price if u ask me. Check it out at Brownells.com

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Front strap checkering is nice, but not required. You can go w/ the Wilson strip, works ok, or have it checkered. Figure about $150+, stippling is just as good & cheaper. Example: Bob Marvel Guns - 1911 Receiver Work

·
Registered
516 Posts
Skateboard tape.
Thats what I did on my Kimber it works as well as the 1911's I have with FS checkering. Keep in mind if you do have it done after market and the frame is anything but unfinished stainless you will need to have the frame refinished. That can easily more than double your cost. And don't forget overnight shipping both ways.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Thats what I did on my Kimber it works as well as the 1911's I have with FS checkering. Keep in mind if you do have it done after market and the frame is anything but unfinished stainless you will need to have the frame refinished. That can easily more than double your cost. And don't forget overnight shipping both ways.
You had better trust whoever does front strap checkering. It's not very thick and very easy to break through.

·
Registered
516 Posts
You had better trust whoever does front strap checkering. It's not very thick and very easy to break through.
Very good point.
I had fears of not liking the job and then having a ruined frame. I did try thr wilson plate but it just did not feel good. It seemed too sharp. I then put on the skateboard tape and haven't again thought about sending it out to be checkered.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
It's not that big of a deal to not have front strap checkering.

It's not cheap to have a pistol checkered though, but you can always get this 1911 AUTO CHECKERED FRONT STRAP at Brownells
or throw a strip of skateboard tape on the front strap.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Front strap checkering is nice, my DW bobtail has it on the front and it makes a really nice feeling grip.

I have the Dan Wesson Bobtail as well and love the front strap checkering. On my last 1911, which was a Springfield Loaded, it didn't have it. It is definitely not mandatory, but it feels great and I would rather have it than not if I had the option.

·
Premium Member
3,144 Posts
I have the Dan Wesson Bobtail as well and love the front strap checkering. On my last 1911, which was a Springfield Loaded, it didn't have it. It is definitely not mandatory, but it feels great and I would rather have it than not if I had the option.
I wish they would have checkered the mainspring housing as well, but I'm happy with the setup I have right now. If, well more like when, I get another 1911 I'll probably get it checkered front/back and definitely another bobtail.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If you look at a higher end Springfield that has the checkering, you'll notice that it is not a standard frame. The front strap has extra material where it is checkered.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You could just have Kimber do the checkering for you.
It's not worth the money it'll cost. Checkering takes a ton of labor and the frame must be refinished. I'd rather spend that money on ammo and a piece of 3M grip tape.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wish they would have checkered the mainspring housing as well, but I'm happy with the setup I have right now. If, well more like when, I get another 1911 I'll probably get it checkered front/back and definitely another bobtail.
Or you could order an Ed Brown bobtail ms housing already checkered.

J

·
Registered
825 Posts
It's not worth the money it'll cost. Checkering takes a ton of labor and the frame must be refinished. I'd rather spend that money on ammo and a piece of 3M grip tape.
Yeah, don't get cheap skateboard tape - get good 3M stuff.

3M "Safety Walk" tape is an enclosed grit tape with an excellent adhesive that doesn't slip or peel. Good stuff.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts