Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I still don't understand the whole "Front Sight" thing. I get that i'm supposed to look at the front sight but how am i supposed to line up my shot?? I mean granted in if it was a person I would hit center mass easy, but when i'm target shooting its hard to see the bulls-eye after about 10yds...

Do I just need to keep shooting with my peripheral vision or am I missing something.

I have heard ppl call it "front sight epiphany" so I guess i just have not had it yet or I just am not impressed...lol, idk

·
Registered
339 Posts
People are not telling you not to look at the rear sight or the target. You are seeing the rear sight, front sight, and your target when you have a proper sight picture. The front sight should however be what you are focused on, and the rear sight / target will get fuzzy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
wreckerman is correct. I would also like to add that when I was younger (20-30ish) I could focus on the front sight and still have a pretty good view of the rear sight and target. Now I am 44 and for the last 5 years or so when I focus on the front sight everything else just disapears. I guess the only reason I can still shoot pretty well is that I have developed the abuility to aim my first shot then bring the gun back to the same spot for follow up shots because I am still getting a pretty tight shot group even though I can barely see my target.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
You essentially answered your own question, yes you do shoot using your peripheral vision. Focus on your front site and use your peripheral vision to line up the rest. Your eyes should be able to do it.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Also...picking up your front sight first is what is taught in a close quater combat scenario. You may not always have the time to center up your shot in a hurry, but the front sight is gonna get ya really close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts