Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody been to Front Sight in Nevada? I went and all I can say is you don't know what you don't know until you go........AWESOME training....

·
Registered
802 Posts
slowburn said:
Anybody been to Front Sight in Nevada? I went and all I can say is you don't know what you don't know until you go........AWESOME training....
locked and cocked for the 4day defensive course in december...

any advice?

im taking my ed brown in an OWB blade-tech kydex holster..
Plan on getting a simple surefire handheld light for the night shooting..

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hope you got a room they fill up quick and get one with a refer if you can...as for advice, prepair for weather of all types they train rain or shine. Have at least two mags but best if you have three better if you have four. Flashlight we bought the "BRINKS" at Walmart, small button on end and very bright.Have good eye and ear protection. You will need a lunch every day and one dinner on the night shoot evening they will tell you.There is an Albertsons market in Parumph. If you are staying in Parumph you are about twenty minutes from Front Sight, if you are staying in Vegas plan on a minimum of fourty five minutes travel and it can be a speed trap from Vegas watch out. Get lots of rest your going to need it. I will not spoil the training with my story, just get ready for the greatest training you can get. You are doing what everyone should do if you own or carry. You will not be sorry. Please report back after you go. What state are you from? I might be going again in Dec as well.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yeah, the 3 of us going are all reserved and got our spots locked in. We are from columbus ohio, and going to the 9-13 4 day course.

We are staying right there in pahrump..didn't want to make that drive..

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
chrome said:
Yeah, the 3 of us going are all reserved and got our spots locked in. We are from columbus ohio, and going to the 9-13 4 day course.

We are staying right there in pahrump..didn't want to make that drive..
Don't be alarmed when you see brothels in Pahrump. Prostitution is legal in Nye County. You're paying enough for the Frontsite training anyway.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Focus on your training....yes gambling and all is legal in Nevada, but thats not what you are going for. If you are going to screw around you might as well stay home. Stay focused and stay rested you are gonna need it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
slowburn said:
Focus on your training....yes gambling and all is legal in Nevada, but thats not what you are going for. If you are going to screw around you might as well stay home. Stay focused and stay rested you are gonna need it.
do you recommend a double magazine holder or 2 singles?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I went there last October for the 4 day class....wasn't impressed..

Too many students in one class, too many uneducated firearm newbies....I can't even begin to count the number of times i was covered with a loaded weapon..Didn't get to fire a round until the 2nd day.....

However, the Blonde girl Candy is hot, and was a pleasure to look at. Gotta love a girl with a gun, .45 1911 at that......hot...

Eat lunch in a large room where they try to sell you memberships, first family etc....

All in all...I would rather spend 450$ and take Rob Leatham's class at Rio Salado..

·
Registered
802 Posts
mullanman said:

Too many students in one class, too many uneducated firearm newbies....I can't even begin to count the number of times i was covered with a loaded weapon..Didn't get to fire a round until the 2nd day.....
sweet.. :roll:

heaven forbid 'uneducated firearm newbies' seek formal instruction on how to handle and shoot a firearm properly. What idiots.. :evil:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mullanman said:

However, the Blonde girl Candy is hot, and was a pleasure to look at. Gotta love a girl with a gun, .45 1911 at that......hot...

Eat lunch in a large room where they try to sell you memberships, first family etc....

All in all...I would rather spend 450$ and take Rob Leatham's class at Rio Salado..
You and I must have gone to a different class, class size was small,good instructor ratio and gun safety was priority we had LEOS and Military male and female. Your description does not even come close to my experience. I am going back again and again it was a great experience. You being so experienced with firearms, did you say anything to anyone when this loaded weapon covered you so many times? Did you learn anything? Were you better at understanding and using your handgun after the class?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
chrome said:
slowburn said:
What ever you are comfortable with, I have a dbl....

·
Registered
802 Posts
slowburn said:
chrome said:
slowburn said:
roger, during any of the courses of fire do you have to reload more than once though?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
chrome said:
slowburn said:
chrome said:
slowburn said:
roger, during any of the courses of fire do you have to reload more than once though?
Yes...depends on shots per mag single or dbl stack 10 or 12 or?

·
Registered
83 Posts
For anyone who is interested in these course and may not know this- certificates good for your choice of several courses (including the 4-day defensive pistol) are commonly available on eBay for about 1/10 the "retail" cost of the course. I picked one up for $120.

Lest this fall into the "sounds too good to be true" area- FS offers "memberships" wherein one can take several classes, as many times as they like...and the memberships include some gift certificates (which are fully transferable). Hence, there's quite a few on the secondary market.

Apologies to those here who already knew this, but I thought the info might be useful for those who didn't.

·
Registered
802 Posts
slowburn said:
chrome said:
slowburn said:
chrome said:
slowburn said:
Yes...depends on shots per mag single or dbl stack 10 or 12 or?

roger, single stack, wilson 8 rounders

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
slowburn said:
mullanman said:

You and I must have gone to a different class, class size was small,good instructor ratio and gun safety was priority we had LEOS and Military male and female. Your description does not even come close to my experience. I am going back again and again it was a great experience. You being so experienced with firearms, did you say anything to anyone when this loaded weapon covered you so many times? Did you learn anything? Were you better at understanding and using your handgun after the class?

You asked for my opinion and you got it. Just because it doesn't 'agree' with your experience, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I liked the instructors, good people.....the instruction was 'boring'.......I didn't come away with anything new. I shoot 2-3 K rounds per month, in multiple competitions and for practice, sometimes more. I conceal carry, I run our Local USPSA club....so i am versed well when it comes to firearms.

As far as Newbies are concerned, its fine they are getting training....but sorry Chrome....when i have to repeatedly tell someone next to me 'trigger' "muzzle', i tend to get a little pissed.

Their problem was (front site) is they didn't take the actual 'newbies' from 'newbies' who have shot a little, and form distinct groups. You are defined by your weakest link...we had many in our class. Many still after a 4 day handgun course, still couldn't draw their firearm, yet along perform a tac reload. I cannot even begin to count the number of AD's that occured during my time at front site....

I would go back and do the tact carbine and shotgun class, those I spoke to had a good time.

·
Registered
802 Posts
mullanman said:
I conceal carry, I run our Local USPSA club....so i am versed well when it comes to firearms.

As far as Newbies are concerned, its fine they are getting training....but sorry Chrome....when i have to repeatedly tell someone next to me 'trigger' "muzzle', i tend to get a little pissed.

I cannot even begin to count the number of AD's that occured during my time at front site....

ummmm......

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
All i can say dude is,

Whatever.

check on USPSA.org look under new mexico under 'where can i find a match' you'll see my name.

Robert Mullan uspsa # l2683

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Chrome nice shot......classic!!!!

While at Front Sight usually there is a John Wang in every class..they are very superior in every way and will let you know just how great and experienced they are. I find them the most dangerous. If you go to Front Sight and don't come away with one thing, you didn't pay attention.

The training was Awesome.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts