Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from Front Sight. In the Four Day defensive handgun class we spent most of our 9 hour days on the range, for four days straight! There was also a night shoot.

My thoughts are this was a difficult course even for the experienced shooter.

Has any one else been to FS what did you think?

How did you do on the skills test?

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
Give us a little rundown on the drills you went through.

Let's hear the good, the bad and of course the ugly.

Thanks, bd

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a structured range program that culminates in being able to draw from a concealed holster fire a controlled pair to the thoracic cavity on a target that flips toward you for less than two seconds. Done from 3,5,7,10,15,25 meters. As you get farther back the time increases to give you more time to get a sight picture. Also precision cranio-occular shots were tested. malfunctions clearing and reloads were tested.

The course started at the beginning...it was unique in that it was for the first timer and the seasoned pro. I think this was because they have a strong idea of how things should be done and stuck to it and gave reasons for the way they do it.

The drills were learning the parts to get you to do well for the test. From the three secrets (alignment, focus, trigger control) to shooting from a dropped knee.

Instructors watched and picked out mistakes and told you how to fix a miss.

There were shooting houses with a home invasion scenario where targets pop up and swing in.

There was a man on man shooting contest.

My screw ups were a dying flashlight during the night shooting. Jamming my finger clearing a type 3 malfunction. Doing the hot brass boogie when I got an ejected shell down my shirt. And pulling out a magazine pouch during the emergency reload test.

I highly rec. the training.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It sounds like you were there when my friends and I were - we were on Range 1A with Candi. She was The Bomb.

I meant to write up my experience at Frontsight, mostly to tell others of how thorough and high-quality the training was. Of how I went from someone who can shoot well to someone who can shoot REALLY well, VERY fast. I would recommend, without reservation, this 4-day defensive handgun course to anyone, and would go so far to say that I'd try to mandate it to anyone carrying a gun regularly.

I missed 15 points on the skills test - only missed 6 points in the shooting portion. I should have practiced more, but we were damn tired every night...

- Mike

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sounds like you folks had a great time. Did they require you to use any particular stance or techniques?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweater (Mike),
Only 6 points, that is awsome...did you grad with distinction? My friend and I graduated with close to 30's.

You are right that after a day and after four days one gets very tired. I think I shot better the fourth morning than for the skills test. We were on range 7 with Wes (the guy who lectured too), he was excellent with a true gift for teaching.

Ans to the question about stance. They had us stand with about a 30 degree turn with the non-shooting side forward. I don't know what this stance is called. I was happy to be taught one way although it took awhile to get used to doing their way.

I took my new skills to the range with a few guys I had asked to go with me but couldn't. They were blown away since they knew how I shot before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts