Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
I held forward hand around the magwell before I got a VFG.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Yeah, not the mag, but I grip the magwell.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
I held forward hand around the magwell before I got a VFG.

penicillin help that vfg?

hehe, just sounds funny. I lack an AR (my whining can be read in other threads) but when I am blessed with the opportunity to hold greatness I use the mag-well for 'quick' shooting and wrap the sling around the arm / grip the shroud when needing to hit something very small.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have the 20" heavy barrel on mine, so it doesn't seem to work well on my gun. It's on the bi-pod almost all the time anyway, it's the jackrabbit terminator. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting an M4 upper and just wondering how it works on the shorter, lighter upper.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Same. I'm starting to think it's a bad habit.
I dunno that it's a bad habit. I took a couple of rifle classes and the instructor said that's an option to use, and is what he uses and most of the officers he teaches hold their rifle that way. I have a VFG, but find myself leaving it off the rifle and still gripping around the magwell. Works great when shooting while moving, at least for me anyway.

Another guy I know, also LEO, suggested I hold the Class III MP5 that way when I got to shoot it. Ohhhh soooo nice. :cool:

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Gripping the magwell is how I was taught.

Keep your elbows IN, keep your center of gravity LOW, you can run and pivot faster and never lose your sights.

Don't need the chicken-wing, there is no recoil.

I show this to people who rent an AR at the range and the LIGHT GOES ON in their heads. It's the best way.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Only downside to gripping the magwell for me is my wedding ring rubs the finish. :p

·
Registered
531 Posts
I dunno that it's a bad habit. I took a couple of rifle classes and the instructor said that's an option to use, and is what he uses and most of the officers he teaches hold their rifle that way. I have a VFG, but find myself leaving it off the rifle and still gripping around the magwell. Works great when shooting while moving, at least for me anyway.

Another guy I know, also LEO, suggested I hold the Class III MP5 that way when I got to shoot it. Ohhhh soooo nice. :cool:
It definitely feels more natural to me that way, I don't like being spread out all along the rifle. I like having my hands in.

·
Registered
184 Posts
If you were really dedicated, you'd get divorced.
Funniest damn thing I've heard/read all day.

It definitely feels more natural to me that way, I don't like being spread out all along the rifle. I like having my hands in.
+1. I don't even have mine completed yet and I can already tell it feels more natural for me.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
No, but it gave me a strong urge to build an AR-10 :twisted:

ETA: a little info on why I use a VFG, it is a nice place to mount the tapeswitch for laser, and makes it easy to operate my non-tapeswitch equipped (and therefore hopefully more reliable) white light. I personally have not had a tapeswitch fail but know people who have. My VFG is placed as close as possible to the magwell. It also provides 'right there' storage for an extra bolt/firing pin or batteries if SHTF & I had to 'travel'.

penicillin help that vfg?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts