Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might be in the wrong section please move if so. So im pullin in my buddys driveway last night (10 30 ish) we were meeting there and i was the first to arrive. pullin into the driveway i notice his front door is wide open. knowin him his fiancee and daughter with him i knew there was no reason for the door to be open. so i cut my truck off hangin halfway into the street and pull my pistol and procede of the front porch. I was very proud of myself for remembering what i have learned. hugging the walls, watchin corners, slicing the pie, and keep my gun close. After clearing the entire house (adrenaline still blasting) and finding no one inside, nothing missing, and no forced entry i realized everthing was gtg. as i walked back out front to smoke a cig, my boy pulls up like wtf are you doing in my house, just playin, until i told him why i was in there he turned dead serious. just thought i would share my experience.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
That happened to me once when I went to visit my family back in MS. I didn't have a handgun on me (shame shame, I know) and it was VERY strange to find their door wide open with nobody home. I knew my dad kept his hunting rifle in the laundry room in a closet (which is where the door that was open led into the house) so I grabbed it and cleared the house. There was nothing funny about it at the time as I really expected to find someone in there. I could hear a sound coming from the far room that ended up being a ceiling fan that was making a knocking sound. When it was over and the house was verified clear and my nerves calmed down, I did kind of chuckle at the thought of what I must have looked like clearing a 5 bedroom house with a 30.06 deer rifle wearing board shorts and a wife beater, lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ha yea i was in a beater and flip flops comin in like the swat team. and come to think of it im glad none of his neighbors saw me creep in with my pistol drawn that could have bit me in the arse. but yea its humorous now.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
ha yea i was in a beater and flip flops comin in like the swat team. and come to think of it im glad none of his neighbors saw me creep in with my pistol drawn that could have bit me in the arse. but yea its humorous now.

I hope you kicked the flip flops off before you made your entry :shock:. Hard to sneak up on the bad guy....

flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop flip-flop, round the corner and BANG!!!, you're dead. ;)

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
That happened to me once when I went to visit my family back in MS. I didn't have a handgun on me (shame shame, I know) and it was VERY strange to find their door wide open with nobody home. I knew my dad kept his hunting rifle in the laundry room in a closet (which is where the door that was open led into the house) so I grabbed it and cleared the house. There was nothing funny about it at the time as I really expected to find someone in there. I could hear a sound coming from the far room that ended up being a ceiling fan that was making a knocking sound. When it was over and the house was verified clear and my nerves calmed down, I did kind of chuckle at the thought of what I must have looked like clearing a 5 bedroom house with a 30.06 deer rifle wearing board shorts and a wife beater, lol.
You mean you DON'T do that on your typical weekend evening...man...I thought you were a jarhead....heh :razz:

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
You mean you DON'T do that on your typical weekend evening...man...I thought you were a jarhead....heh :razz:

I know, right? I must be slippin :)

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
Wide O

By

Elsin Ann Perry

Maybe I’ll put my head under the pillow—no, that’s no good. I can
imagine him, whoever he is, sneaking up on me. Okay, that does it!
I’m going to get up and stay up, put the lights on in the living room,
turn on the television.

Oh, I hate going into the dark . . . there! Overhead light on,
floor lamp on, TV on, nice and loud. Now I’ll just sit down and
relax and watch the—

Hey, what was that? Oh. Old houses creak, remember? If it
creaked when Bill was here, it’ll creak when he’s away, and it’s just—
just something in the house. It’s only your imagination, old girl,
that’s what it is. And the more sleepy you get, the more vivid
your imagination will get.

All the doors are locked, right? And all the windows, ditto.
Okay, then. So I feel like an idiot, trying to stay up all night.
Well, sitting here in the living room is a lot better than doing what
I did the last time Bill was away overnight! Locking myself in the
bathroom and staying there until dawn, for heaven’s sake—

Oh—Oh, the furnace clicked on, that’s all that was! Calm
down, girl, calm down! The trouble with you is, you read the
papers. You should read the comics and stop there. No, I have to
read MOTHER OF THREE ATTACKED BY INTRUDER and
WOMAN FOUND BEATEN TO DEATH IN HOME. But, oh,
they were so close to us! That old lady lived—what was it, only three,
four blocks away? But she lived alone, and nobody knows I’m alone
tonight. I hope.

What is the matter with me?! I’m acting like a child. Other
women live alone—for years, even—and here I have to stay by myself
for just one measly little night and I go all to pieces.

Sure seems cold in here! The furnace was on—still is on, in
fact. Must be my nerves. I’ll go into the kitchen and make myself a
nice hot cup of tea. Good idea! Maybe that’ll warm me up!

Now, where is that light switch . . . there . . . well, no WONDER I’m
cold, with the back door standing wide o-

·
Premium Member
127,706 Posts
That's how I enter my house every night! There's no tellin' what kind of mood the wife is in so I would rather be safe than sorry. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
29,734 Posts
Stupid.

Cops won't enter on their own unless they know there's a compelling reason.

There was no good reason to go in. Think there's a problem in someplace that's not your house*? Call the cops.

(And even if it's your own house...unless there's a damn good reason--you know, beyond a doubt family is inside, etc...as a a guy I know who is on several tac teams said "there's easier ways of committing suicide")

·
Registered
416 Posts
Stupid.

There was no good reason to go in. Think there's a problem in someplace that's not your house*? Call the cops.

(And even if it's your own house...unless there's a damn good reason--you know, beyond a doubt family is inside, etc...as a a guy I know who is on several tac teams said "there's easier ways of committing suicide")
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Why go in? My thought has always been that if I come home to my front door open when it shouldn't be, back out, take a defensive position where I can see the door and call the cavalry.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Why go in? My thought has always been that if I come home to my front door open when it shouldn't be, back out, take a defensive position where I can see the door and call the cavalry.
You're definitely not the only one.

No reason to go in. Call 911. Take up a safe location where you can observe. No telling how many are in the house and how well they are armed. If the homeowner came home, in a split second he could mistake you for a intruder. Neighbors see you and report man with a gun entering a residence.

·
Registered
31,568 Posts
Bad: Would hate to have to explain to the cops why you shot someone in another persons home.

Worse: Would hate to get shot in another persons home.

Best: Wait outside, call your friend and make sure he is okay, are you home, did you leave the door open, no, call the cops.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Very dumb move, Callahan! Glad somebody didn't "make your day". Did you have your CWP badge out too?

911 is only a call away.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
You're definitely not the only one.

No reason to go in. Call 911. Take up a safe location where you can observe. No telling how many are in the house and how well they are armed. If the homeowner came home, in a split second he could mistake you for a intruder. Neighbors see you and report man with a gun entering a residence.
Pretty much anyone who's been around here for any length of time already knows my position on "clearing" houses so I won't belabor it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Stupid.

I kinda have to agree ... call the cops, they come as a team and are trained for this. I would have called them and continued to observe the place.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Stupid.

I agree, to a point. I went in because I didn't know if my grandmother (who has severe MS and is bedridden) was home or OK. They also live in the middle of absolutely no where out in the county and the Sheriff's Department would have taken way longer to get there than I was willing to wait.

If my grand mother HAD been in there and there HAD been an intruder that harmed her, I would have never been able to forgive myself for standing outside waiting to be saved.

Sometimes, regardless of the risk, action is called for. I'm not for the "we all become super heroes when we buy a gun" youtube movement BUT sometimes you have to man up even when it is dangerous. Even though I hadn't lived with my parents for many years, I grew up in that house and still consiter it "home." I wasn't going to wait 20 mins to have a Sheriff tell me everything was OK.

JMO

Had I been the OP, I would have called the home owner and then the cops assuming that he lived in a "populated area" where a cop would have been available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i acted purely on instinct. average response time for my city is 17 1/2 minutes. also third highest crime rate in the state. again i acted on instinct.

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
I agree, to a point. I went in because I didn't know if my grandmother (who has severe MS and is bedridden) was home or OK. They also live in the middle of absolutely no where out in the county and the Sheriff's Department would have taken way longer to get there than I was willing to wait.

If my grand mother HAD been in there and there HAD been an intruder that harmed her, I would have never been able to forgive myself for standing outside waiting to be saved.

Sometimes, regardless of the risk, action is called for. I'm not for the "we all become super heroes when we buy a gun" youtube movement BUT sometimes you have to man up even when it is dangerous. Even though I hadn't lived with my parents for many years, I grew up in that house and still consiter it "home." I wasn't going to wait 20 mins to have a Sheriff tell me everything was OK.

JMO

Had I been the OP, I would have called the home owner and then the cops assuming that he lived in a "populated area" where a cop would have been available.
When a loved ones life is at stake...yes I agree..action is required. Plus...it's bullcrap and very disingenuous to NOT protect yourself and your loved ones and then expect someone else to put his life at risk for YOU, yes officers are paid to do that kinda stuff..but dammit..self defense starts with self.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts