Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Few months back traded a kahr pm9 for an xds 45 with extras + a p3at with extras.

Trigger on xds worst of any gun I have ever owned and could barely hit paper at 10 yards.

Pull was 8.5 lbs.

Ordered prp spring kit. Couldn't get it back together right so my man andrew4fins put it back together for me and adjusted safety spring.

We got it down to a consistent 5.5lbs (kit only got it to 7.5-8ish. Nice break and reset.

Went to range today and began to punch a bullseye hole at 7 yards.

Even managed to land 2 in the red bullseye (out of 15 rounds) at 25 yards. Something I've never done with any handgun ( I can't really see too well at that distance so I don't attempt it much).

This may now be the most accurate of all my guns so far (xdm 40 compAct which I love ) glock 21gen4 (which I just got) Taurus 1911 (another tack driver), 226r 9mm, etc.

I have never had any feed or eject issues when firing.

I went from having no confidence in my ability to hit with this to having extreme confidence in it as a personal defensive weapon.

Thanks for hookin it up Andrew!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Few months back traded a kahr pm9 for an xds 45 with extras + a p3at with extras.

Trigger on xds worst of any gun I have ever owned and could barely hit paper at 10 yards.

Pull was 8.5 lbs.

Ordered prp spring kit. Couldn't get it back together right so my man andrew4fins put it back together for me and adjusted safety spring.

We got it down to a consistent 5.5lbs (kit only got it to 7.5-8ish. Nice break and reset.

Even managed to land 2 in the red bullseye (out of 15 rounds) at 25 yards. Something I've never done with any handgun ( I can't really see too well at that distance so I don't attempt it much).

This may now be the most accurate of all my guns so far (xdm 40 compAct which I love ) glock 21gen4 (which I just got) Taurus 1911 (another tack driver), 226r 9mm, etc.

I went from having no confidence in my ability to hit with this to having extreme confidence in it as a personal defensive weapon.

Sorry,but if three pounds of trigger pull weight makes that big of a difference ,you have other problems.

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Sorry,but if three pounds of trigger pull weight makes that big of a difference ,you have other problems.
He very well might. Off hand, I can think of many physical ailments affecting flexor tendons, nerve damage, or broken bones involving pins in the wrist or forearm.

The point is...I don't know what other problems or skill sets are involved.

And neither do you.

If his results have improved and he likes the gun, that's all that counts. Have fun, Mike!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
He very well might. Off hand, I can think of many physical ailments affecting flexor tendons, nerve damage, or broken bones involving pins in the wrist or forearm.

And neither do you.

If his results have improved and he likes the gun, that's all that counts. Have fun, Mike!

Well said!

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
My mother is another example. The xds 9 OOB was too heavy trigger. Put in the PRP for her and she's good to go. Arthritic fingers.....2-3 pounds can make a HUGE difference.
Glad you found love for it Mike!

·
Registered
414 Posts

And neither do you.

Whatever you wanna believe.
The problems I was refering to were with technique ,not physical handicaps.
A light trigger will mask fundamental problems with technique .
I cut my trigger finger half off thirty years ago and do not have full dexterity,I learned to work around it,and can shoot just fine with Glocks that have NY1 trigger springs installed,and revolvers with 12 lb double action pulls.There is no reason 3 lbs should turn a pistol that wont hit paper at 10 yds into a 25 yd tackdriver that can not be cured with good form.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hmm if trigger weight doesn't matter. Why the heck do we change them out or polish etc. Seems that if he is happy that is fine. I mean seriously, that's why we mess with triggers, it's not always technique.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There's a ********* in every thread here. We found ours. Right. Trigger weight makes noooo difference. Douche!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Glad the trigger worked out for you. If someone thinks 3 pounds doesn't make a big difference, they obviously have not shot a competition gun where ounces count.

Dave

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Whatever you wanna believe.
Actually it's whatever anyone wants to believe. You're no exception.

I'd rather give the guy the benefit of the doubt and be glad for his improved results.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Would not claim "expert". But I was lo left, lo left, forever with my xdm 40. Some of the fix technique. No question. I worked on it. BUT, the trigger finally loosened up due to number of rounds down the pipe.

Now, at the range I've heard, "You should shoot competitively". And, "I would not want to be the intruder at your house". Some BS in there. Sure.

The trigger can screw up good technique, IMHO. At some point (like 8 pounds!!!) I would think good technique almost impossible!! Sheeesh!!

Funny, still lo left with my 45. It needs work!

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
All this talk about trigger pull weight helped me make my decision on what I'm taking to the range tomorrow ;)

My 1911 with a 2.75# pull. It's really no fun to shoot, I mean, putting one hole in another and all :lol:

And my new OD Gen 4 G19.

My XDs .45 was around 5# pre-recall, and around 8 post. Gritty, crappy trigger. Installed the PRP kit, polished it up, dry fired it hundreds of times...now it is smooth & crisp, just over 5. Still a keeper & a favorite EDC.

Happy shooting :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

Pull was 8.5 lbs.

Awesome, glad you got it working to YOUR satisfaction. Now you owe your buddy lunch. :)

·
Banned
20,993 Posts
There's a ********* in every thread here. We found ours. Right. Trigger weight makes noooo difference. Douche!

Yep....you're it....personal attacks are a good way to get shown the door....fyi

·
Registered
230 Posts
Three pounds pull weight makes a difference for you. If you can't even admit that i think you're the one with the problems.

I would much rather have a 5 lb trigger than an 8, but I understand the point m4carbine is making. I can sympathize with not wanting an 8 lb pull on my gun, but if it degraded accuracy significantly, it would tell me my technique could use some work - working through the problem and using the 8 lb trigger would be like high altitude training. But I wouldn't carry with the 8 lb trigger if I had a comparable gun with a 5 lb trigger.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
3 lbs doesn't sound like much, but it really is a huge difference when it comes to trigger weight. Especially going from 8.5 to 5.5.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I would much rather have a 5 lb trigger than an 8, but I understand the point m4carbine is making. I can sympathize with not wanting an 8 lb pull on my gun, but if it degraded accuracy significantly, it would tell me my technique could use some work - working through the problem and using the 8 lb trigger would be like high altitude training. But I wouldn't carry with the 8 lb trigger if I had a comparable gun with a 5 lb trigger.
I agree to an extent. This is a touchy subject with me. If the guy had said it was now a 3lb pull i would be more likely to see M4carbines point.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This wasn't a smooth double action 8.5lbs. When you stacked the trigger it was 8.5 lbs to break. Good luck not jerking the gun with that.
My buddy who adjusted it (and has and xds 45 with a 5lb trigger couldn't shoot mine for **** either yet we both dead on with his and I KNOW he can shoot.

It's amazing how my technique sucks but I have no issue being accurate with my 226, 1911, kahr cm9, 709 slim xdm 40 compact or my g21. It's obvious it was me and not the gun. Must have been andrew4fins problem too. We just don't know how to shoot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts