Do I let my friend shoot?

• Yes, because it will open his mind.

• No, because he's being a jackass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a friend who I've allowed to shoot my .22 pistol before. He's an OK shot with a long gun, but doesn't have the skills for a pistol. He's MOSTLY in a pie plate @ 10 yds, but he's just not mastered it yet. He shoots low and left, but he's also normally left handed. I told him he should just shoot lefty, and see how he does, but he seems to prefer shooting righty. Now because he can't even come close to me in accuracy, he doesn't see that ANYBODY needs to shoot a handgun. So, now he wants to shoot the XD 45 (4" compact). I told him he can't shoot it until he opens his mind about handguns. The really sad part is, I'm NOT that good of a shot with a handgun. I'm OK at best, hitting a pie plate @ 15 yds. In fact, I'm BETTER with a bow and arrow!!!!! I'm getting better, but I need practice. Now the question is, should I let said friend shoot, or tell him to STFU and acknowledge handguns can be useful in the right (pardon the pun) hands. I think with some instruction, he'd come around. The other question is whether I should try to get him to shoot righty, or lefty? I think he'd be better lefty, but I dunno. He's almost ambidextrous. :confused:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Every time I have ever taken a 'anti-gunner' shooting they usually change their mind about guns quickly. I have personally been responsible for the purchase of countless military pattern firearms upon my coworkers.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Every time I have ever taken a 'anti-gunner' shooting they usually change their mind about guns quickly. I have personally been responsible for the purchase of countless military pattern firearms upon my coworkers.
What causes them to change their minds? I'm in a position where three people close to me are extremely anti-gun. They're not bad people necessarily, they just didn't grow up with guns and think that being anti-gun is morally superior, and they try to be moral people.

What do you do with them or tell them to open their eyes?

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He's been a good friend since my early teens. He just has his head FIRMLY imbedded in his ass when it comes to hand guns. I allready tried making fun of him, and calling him a hypocryt for wanting to shoot it. He really beleives handguns are dangerous, evil weapons that shouldn't be legal. His opinion of long guns wasn't like this, but I didn't know him all that long before we went shooting. I've never heard such an ignorant, idiotic opinion out of somebody I usually respect. It's not like he hasn't shot a handgun before. I used to think I didn't need a handgun, but TIMES ARE CHANGING!!! Never thought people shouldn't be allowed to own them, but I'm all for the freedom to do what you want.

Ive turned a few people around too, usually girls though. HEY, that's an idea, I need to find one of the girls that used to like shooting, and introduce them! It's amazing what tits can do to a young man's mind!!!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I voted no because he is being a jackass.

Even if you let him shoot your gun I don't think he will come around to "our way of thinking". Seems like he has made up his mind and you won't change him.

I have a brother in law who is an Ahole. Very opinionated. Knows everything. I tolerate the guy, he would do anything for you or help you out with anything, but he is still an Ahole. He was even in the service and he is very ANTI-GUN. Voted for Obama. Thinks the way around gun control is just ban the bullets. Let people have guns. Just don't let them have any bullets and ban them. Like I said..........he is an Ahole.

I really think you need to find a new friend. Maybe keep him as a friend, but find a new "gun" friend.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some people I loosely call friends, that's our only common interest. Some law enforcement, some hunters, some just like to shoot. I don't necessarily share some of thier values either. We kind of ignore our differences so we can get together and shoot stuff. Works for me, you learn a LOT that way! :cool:

Just never had somebody so stubbornly opposed to a specific type of gun! His last remark was "You can't hit anything with that." , I said, "No, you can't hit anythign with that, I blew up a tea jug with my first shot!". I dunno, maybe it's his lack of skill making him feel un-manly. :p

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
What causes them to change their minds? I'm in a position where three people close to me are extremely anti-gun. They're not bad people necessarily, they just didn't grow up with guns and think that being anti-gun is morally superior, and they try to be moral people.

What do you do with them or tell them to open their eyes?
go over the function of the gun and gun safety carefully and patiently. take the weapon apart and show them all the parts and how they interact. then, let them shoot...most people fear what they do not understand. holding an explosion in your hand can be scary for some, but i've only ever seen one person say "no...i really don't like this." after the safety/operation talk and squeezing off a few. ymmv.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
Let him shoot it. After the first time tell him he'll have to go in and help defray the cost of ammo though.

Ammo's expensive. I could blow $500 worth of ammunition in a day at the range if I weren't careful.

That being said make sure you give him a good once over of the commandments.
1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

2. Never allow the muzzle to point at anything you are not willing to see destroyed.

3. Be sure of your target and know what lies behind it.

4. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on target.

5. Be sure your guns are never accessible to unauthorized or untrained individuals.

Gun safety isn't a trait it's a habit.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You might want to try this as well.
Start with the basics. Like the above post suggests start with gun familiarization. Field strip it, and as you are doing so gently go thru gun safety.
After that dry fire looking at how the gun acts when youn squeze the trigger. (if you are uncomfortable with dry fire use snap caps). Have your friend do this with both hands, but stress using the hand on the domonant side. If they are having problems with flinching you might want to try what I saw Rob Latham do on Shooting USA. Have them hold the gun and you pull the trigger for them. This takes out the movement fo their finger and them anticipating the trigger.
Remember lots of dry fire. Once you are sure your basics are good go back to the range and do live fire.
Shooting a handgun is not as easy as it sounds for a lot of people. Practice is the only way to get good.
As for your friend, be patient and he will eventualy come around, maybe. If he doesn't, so what, not all my friends share my hobbies and I don't expect them too.
Have fun and be safe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts