Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The title says it all.

My questions: are frangible rounds such as the Glaser Safety Slug worth the money?

Also--I was recently told by a local sporting goods store that Glaser Safety Slugs are no longer being produced--is this true?

Is there a better frangible round?

My personal defense rounds at the moment are Rem. 230gr JHP--only rounds my local sporting goods store carries, but looking for something that can lessen over penetration even more, yet still be effective--am I asking for too much?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm not necessarily endorsing them, but Extreme Shock, makers of the Fang Face frangible round seem to have the cutting edge technology. Their rounds are made of a compressed tungsten powder.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
Frangible rounds are definitely worth the money if you plan on shooting steel targets at extremely close range.

If you want less penetration try going with a lighter bullet with a higher velocity. IIRC, that decreases penetration.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Frangible rounds are definitely worth the money if you plan on shooting steel targets at extremely close range.

If you want less penetration try going with a lighter bullet with a higher velocity. IIRC, that decreases penetration.
While a round like the Glaser MAY have some validity as a first round in the chamber, it is likely to require follow up shots. It can still penetrate bldg. matl, but to a much lesser degree than JHP. The problem w/ using them as an entire mag full, is reliability testing & barrier penetration. If you have to shoot at a BG behind almost any cover, you are going to be lacking in enough pentration to cause much mor ethan a surfacewound.
While just about any JHP is a good choice for the 45acp, that Rem.230gr is likely to penetrate deep in whatever you hit & expand little. If you are worried about overpenetration, drop to a round like the 185gr WWSTHP or Fed. 185grJHP. Both good rounds, expand well & penetrate quite a bit less than most 230grJHP.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
no

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Prefragmented rounds are not very reliable stoppers. The "mall ninja" Extreme Shock and Glaser safety slugs do not penetrate very well once they hit a BG. With 4" inches of penetration in most cases the round does not cause any significant damage at less than optimal angles. Even at an optimal unobstructed, front abdomem shot the round will not penetrate deep enough, and the fragments woud not cause significant damage to vital organs, acording to terminal balistics experts.
If you'll check this site The Box O' Truth #23 - ExtremeShock™ Ammo and the Box O' Truth - Page 1
you'll see that these preframented round tend to act like regular rounds when hitting drywall thus penetration is not much less than an HP round.

12 inches of penetration in ballistics gelatin is required for a round to be considered an effective personal defense round.

1. Claim: Their rounds are supposed to penetrate walls less than standard ammo.
Findings: The Fang Face penetrated 11 drywall boards, or over 5 interior walls without expanding or fragmenting. The Air Freedom round penetrated 4 boards, or 2 walls.

Less than a standard JHP round which penetrated all 12 boards, but still some penetration.

2. Claim: They are supposed to be able to penetrate a bad guy enough to be effective Stoppers.
Findings: Both the Fang Face and Air Freedom rounds only fully penetrated 1 jug and slightly entered the second jug.

This is equilivant of 3 or 4 inches of penetration in ballistic gelatin. Some experts have doubts that this is enough penetration to reach the vital organs of a bad guy.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
check out the boxoftruth.com he did a right up on the extreme shock stuff that was donated by members here at xdtalk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts