Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a question about the XDs and their frame grooves. Back a year or so ago, I had an XD 40 and it had the rails with one frame groove. Recently, I bought an XD9 and it has TWO grooves in the frame. A buddy of mine bought an XD9 with a later serial number than mine, and his only has one.

I know this is a factory thing, because on mine, the serial number plate is farther to the rear than on those with just one groove.

I have not seen this before and none of the dealers I've spoken with have noticed it either.

Can anyone shed some light? Is this a frame generation thing? Why would my old XD40 and my buddy's newer XD9 both have only one groove but mine, being made sometime in between those two, have two grooves?

I'm assuming that they put that second groove there for the XML, but why not on all the newer ones?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I am not sure what you are talking about? Are you talking about the accessory rail on the frame? If so, there is only one grove on each side on mine.. I don't think the old HS2000 had the accessory rail.. but I could be wrong about that.. I don't know anything about two rails though...

Raymond

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not the rails themselves, but the locking grooves that go from the left side of the frame to the right under the dust cover. They allow the locking bar for accessories to lock them in place on the gun. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
hmmm.. mine has one locking grove on the underside.. Please do find a pic.. because If my GD pistol was sold to me without one of the grooves.. well I am gonna be pissed! LOL..

Seriously, A pic would help so that I can see exactly what you are talking about..

Raymond

·
Registered
56 Posts
i too saw this in my other "house" the gun shop..lol.. and asked.. the dealer never noticed before i pointed it out.. and he has no idea either.. but the weapon i noticed it on was a 9mm compact.... by the way he is talking about the the locking point that say an m6 would latch into

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, here's a pic I snapped of my XD. It's a 4" XD9 Bi-tone. I left the first two digits of the serial (after the "US" of course) and 'shopped the other digits :)

My buddy's is a "95XXXX" serial so that would mean mine was made earlier than his, or at least my pistol was assembled before his.

I've yet to see another XD like this. Notice how the serial number plate is moved back into where the the trigger guard begins.

Odd...

·
Registered
18 Posts
My XD 40 Bought last September has one but all the Pictures in the 2005 XD catalog Shows them with 2 except the subcompacts they have one

·
Registered
182 Posts
k8ysv said:
Ok, here's a pic I snapped of my XD. It's a 4" XD9 Bi-tone. I left the first two digits of the serial (after the "US" of course) and 'shopped the other digits :)

My buddy's is a "95XXXX" serial so that would mean mine was made earlier than his, or at least my pistol was assembled before his.

I've yet to see another XD like this. Notice how the serial number plate is moved back into where the the trigger guard begins.

Odd...

I've never seen that before, but I bet they added the second cutout so you can comfortably use an XML on a Service or Tactical XD. They designed the XML for use with the XD, but everyone with Service and Tactical XDs have been buying M6s and such.
-hype

·
Registered
91 Posts
The newer model service and tactical models have an extra rail groove to accept the XML and other compact-sized rail attachments without leaving all the space between the trigger guard and the back of the attachment.

Edit:

I see this was posted above but there you have it;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
has anyone seen a picture of the xml mounted on one of these newer frames? I wonder how it looks with the lamp portion flush with the muzzle of the pistol...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
PoSSoM said:
The newer model service and tactical models have an extra rail groove to accept the XML and other compact-sized rail attachments without leaving all the space between the trigger guard and the back of the attachment.
This was my original thought but it didn't explain the later serial numbered (thus theoretically newer) pistols having the old style frame. The only explanation I can think of for that would be that Springfield offered this 3-mags-and-a-holster deal (which my friend's is) as a way to move out all of their older style frames.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts