Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ckelly/btcxdlarge.jpg

Okay, because I had to resize some of the pictures it takes away from the detail on the grip. The last URL is to a 1280x1024 picture so its going to be very large. Its easier to see the stippling and front strap. Being a black frame doesnt help either.

I am extremely pleased with the results! When I pick up the gun now it feels planted in my hand. To me it was worth my money. Did not take very long at all either...or at least it didnt seem like it. About two weeks I think...maybe less time was passing me by quickly. At any rate, thought I would pass the info/pictures along to everybody.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I like it. The front strap checkering looks like it was cut in, but was the rest of the texturing cut in, or was it melted in?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willbond said:
I like it. The front strap checkering looks like it was cut in, but was the rest of the texturing cut in, or was it melted in?
I think its melted in on the texturing. The color of the frame is not discolored when he did the stippling. Where he cut down the rear grip tang it is somewhat different colored. Hence why I say the stippling is melted in.

The front strap looks like it was supposed to be there. He did a very good job there. Well actually he did a great job all around.

Work for everything I had done including shipping was 280. For those of you looking to knock some dollars off of that figure - The front strap was 75. It was not totally necessary because a full 360 stippling would have covered the front too. I just wanted a steel insert in the front because I like the feel of metal and the look also. But from a practical standpoint..there is little to no difference at all between the stippling and checkered insert in terms of gripping.

So really if you just wanted to improve the grip...full stippling with trigger gaurd done would run 115.00 + shipping. The work I had done was the following: Rear grip tang cut down, magazine well cutouts, full 360 stippling, stippling under trigger gaurd full, and steel checkered insert black.

I plan to shoot it soon...but then its going out again next week. This time to Tripp Research to have it Cobra Chromed along with some parts from my AR. I am going to have the magazines done in cobra coat black as the stainless is quite reflective and I am going to carry my XD concealed. The Cobra Chrome job will be in Matte so that shouldnt be such a problem. Also need to get a IWB holster from tucker gun leather ordered up. Then I should be done tinkering with my XD. :lol:

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It looks good!

One question though, what is the purpose of the magazine well cut-outs? I am assuming that is the term for the crescent shaped portion of the grip that has been removed.

Raymond

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get a better grip when removing a stuck mag...which has yet to happen to me. In fact all of my mags drop freely with the mag release button. Its just an extra precaution.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
I am glad you like the custom work. Maybe it's just my preference, but I like to keep things stock. (I do have an interest in some ring sights though). I guess it is just not in my nature to change a factory stock item.
You probably don't use the weak hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard shooting technique? I do and I could benefit from that stippling modification in that area. The stock trigger guard has a slippery front grip surface.
Keep up the good work, yours is probably the most tricked out XD to date! :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
CtKelly that pistol looks great. I know you already said you had it done at BTC but I'm not familiar with them. Could you enlighten me on where my pistol needs to go now? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
STUCK MAGS WTF?
Never had or heard of this problem!
Lubrication should fix it!
The mag release will get gummed up so you just have to clean and lube it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
To answere some confusion on the cut outs in the mag well they are for stuck mags during an extended malfunction drill. Like a feedway stopage where you must first remove the magazine to clear it. Sometimes the mags are hard to get out. This ensures you can get a good grip to remove them.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Dave,

I still have your card from when I took the Handgun 1-3 weekend at TDI back in Oct. How backlogged are you right now? Was going to bring one of my XD's down and get some work done in the next few weeks. Was also going to talk to you about maybe a little work on the HK.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts