Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I own two of his books:

The Bias against Guns
More Guns Less Crime

He is so methodical with his research and findings, that I've shut down every person I've had an argument with about why guns deter crime and government tyranny. If pro-gun people were America in WWII, he'd be the atom bomb. No one can argue with him, period.

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Looks like I will have some summer reading :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thank you for sharing. WOW! On my way to Amazon or Borders to order my new book... Thanks again for pointing this out.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
XD-9Service said:
I appreciate Fox News for trying to report the news without bias.
:shock: :shock:

Joke, or serious post? Can't tell.

'Fair and balanced"....right? (They say so every few minutes, so it must be true).

In seriousness, it's interesting that the "liberal media" we hear about seems to consist of "liberal" newscasters employed by conservative owners.

It's just a job. More entertainment than news reporting in many cases. Especially on TV "news". The only serious part of television news seems to be the sports and weather segments.

I see some of the "pundits" and I wonder how much of what they say they believe, and how much of what they say is said just for ratings.

My guess it that the more extreme the politics of any given commentator, the less seriously they take themselves.

Ever see Ann Coulter on Bill Maher's show? She can't seem to keep a straight face after making her more outrageous comments. Even Micheal Moore seems to mock himself and laugh at his own role in today's media. These people seem to understand that broadcast "news" is entertainment, not true reporting of facts (which is far too dull and dry for the audiences).

IMO, no one does it better than Rush Limbaugh. I truly believe he is a left wing extremist taking big money for saying what his audience wants to hear. Finally got to him so he turned to drugs (bad for others, ok for him). He would have himself put in prison if there were two of him. At least that is the message he has been preaching about drug offenders until he became stricken with an "illness" and needed to be treated as a sick person with a disease rather than a common criminal.

The "family value" conservatives seem to me to be the biggest political jokes of our time.

Good thing we have FOX News to keep a fair and balanced score card for us.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think Fox News does better than most in trying to be fair and balanced.

Anyway, the post is about the article on Foxnews.com. Let's stay on topic, please.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Delija said:
XD-9Service said:

'Fair and balanced"....right? (They say so every few minutes, so it must be true).

In seriousness, it's interesting that the "liberal media" we hear about seems to consist of "liberal" newscasters employed by conservative owners.

It's just a job. More entertainment than news reporting in many cases. Especially on TV "news". The only serious part of television news seems to be the sports and weather segments.

I see some of the "pundits" and I wonder how much of what they say they believe, and how much of what they say is said just for ratings.

My guess it that the more extreme the politics of any given commentator, the less seriously they take themselves.

Ever see Ann Coulter on Bill Maher's show? She can't seem to keep a straight face after making her more outrageous comments. Even Micheal Moore seems to mock himself and laugh at his own role in today's media. These people seem to understand that broadcast "news" is entertainment, not true reporting of facts (which is far too dull and dry for the audiences).

IMO, no one does it better than Rush Limbaugh. I truly believe he is a left wing extremist taking big money for saying what his audience wants to hear. Finally got to him so he turned to drugs (bad for others, ok for him). He would have himself put in prison if there were two of him. At least that is the message he has been preaching about drug offenders until he became stricken with an "illness" and needed to be treated as a sick person with a disease rather than a common criminal.

The "family value" conservatives seem to me to be the biggest political jokes of our time.

Peace,
D.
I was actually quite surprised Fox let Lott write....check him out. Gun owners need this man. The more press he gets, the better off we are.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
You really have to filter out ALL news sources...even Fox News Channel.

I don't know if all news outlet are owned by conservatives. ABC's Michael Eisner can hardlybe called moderate or conservative, judging by his huge political contributions to the DNC. Ted Turner is far from conservative and his big mouth has certainly let us know his true feelings, politically. Yes, Rupert Murdoch (spelling?) is a conservative. I don't know about the owners of NBC or CBS though.

I always though it was funny to hear the groanings from those on the left about Fox News...how they were conservative and it wasn't fair. Well, they have CNN, CBS, ABC and NBC...so what if the right has ONE friggin' station? Surely, this does not mean the world is coming to an end or that the media has a right slant instead of a left slant all of a sudden. The fact that Fox News Channel has such a huge following may mean that the country is more conservative than it is liberal? I don't know. (theres only certain parts of FNC I can watch, though)

All news sources have their good and bad points. Sure, you have Dan Rahter, Peter Jennings and Tom Brokaw on one side, but are Sean Hannity or Brit Hume any less narrow-minded on the other side?

Yes, I too wonder if guys like Hannity and Colmes really believe the BS they spew out. I wonder tha same about Jim Carville and Mary Matalin...what a joke. It has to be an act. Some of these pundits, from Ann Coulter to Micheal Moore just get off on being "****-stirrers" and I really wonder if they believe all their bullshit. I somehow doubt it.

These pundits and news people are in the money business FIRST and I doubt many put their true beliefs before their chance to make a dollar. Rush Limbaugh and Al Frankenare really cut from the same cloth...as Kerry and Dubya are...don't kid yourselves.

You really have to look at both sides and have the ability to laugh at both sides, before you can begin to sift through the BS and make an honest assessment of the news.

I just wish they'd show the weather FIRST on our local broadcasts...I'd never see the rest of the crap, but I think they know it!

-Brickboy240

PS: the only news person I halfway enjoy anymore is John Stossel on ABC's 20/20. I still cannot believe Eisner let him on the air as long as he did. I also find Reason Magazine online to be a good news source for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Solutions! We need Solutions! All's I'm seeing here is whining about problems.

Buy and read John Lott's books. Comment on them. Share them with your friends. We can sit and piss around like a sewing group (nit-picking at the problems) or do something about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
A news station reports the truth about guns being used in self-defense and gun owners complain that the news organization is too conservative! :? :idea:

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Brickboy240 said:

Peter Jennings .....

.....(edit).....

I just wish they'd show the weather FIRST on our local broadcasts...I'd never see the rest of the crap, but I think they know it!
Peter Jennings??? Could be you are right, but something about the guy makes him unwatchable. I was stuck in my car a few days after 9.11 for a 2000 mile drive (no one was flying except the Bin Ladin family) and the only affiliate I could pick up was ABC. If I never hear the guy's voice again, it will be too soon.

Weather ...yeah. Sports too (they can skip hockey....Peter Jennings is probably the only national newscaster that would care anyway...LOL).

Oh, that's right. There is no hockey.

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think the Fox News Good/Bad argument is separate from the Article you cited. I almost think of Fox as a Comedy website. I mean.....O'Reilly? Rush? Come on, they're Comedians, right? That being said, I'll go check out the Article now. :D Some of my other news sources are NPR, the BBC and even Al Jazeera ("El Jizz") for its Comedic value.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
cvann said:
I own two of his books:

The Bias against Guns
More Guns Less Crime

He is so methodical with his research and findings, that I've shut down every person I've had an argument with about why guns deter crime and government tyranny. If pro-gun people were America in WWII, he'd be the atom bomb. No one can argue with him, period.
Can you recommend any other good books? I just finished reading Patriots by James Wesley Rawles and it was awesome reading.

·
Registered
33 Posts
willbond said:
I think the Fox News Good/Bad argument is separate from the Article you cited. I almost think of Fox as a Comedy website. I mean.....O'Reilly? Rush? Come on, they're Comedians, right? That being said, I'll go check out the Article now. :D Some of my other news sources are NPR, the BBC and even Al Jazeera ("El Jizz") for its Comedic value.
I'm not sure that Rush is on Fox News much, and if he were, he wouldn't be on there as a news anchor (as O'Reilly, Hannity, Colmes, are not either).

Do you laugh at Chris Matthews on MSNBC also?

·
Registered
556 Posts
SKeefe said:
A news station reports the truth about guns being used in self-defense and gun owners complain that the news organization is too conservative! :? :idea:
I don't think the problem lies in their degree of conservatism, but the flagrancy with which they tout that title. Honestly, it sometimes seems they go out of their way to put an ultra-conservative spin on things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as conservative as can be, but I'd like to find one news source that isn't so heavily biased in either direction. In other words, I'd like to hear the "meat" of the story without political bias or ratings-grabbing sensationalism attached.

Of course, I realize that such a station would never be financially viable. American want political bias and sensationalism. I guess that makes me a Lone Ranger on the subject. So be it!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Delija said:
XD-9Service said:

Peace,
D.

I had you pegged for a Liberal from your other posts, Now you've confirmed it. Do you really own any guns or are you just a "ringer" planted by the Brady Bunch? A sheep in wolf's clothing so to speak.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Grand Pooh-Bah said:
Can you recommend any other good books? I just finished reading Patriots by James Wesley Rawles and it was awesome reading.
As far as gun ownership goes:

"The Seven Myths of Gun Control"
- can't remember the author

A base, I like to use, for why government wants our guns is:

"The Creature from Jeckyl Island"
- can't remember the author either

this one is about the super rich people (Morgans, Rothchilds, etc.) that started central banking in the U.S., aka the Federal Reserve and how it enslaves those, who aren't elite, to debt and taxes through inflation. Gun ownership scares them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts