Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got to the range tonight. Among other things, I wanted to see how the new rubber grip decals felt in use. They felt good, I think I like them.

Unfortunately, my XD40 found some stuff it didn't like:

1) Remington UMC 180 gr JHP
2) Ultramax 180 gr FMJ

Now, I'm new to this shooting thing, and up to tonight, had put about 500 rounds (mainly WWB, but one or two 50 rd boxes of other stuff but don't remember what it was) with no problems. Well, OK, my first day there was one or two but I think it may have been me limp wristing. (Damn, I hate to say that! :lol: )

Well, I had a couple FTF on the UMC, and a couple where I squeezed the trigger, but nothing. There was a nice dimple on the primer, but nothing, so I don't know if the ammo had bad primers or what the deal was.

Anyhow, when I finished I was about to go home, deciding I'd come back later with some WWB 165 gr that I'd never had any problems with. Instead, I bought a box of Ultramax at the range. Holy ****! I bet 15 rounds wouldn't chamber! It was a freakin' nightmare. Had this been my first time out, I'd have sworn the gun was a POS.

But, since all my other experiences to date had been nothing but positive, I'm sure it's the ammo I was shooting tonight. I'll go back in a week or so with some WWB and make sure the gun is as good as I know it is, then it will be time to start my search for some Personal Defense ammo.

The only thing different tonight was 180 gr vs the 165 I'd shot in the past. Using Don's Guide Rod with a 22# spring. That combo has worked fine in the past. Don't know if tonight was the 180 gr or just the ammo.

Oh yeah, I was fairly pleased with my shooting, when I was shooting. Still have some practicing and will take lessons soon too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
FTF could occur if ammo is out of specs. Easy way to check is to disassemble your pistol and using just the barrel slip the suspect ammo into the chamber. It should slip in and seat properly just by gravity. Two things to watch for is the diameter at the case mouth and the over all length of the cartridge. If the diameter is off by 0.001" from max it will jam in the chamber and fail to seat fully. Believe maximum diameter for 40 caliber is 0.423" and OAL is 1.135". A good caliper or micrometer will also tell if you if it's good or bad ammo.
I reload my own 9mm ammo and I've noticed that some cases are thicker at the mouth. Bullets I cast and cases are sized to specs, but after loading I've found the cartridge to be out of specs at the mouth.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have had a similar experience with UMC .40 ammunition. I, like you, was told at first that it may have just been a bad box, but after two more boxes with several function problems each I decided to stay away from that junk. It was so frustrating to me because this was at a time when I had just paid way too much money for a new handgun and it kept on having failures with that ammo. I got a nice ribbing from all of the guys I was shooting with then. I strictly use Winchester White Box or WWB if you prefer when shooting at the range from good old Wal-Mart. I've probably shot almost 20,000 rounds of it through all of my handguns and haven't had a single ammunition produced failure. If you research it a little bit you may find too that many experts agree that .40 should never have been given 180 grns. The people that disagree with it say that it is a much too unstable round at that weight and increases chances of KB. I don't know if I agree with that or not but I'm not going to chance it. 165 grn .40 is fine with me!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I took 3 boxes of ammo to the range, including WWB and UMC 180 gr. I found that the 180 gr. UMC full metal core definitely fired the best. I fired the best groups with it, and for about 7 bucks a box i really love it!

I have my XD-40 tactical completely stock, but soon i will be experementing with the Setup and ammo mine likes best.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have not had my xd 40 long, but I've used American eagle 180 gr., umc 180 gr, and wwb 165gr with zero problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The rounds always bet stuck on the feed ramp everytime I rack the slide. The bullets have a very sharp rim which I think is the problem.

HTH,
Chris Cahill

·
Registered
48 Posts
used up 100 winchester target rounds fmj, and 100 fmj of some other bs i got from the gun show, which was i think continental, but im not sure.. no probs from either. the win. is from wally world @ $13 a box.. im happy with it, and trust winchester. i havent found any cheaper thats as good or better..i just hate the grip.

·
Registered
48 Posts
mine likes the wally world ammo, but has fired at least 500 rounds of various brands, but no remington, as its usually too pricey for targets where i shop. NO PROBS. i clean it after every 200, or every trip out. ill stick with it, until someone posts a cheaper price on ammo that will fire as reliably as the winchester.. my experience with remington has been great with my rifles, why would all their pistol rounds just be crap.. hmmm? somebody mic some of that bad ammo, and if its outta spec contact the manufacturer, and demand it be fixed.. i seriously doubt its the guns fault.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I let a friend of mine shoot my XD-40 at the range one day. I always shoot WWB, he bought a box of UMC 180 JHP's to bring along. Three FTF's out of 50 rounds of UMC. Those are the only three failures the gun has ever had. I will never buy that ammo myself. As mentioned above, the rounds get caught up on the feed ramp. It's not the gun, it's the ammo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I haven't shot any CCI yet, but I have four boxes of it sitting here smiling at me. I am going to the range this weekend....I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not a very comprehensive test, but I put 50 rounds of 9mm Blazer aluminum through my XD40 with an EFK conversion barrel this weekend. Not a single problem experienced.

·
Registered
513 Posts
From what I have heard UMC is VERY dirty stuff. Just went thru 100rnds of Blazer Brass 180grns w/o any problems. First time I have shot it with Don's guide rod and was impressed with its overall function. Again now have over 1000rnds w/o any trouble of any kind. I am pleased with this gun in all aspects.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts