Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found 2 boxes of Federal Premium .338 Win Mag in 250gr Nosler Partition's for $40/box and a box of .375H&H Federal 300gr SP's for $55. :D Finally found some "cheap" ammo for my big boys. ;)

·
Premium Member
127,986 Posts
Good for you!

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Ouch. Shooting those must break the bank.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Every time i shoot my 7.7jap ... Err ahem, Arisaka to be PC, i pretend the report from the round going off is my gun saying "boom-cheeseburger, boom-chicken fingers, boom-watermelon" cause i could buy one of those with the same money spent on each round.

Thus i only shoot that thing once a year or so, do a 3-5 shot group and pick it up lol.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ouch. Shooting those must break the bank.
Sadly, they're both cheaper to shoot than my .257 Wby, .300 Wby, .270 WSM and for the most part either of my 7mm Rem Mags. Seems that nothing is "cheap" to shoot like it used to be, just a few short years ago. I've got a reloader but just don't spend much time with it unfortunately.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Every time i shoot my 7.7jap ... Err ahem, Arisaka to be PC, i pretend the report from the round going off is my gun saying "boom-cheeseburger, boom-chicken fingers, boom-watermelon" cause i could buy one of those with the same money spent on each round.

Thus i only shoot that thing once a year or so, do a 3-5 shot group and pick it up lol.
Damn. Didn't realize 7.7 *** was so expensive.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Sadly, they're both cheaper to shoot than my .257 Wby, .300 Wby, .270 WSM and for the most part either of my 7mm Rem Mags. Seems that nothing is "cheap" to shoot like it used to be, just a few short years ago. I've got a reloader but just don't spend much time with it unfortunately.
.257 wetherby and .270 WSM are over $50 per box? Glad I have a regular .270!

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Ouch Joe, you weren't kidding.

They were charging $41 for a box of plain old .270 partitions. I know the partition is an excellent bullet, but I ain't paying $2 per round. Just not happening. Plain old 130 gr soft points work good for anything cxp2, and the heavier for caliber core lokts are suitable for most cxp3.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes, the magnum rifle ammo has gotten insanely expensive. I was shocked the last time I bought 300WM ammo (even though I don't hunt with this inherited rifle...I want a stash around just in case).

Other rounds that have gotten very hard to find and crazy expensive are 45-70, 45 Colt and 44 magnum.

Hell...even premium 30-06 and 270 is not cheap these days!

I totally understand about the old military calibers. The 6.5x55 ammo for my Swedish Mausers is not easy to find and not cheap unless I bulk buy the Serbian stuff. Ditto for 303 British.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And the sad part is I have a reloader with quite a bit of supplies, just haven't used it much at all. But I don't shoot rifles (bolt action hunting rifles anyway) nowhere NEAR as mu as I used to. :( Hell, even reloading isn't "cheap" to do these days.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Found 2 boxes of Federal Premium .338 Win Mag in 250gr Nosler Partition's for $40/box and a box of .375H&H Federal 300gr SP's for $55. :D Finally found some "cheap" ammo for my big boys. ;)
Wait, what the hell do you have in .375 H&H? Please tell me it's a double.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wait, what the hell do you have in .375 H&H? Please tell me it's a double.
Nope. Just a Remington 700 stainless/synthetic. :)

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
I was hoping at least a custom large ring Mauser!

You're slipping on the stable of awesome stuff!

To be fair though, for what a nice double goes for you can buy rental property. :-D

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was hoping at least a custom large ring Mauser!

You're slipping on the stable of awesome stuff!

To be fair though, for what a nice double goes for you can buy rental property. :-D
True dat!:lol: I bought this one for the rough stuff. I'm hard on my hunting rifles. No wood stocks or fancy blueing for my hunters. ;)

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
It still doesn't stop me from getting on gunbroker and looking for Holland and Holland rifles though...soooo pretty

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes indeed. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts