Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I stumbled across someone that wants to sell a 1976 made "180 Series" Ruger Mini-14 in almost new condition. He has six 20rd Ruger factory mags to sell with it.

The rifle says "Made in the 200th year of American Freedom" on the side of the receiver and wears a really nicely grained walnut stock. Bluing is about 98% and the bore is pristine. It has a wooden upper foreend stock...not the black plastic part you normally see on Mini-14s.

The guy will take 475 bucks for it...no less...and yes..I tried.

So...this sure seems MUCH better made than the newer Mini-14s I have seen and beat the pants off Dad's Ranch Rifle..are the earlier Mini-14s better guns than the later ones?

Are these "bicentennial" marked Mini-14s rare or colectable?

At this price, I am tempted. It would make a nice casual ranch plinker or ATV gun and since I would not scope it anyways, the fact that it only has provisions for iron sights does not bother me at all. I know they're not target rifles, but I am betting it will hit "minute of varmint" at 100yds or less and thats all I'd want it for anyways.

(I have a tricked out 22-250 boltgun for longrange accurate smallbore shooting...so this does not have to fit that role)

So...anyone out there know about these early Mini-14s? This one sure looks nice. With Obama coming...another hi-cap rifle like this might not be a bad buy, eh?

Thanks in advance for the advice/opinions.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
According to current blue book prices:

MINI-14
- .223 Rem. or .222 Rem. (disc.) cal., 5 (standard mag. starting in 1989), 10 (disc.), or 20* shot detachable mag., 18 1/2 in. barrel, gas operated, blue finish, apeture rear sight, military style stock, approx. 6 3/4 lbs. Mfg. 1974-2004.
Grading
100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$535 $445 $365 $320 $275 $240 $215
Last MSR was $655.
Add 20% for .222 Rem. cal.
Add $300 for folding stock (disc. 1989).
Add 25% for Southport Model with gold bead front sight.
Due to 1989 Federal legislation and public sentiment, the Mini-14 was shipped with a 5 shot detachable mag. only. This model was also available as a Mini-14 GB (primarily used for law enforcement), and was equipped with a flash hider and bayonet lug (blue or stainless, current value is approx. $1,000 if in 95%+ original condition).
Seems there is no provision for a bicentennial model. (corrected... See post below)

I'd say he's priced right about market value considering the extra mags.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is stamped on the left side of the receiver and I remember many Ruger offerings having a similar stamp in 1976. I had a Blackhawk with that stamp on the barrel. These versions were (obviously) only made one year: 1976. 1974 was the first year they made the Mini-14 so this is an early version.

I checked online and with Sturm Ruger - the factory Ruger 20 round mags run about 43 dollars apiece, new. Several of his were LE Only marked as well.

It might be worth the price....sure seemed better built and finished than any stock Mini-14 I have ever held.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
I'd buy a Saiga and spend the $150 difference on ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Sounds like a super deal and you are getting over $200+ worth of genuine Ruger mags with it. A classic rifle with special markings and extra mags? A sound investment for the future. Just don't rapid fire it, because it starts to loose accuracy. :(

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Dude, steer clear of a 180- series Mini 14.

Some bolt, trigger and receiver parts were proprietary to that particular series. Ruger does not provice parts/support for the 180- series any longer. I would suggest a 580- series Ranch. Much improved model.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the Saiga is still high on my list.

Did not know about the "warts" on the 180 Series Minis...thanks for the info! Good to know.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
No "warts" just imposible to find replacement parts, if you need them. I would say that would have been a good deal on a newer series model.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update!

The guy dropped the asking price to 400 bucks and threw in two extra Tapco 30 rounders that he has laying around.

Thats an early Mini-14 in imacculate condition with a nice walnut stock, six Ruger factory LE-marked 20rd mags and two Tapco 30rd mags. Tapco mags sell for 20 bucks apiece and these 20rd Ruger factory mags run about 45-50 dollars each (why...I do not know).

Yeah...I think I'll snap this one up.

True, it might be hard to find parts for, but I already tracked down many 180-Series parts that might break, like a firing pin. This thing has not been fired much at all and I am not going to run gobs of 223 through it at a time, so I don't plan on parts breakages. If it is decently "minute of coyote" or "minute of milk jug" at 50-75yds or so...thats cool with me!

For 400 bucks...knowing that we might not be able to buy hi-cap rifles/mags like this soon...I think its a good gamble.

- brickboy240

PS: Now...where the hell can I find the cheapest 223 in bulk to rathole away for a rainy day?

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Dude, steer clear of a 180- series Mini 14.

Some bolt, trigger and receiver parts were proprietary to that particular series. Ruger does not provice parts/support for the 180- series any longer. I would suggest a 580- series Ranch. Much improved model.
This is an interesting notion. Perhaps a call to Ruger will solve this dilemna. Call and tell them that you're looking for replacement parts for a 180 series Ruger Mini-14.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Update!

The guy dropped the asking price to 400 bucks and threw in two extra Tapco 30 rounders that he has laying around.

Thats an early Mini-14 in imacculate condition with a nice walnut stock, six Ruger factory LE-marked 20rd mags and two Tapco 30rd mags. Tapco mags sell for 20 bucks apiece and these 20rd Ruger factory mags run about 45-50 dollars each (why...I do not know).

Yeah...I think I'll snap this one up.

True, it might be hard to find parts for, but I already tracked down many 180-Series parts that might break, like a firing pin. This thing has not been fired much at all and I am not going to run gobs of 223 through it at a time, so I don't plan on parts breakages. If it is decently "minute of coyote" or "minute of milk jug" at 50-75yds or so...thats cool with me!

For 400 bucks...knowing that we might not be able to buy hi-cap rifles/mags like this soon...I think its a good gamble.

- brickboy240

PS: Now...where the hell can I find the cheapest 223 in bulk to rathole away for a rainy day?
Ruger*|*MINI-14 SERIES 180*|*e-GunParts.com

I just saw a deal on .223. brb.

Ammunition To Go : 1000rds - .223 DRS 55gr. FMJ Ammo - $319.95
AIM US .223 55grn FMJ US .223 55grn FMJ
AR15.COM :: Forums :: Federal Brown Box XM193 5.56 - $370/1000rds - $10 flat rate shipping per 1000rds <--Not a bad deal
AR15.COM :: Forums :: PMC .223 Bronze - $335/1000rds- $10 flat rate shipping per 1,000rds
AR15.COM :: Forums :: !!!Special Pricing!!! PRVI Partizan M193 - $345/1000rds - $10 flat rate shipping per 1,000rds

More deals here: AR15.COM :: Forums :: Ammunition

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I drive past Brenham, TX alot, so yes..I knew Ammo To Go would be a good source. I bought 500rds of 30 Carbine from them last week and it was good stuff. Now I'll have to grab 1000rds of their 223 and stash it away in the mext month or so.

Academy also has decent prices on 223 sometimes.

- Brickboy240

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
This is an interesting notion. Perhaps a call to Ruger will solve this dilemna. Call and tell them that you're looking for replacement parts for a 180 series Ruger Mini-14.
Here's the deal,
RUGER no longer supports this model series.
Parts are available, but very scarce.
Good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts