Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a gun store....a little "mom & pop" shop with a great selection of old surplus guns and ammo....pick up a couple boxes of old chinese norinco 7.62x39 rounds for 5 bucks a box. The shop is also a class III FFL, if I had 60K to spend there were roughly four full autos I would like to buy but that's never going to happen. His prices were good on some things but crazy on others....the guy wanted 40 dollars for a single bulgarian, hungarian, or yugo 30 round AK mag and he had boxes...and boxes on these mags laying around. I mean come on....40 bucks for a single mag when prior to the election I was picking them up at shows for between 8-12 each. I asked if he was selling many at that price and he had a puzzled look on his face and said "not really...and I several hundred more in the back" I asked well...why don't you sell them for what they should be selling for...less then 15 each and he says to me "well....40 dollars is the going price right now with demand" I laughed and said what demand....you just said no one is buying them at 40 each....and he began to look anoyed, I paid for my ammo and walked out shaking my head.

Tell me that's not price gouging....

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'd like to know where he has seen the "market price" of $40/mag for hungarian and yugo surplus AK47 mags (or even the bulgy mags for that matter)?!?! Yeah, they have jumped up in price with everything else since the election, but sure as heck not to $40/mag!!! I'd be willing to get he'll have them a good while at that price.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Found a gun store....a little "mom & pop" shop with a great selection of old surplus guns and ammo....pick up a couple boxes of old chinese norinco 7.62x39 rounds for 5 bucks a box. The shop is also a class III FFL, if I had 60K to spend there were roughly four full autos I would like to buy but that's never going to happen. His prices were good on some things but crazy on others....the guy wanted 40 dollars for a single bulgarian, hungarian, or yugo 30 round AK mag and he had boxes...and boxes on these mags laying around. I mean come on....40 bucks for a single mag when prior to the election I was picking them up at shows for between 8-12 each. I asked if he was selling many at that price and he had a puzzled look on his face and said "not really...and I several hundred more in the back" I asked well...why don't you sell them for what they should be selling for...less then 15 each and he says to me "well....40 dollars is the going price right now with demand" I laughed and said what demand....you just said no one is buying them at 40 each....and he began to look anoyed, I paid for my ammo and walked out shaking my head.

Tell me that's not price gouging....
Please, not another price gouging thread. If he's not moving them at that price, then it's his problem if he's too stubborn to lower the price enough to sell them.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
The annoying thing is when they suddenly drop the price and all of 'em get snapped-up before you notice. I hate that!

Scoop up 20 mags, put them in a bag, hand him three crisp $100 bills when nobody is there to witness, walk out with your mags.

If he needs money, they are yours.
If he doesn't, they aren't.

·
Registered
429 Posts
And what are you, the pricing police? You were rude and had I owned the shop I would have told you to never come back. What you did was bullsh*t.:mad:

If you dont like the price, move on!!!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
And what are you, the pricing police? You were rude and had I owned the shop I would have told you to never come back. What you did was bullsh*t.:mad:

Come on though seriousaly! $40 for a thirty round AK mag. I may have not approached the matter in the same way. On the other hand that is freakin crazy, Unless someone is unaware, or has money to throw around they are dumb for paying that much, period!

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I see this all the time nowdays...panic pricing and dealers saying "well...thats the free market and the going rate." And still hanging on to their big prices...claiming no responsiblilty. All the while...I am very sure these guys were crying "gouging" this summer when gas hit 4 bucks a gallon....don't you know!

Instead of arguing with these guys or (worse) paying their high prices, I have decided that it is best to vote with your wallet. Yes...don't buy from the high priced dealers. Just don't do it. Take the time to look around for someone that is NOT playing on the Obama fears and trying to sell things at inflated prices.

I am also making mental notes as to which dealers DID increase only because they were emboldend by the fears and because others did it and they thought they could get away with it. In the future...I will not be buying a damn thing from those that pumped up their prices for no apparent reason.

You should do the same. Vote with your wallet! Don't waste the breath arguing with some of these guys...you hurt them more by not buying their sky high stuff...think about it!

The only reason the prices are high, is because some of you actually PAYED the higher prices...so they all feel emboldend to jack everything up. If everyone voted with their wallets....I don't care who is going in office in January...prices would come back down.

Don't feed the madness...and don't argue with them. they know damn well what they're doing and calling them out on it does little or no good. Walking out and not buying does more damage. Its even worse, when people post AFTER they paid some outrageous markup...hello!...you're the reason why the prices are so high!

I am NOT buying a 1400 dollar basic AR, a 800 dollar AK, 30 dollar AK mags or any other overpriced gun stuff....period. You shouldn't either.

The beauty of the free market is that YOU have the ultimate power...but many act as if they do not. Give me a break!

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

Ha, I would have moved on, never come back, and told everyone I knew, everyone I met, and everyone online not to go to your shop.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yep...just saying "thats too high...I am not buying a thing" and walking out says alot more to these people.

If they saw more of this....the prices would come down.

Your local grocery store would LOVE to sell you a gallon of milk for 20 bucks. But since most would not buy it and other vendors will gladly undersell this store....the price stays much lower.

The free market is a beautiful thing....just remember how it works.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Yeah....I know what I did was bullsh*t.....I purchased about 100 bucks of ammo to shoot that day.....pure bullsh*t on my part....I should have put the ammo back on the counter and walked out.....

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I agree that you were the annoying jerk of a customer.

However, there is a popular website/store that is selling regular $15 Magpul PMags at $40 now! They should change their name to "Expensive As Gold!"

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Just remember where you see the price increases and take your money elsewhere. When prices come back to normal, recall those who were upping their prices and don't give them business.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree that you were the annoying jerk of a customer.

However, there is a popular website/store that is selling regular $15 Magpul PMags at $40 now! They should change their name to "Expensive As Gold!"
Who are you referring to? Cheaper than Dirt is selling them for $25, as does Brigade Armory. That seems to be the market price right now... shops listing them for around the MSRP can't keep them in stock.

BTW, nice avatar ;)

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who are you referring to? Cheaper than Dirt is selling them for $25, as does Brigade Armory. That seems to be the market price right now... shops listing them for around the MSRP can't keep them in stock.

BTW, nice avatar ;)
He's refering to me for having a conversation with a shop owner over his pricing and lack of demand for his mil surplus AK mags. I must of been a real jerk for spending 100 bucks in ammo and suggesting he lower the price and maybe he'd start selling them again.

Supply and demand works both ways.....demand goes up price goes up....demand goes down....price goes down. The shop owner said no one is buying at 40 dollars a piece...logic will tell you to lower price.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
There is no logic in greed my friend.

·
Registered
133 Posts
He's refering to me for having a conversation with a shop owner over his pricing and lack of demand for his mil surplus AK mags. I must of been a real jerk for spending 100 bucks in ammo and suggesting he lower the price and maybe he'd start selling them again.

Supply and demand works both ways.....demand goes up price goes up....demand goes down....price goes down. The shop owner said no one is buying at 40 dollars a piece...logic will tell you to lower price.
Nah, I meant who he was referring to by "more expensive than gold". I agree the dude should have been open to negotiation unless he thinks he's sitting on the last cache of AK mags in North America.:mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Kind of the same thing at a local shop I stopped in at. I waked in walls bare, tons of ak mags for $33 a pop. $20 a pop I might have picked a few up. I asked about some win 231 powder, the owner said it would be in about two weeks for $30 a pound. Owner asked me if I needed help with anything else I kindly said no and walked out. Seems I have less and less shops that are actually worth stopping in at. If something is not selling you think they would lower the price.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a business that is semi local to me. I started a thread after visiting them a couple of months ago. They had WASR-10's with a $749 tag on them (I could see where it was somewhere in the $600 range and they scribbled it out).

Then I saw them at a gun show last weekend with a stock of Saigas for $799 a pop. (two days later I contacted a gentleman that had 6 Saigas on the way to his store, for $275 cheaper)

When I saw the $749 WASR in their store, I politely asked where the lower priced ones were.... They looked at me like I had three heads.

The only way I would shop there again would be a going out of business sale, and in the meantime I'll steer everyone clear of them that I talk to :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where is this shop in Ohio?

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hillard....Guns World

1 - 20 of 25 Posts