Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is the story with pics.

i was warming up for my local IDPA match just like normal. i emptied a mag and came up for a reload and saw this:

the first thing that went through my mind was a lackadaisical "that cant be good". so i release the mag and try to rack the slide, but it wont go back enought ot eject the LIVE ROUND in the chamber. i greesed up my elbows and tryed it a few more times and finally succeeded in ejecting the live round.

on to the next problem. it was impossible to pull the slide to slide lock. there were about 20 of us out there and no one could get it to go to slidelock. here is what it looked like... you can see the large part of the compound guidrod sticking out:

o well. i shot the match with a borrowed gun.

4 days later i had an IPSC match. i got there early and helped set up the match and showed my friend my gun. he had a genius idea... uncoil the large spring out the front of the gun. Pic:

after breaking a few things we finaly got the large spring out and it freed the action up enough to get it to slide lock and take it appart. here is what came out, pic:

the only thing i could figure was that the threads on the small shaft sheared, as if someone overtightened them. after that it all just came appart. pic:

Lessons learned - Compound guidrods suck.
Easy Fix - get a DGR and be done with it. :wink:

any questions? :D

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bundyboyz said:
about how many rounds had you fired before this failure...

11,000 - 12,000 rounds through it.

you know what they say... "if it aint broke, your not using it enough".

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I would say that it was due for a malfunct
of some nature. I agree, the design of the
recoil assembly is a very weak point in our
machine.

Now I question, where the hell are you going
to get an original replacement? How about one
of Don's guide rod?

Ed

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed Ely said:
Now I question, where the hell are you going
to get an original replacement? How about one
of Don's guide rod?

Ed

i answered that at the end of my first post. :wink:

but i could be more clear. i got rid of the original guide rod(obviously :) ) and replaced it with a Don's Guide Rod and a 14lb spring.

the fact that Don's Guide Rod is very simple, i'm a beliver in KISS, and there is nothing to break makes Don's Guide Rod far superior to any other rod for the XD platform.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
hahahahaha

I laugh at those pictures....

because when I first bought mine, that happened to me :) I was at the range with a deputy friend of mine, and he started yeeling at me cause teh skinny part of the guide rod was sticking out of my gun like yours. I had to fire it in the damaged condition to make it "safe" but everyone that looked at it was freaked out cause they could see a shell in the chamber and automatically (and rightly) assumed it was loaded.

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/problems.html
(James needs to finish updating this!!)

I am goign to assume that yours is a .40? I am under the belief that this happens because there is no cup under the .40 barrel for the Recoil Spring Assembly to be retained in, and it can move back and forth slightly, wearing through the weld where the assembly is threaded together.

here are some of my other pics of my incident:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think that the wise thing to do is to inspect the guide rod every time the pistol is cleaned, and to replace it every 1k or 2k rounds. It's cheap. Going 12k rounds is asking for problems, IMO.

I put in a non-Don's solid guide rod and had some feeding problems. The folks at Springfield know what they are doing with the spring ratios and the gun runs great with the stock rod. If you've had good experiences with Don's rod, great. But my Wolff rod and springs were a big disappointment and I'll be sticking with factory recoil asssemblies.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we both had the EXACT same thing happen.... wow.

how many rounds did you have through yours when it happend?

now that i can compare the end of my small guide rod to the end of your small guide rod (if we werent talking guns, that would sound a little funny), i think what happend is it came unscrewed, and didnt break as i assumed before. if thats the case, this could happen to quite a few XDs. can you screw yours back into the cap?

Fly-Sig said:
I think that the wise thing to do is to inspect the guide rod every time the pistol is cleaned, and to replace it every 1k or 2k rounds. It's cheap.

there is no reason to replace a full guide rod assembly every 1k-2k rounds. if that were the case i would be replacing it once or twice a month.

the assembly should last at least a few 10k rounds. the springs should be replaced every 5k rounds.

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
Rooster would you mind if i used your pictures ans story on my website I will give you full credit of course

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont mind at all.... do you want my broken parts too? :D

i can give you copies of pics and take more pics too if you need.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
yay! james is going to finish that section up finally!! : ) Just needeling you man.

I also have the original unmolested pictures (the ones I sent you had text on them I believe) if you want them.

Rooster, Mine mishap happened I think at either 189 rounds, or 289 rounds. The weld on the threaded part was weak/thin and wore down letting it become unscrewed.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If I had to replace my guide rod every 2K rounds as you suggest, I would've just bought something else. No service type of firearm should require that kind of maintenence, you sir are crazy! Lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
03RangerXLT said:
Rooster, Mine mishap happened I think at either 189 rounds, or 289 rounds. The weld on the threaded part was weak/thin and wore down letting it become unscrewed.

now that i look closely at mine, the weld is worn almost all the way through. :shock:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
therooster said:
Bundyboyz said:
about how many rounds had you fired before this failure...

11,000 - 12,000 rounds through it.

you know what they say... "if it aint broke, your not using it enough".
SA is pretty adamant about changing out the stock captive spring assembly every 2000 rounds. IMO you were just asking for trouble with 11+K rounds through it. The fix is obvious though, get one of Don's rods and use Wolff springs.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Like i said, I am assuming yours is a .40? The barrel is shaped differently on the .40 than teh 9mm and .357 is. On teh bottom the the other barrels, there is a recessed area that the Recols Spring Assembly fits down into. This isn't present on the .40 barrel for some reason. I think this is why this happens.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
duh, just looked at your pics again, you do indeed have a .40cal there.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
ampleworks said:
If I had to replace my guide rod every 2K rounds as you suggest, I would've just bought something else. No service type of firearm should require that kind of maintenence, you sir are crazy! Lol
And you sir are lazy. Considering the stresses involved I think that replacing the rod that often is quite reasonable. I know that most 1911's are supposed to have a 2K round maximum life for their springs, 800 rounds for the compact 4" 1911 models. Now, this spring life is listed as they expect these to be your defensive guns and your life may depend on them, but why not put that same reliability requirement on your competition/fun gun too. If you do not keep up with the manufacturer's maintenance instructions it is your fault if your firearms fails. Do you skimp on oil changes for your car too?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
manygunner said:
IMO you were just asking for trouble with 11+K rounds through it.

lol... this is the second or third time someone has said this.

what trouble am i asking for? :wink:

:roll: its not like i was surprised that it happend... anyone who knows anything about guns knows that something will not work properly after 12k rounds.

as you can tell by my pictures, i actually use my gun. its a tool designed to save my life (or someone elses). i have to know what its capable of. the only way to do that is to run it and run it hard.

manygunner said:
SA is pretty adamant about changing out the stock captive spring assembly every 2000 rounds.
why? when it will run till at least 11,000 rounds? :)

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
manygunner said:
And you sir are lazy. Considering the stresses involved I think that replacing the rod that often is quite reasonable. I know that most 1911's are supposed to have a 2K round maximum life for their springs, 800 rounds for the compact 4" 1911 models. Now, this spring life is listed as they expect these to be your defensive guns and your life may depend on them, but why not put that same reliability requirement on your competition/fun gun too. If you do not keep up with the manufacturer's maintenance instructions it is your fault if your firearms fails. Do you skimp on oil changes for your car too?
Sorry to say there pal, there's more than plenty of XDs around that have round counts much higher than 2000 and have not had their stock rod blow up. Given the design of this guide rod is a piece of **** does not excuse it from the fact that it fails like this.

I wonder if SA wants you to send in the pistol to get a guide rod replaced too?

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
therooster said:
manygunner said:
SA is pretty adamant about changing out the stock captive spring assembly every 2000 rounds.
why? when it will run till at least 11,000 rounds? :)
I guess it is because they do not want the liability suit when you get your ass shot off due to their gun failing because of your failure to provide decent and timely maintenance. If it is your working gun and you rely on it to save lives then you should know better then to wear parts out until they fail, you should replace them in time before you experience a failure at a critical time. DUH!!! I am sure that SA and HS have done studies and determined that their rods have a 90%+ reliability life span of 2K rounds after which the reliability rate drops. Yes, the assembly may last longer but that is betting your life if it does not. I prefer to have my gear in top shape when trouble comes.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts