Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reloading 45 acp on a dillon square deal b. Using Hodgdon Universal powder 4.7 grains with a 230 grain round nose cast lead bullet from Acme bullets and Winchester large primers.

I have noticed that i can fire around 50 rounds and then the weapon will not go into battery. I suspect that the bullet lubricant or powder residue is building up and not allowing the cartridge to seat completely and thus no battery. The ramp gets pretty dirty as does the chamber.

I clean the mod 2 very well when i get home and it's good to go, any ideas on what i can do? cleaner powder, plated bullets? I went with cast for low dollars.

thanks
Steve

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Somewhere around here is a thread dealing with the SA .45 having issues feeding cast bullets. Apparently it's a known issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is your OAL? Also are you getting any shaving of lead on the crimp? Too much or too little crimp could be a problem. Could also be the diameter at case mouth as cast is usually 0.001" over jacketed diameter. After it gets dirty, when you disassemble to clean, put an unfired round in barrel and see where its hanging up, carefully remove & examine, mic case mouth, should get a bit of fouling where the problem is. I've shot cast and not had issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is your OAL? Also are you getting any shaving of lead on the crimp? Too much or too little crimp could be a problem. Could also be the diameter at case mouth as cast is usually 0.001" over jacketed diameter. After it gets dirty, when you disassemble to clean, put an unfired round in barrel and see where its hanging up, carefully remove & examine, mic case mouth, should get a bit of fouling where the problem is. I've shot cast and not had issues.
Thank you for the ideas, I already cleaned the weapon today but will definitely try your ideas after my next range session.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Please check that OAL with a cartridge gage. I had similar problem with my 45 and it was all .005 of OAL. Seated the bullets slightly deeper and no problems. Just be careful with the adjustments on live ammo. Can be done safely with exreme care. Good luck!

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
I am reloading 45 acp on a dillon square deal b. Using Hodgdon Universal powder 4.7 grains with a 230 grain round nose cast lead bullet from Acme bullets and Winchester large primers.

I have noticed that i can fire around 50 rounds and then the weapon will not go into battery. I suspect that the bullet lubricant or powder residue is building up and not allowing the cartridge to seat completely and thus no battery. The ramp gets pretty dirty as does the chamber.

I clean the mod 2 very well when i get home and it's good to go, any ideas on what i can do? cleaner powder, plated bullets? I went with cast for low dollars.

thanks
Steve[/QUOTE

I've been reloading for a few years, but I've never (and will never) reload lead bullets. Of course, to each his own, but I consider the problems associated with them, outweighs the money savings over plated, or FMJ bullets, (besides none of the ranges around allow you to shoot lead bullets)
Universal is a good powder, a little dirty just like Bullseye.
I've never had good luck, or accuracy, reloading 45acp with Universal, but Bullseye and Titegroup always worked great, also CCI primers never let me down.
The problem you describe, is caused by the lubricant on the bullets and the powder soot, my buddy switched from Bullseye to Titegroup, and it was "partially" solved, he also switched to some special coated lead bullets that worked a lot better on his M&P.

Again, I'm NOT a 50 yard Competition Shooter, I just punch paper, Steel, and Bowling Pins, the only competition between my friends and I, is for the wings and the beer at the end of the day.
At the range, we all use plated, or FMJ bullets, outdoors some of them use lead.

BTW, my Mod2-SC 45acp, ate Plated Bullets, FMJ, HP, and even Plated SWC, without a single failure, even thou, the SWC are hard to digest for 45acp XD pistols,
20160124_004616.jpeg
according to SA

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a ton for your insights! I actually saw your post on another site specifically where you talk about x-treme bullets.
I emailed them asking for a few samples, hopefully they will be a lot cleaner. Thanks again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a ton for your insights! I actually saw your post on another site specifically where you talk about x-treme bullets.
I emailed them asking for a few samples, hopefully they will be a lot cleaner. Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,374 Posts
I emailed them asking for a few samples, hopefully they will be a lot cleaner. Thanks again![/QUOTE

It's my pleasure to be of help.

X-treme Plated Bullets, or PLATED Bullets Freight Included are the best I've found, far better than Sierra and Berry's.

X-treme has free shipping for the whole month of February.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts