Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure if this should go in the SHTF section or here. but here goes.
im active duty Army and for the last 18 years ive had a beef with the M16/M4/AR platform. year after year i would go to the range, usually in the winter. weather would normally be 33 degree's, windy, wet, prone position with rocks in my elbows. and shurer (is that a word?) then $h!t someone would get a jam, double feed, FTE, something. so there i would wait for the armor to get all his gear on and go clear the rifle. fast forward to 2012, my dislike of the platform pushed me to buy a Mini 14. i have never had a problem with it, but ive only put about 300 rounds down the tube.
NOW, given the situation of the possibility ISIS being in the country and our society as a whole. i want something that is more common, something that has replacement parts available, something that has magazines at a decent price, something that can be interchanged with other like weapons.......G-dam AR !!!
my hesitation is the previously mentioned. i dont want to buy an AR (or two) and have it malfunction on a regular basis. do i have a reson to be hesitant or worried? i seen a S&W M&P sport at my LGS for $630 out the door. is that good, bad, or ugly?
i guess what im looking for is reassurance that a well maintained AR will NOT give me problems when/if i ever need it. i dont abuse my guns and keep them maintained.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
From what I've seen over the past 5 years of ranges is that the people who have problems either #1 don't know what they are doing or have forgotten (i.e. old female captains, cooks) #2 treat the rifle gently. I've seen more jams and double feeds from soft seating a magazine (1SG in particular, don't tell him I told you though haha). Lastly #3 People with very dirty rifles. CLP will only get you so far when it's near freezing and the rifle was dirty to begin with.

Serious question: Why would an armorer be required to clear a jam on a rifle? That's basic soldier knowledge.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Serious question: Why would an armorer be required to clear a jam on a rifle? That's basic soldier knowledge.
usually double feeds with a live round and cant get either round out. safety SOP says armor must walk the weapon off the range if a live round is stuck.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Re-read your post so, Just deleted a whole bunch of other stuff.......First... THANK YOU for your service.... appreciate what you have done for us!

For your question, Prices on AR's have come way down since the madness 18 or so months ago. S&W makes a decent rifle.... and while S&W, Stag, Windham, Core15, etc,etc may not be considered that "top of the line" rifle like BCM, Colt, LMT, etc..... it ends up being a trade off of what you want vs what you can afford .

IMO, unless you are charging up the mountains in A-stan, and as long as you maintain your firearm, any of those "tier two" (Stag, S&W ....) should be find for home defense / self defense.

(That being said, I have a Core15 and after the initial break in where I had some problems with steel cased "Herter's" ammo... it has been flawless with everything fed to it).

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
father in law came to vist us when we lived in el paso. he had a bushmaster, couldnt get more than 3 rounds without it malfunctioning. granted, he didnt use a single drop of lube and had no idea how to break it down, Lol.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re-read your post so, Just deleted a whole bunch of other stuff.......First... THANK YOU for your service.... appreciate what you have done for us!

IMO, unless you are charging up the mountains in A-stan, and as long as you maintain your firearm, any of those "tier two" (Stag, S&W ....) should be find for home defense / self defense.
thank you.

yes it would be for home/self defense, with an occasional patrol around the neighborhood with a buddy during an economic collapse. (LOL)

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you care for your rifle and have decent parts, it'll last as long as any other platform. The army range rifles have 10's of thousands of rounds through them with different people abusing/neglecting them.

Just keep it somewhat clean. Lube it. And have fun with it.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Get one and don't worry about it. Seeing as you aren't new to AR's you might want to skip the Sport and get a little nicer one, or build one if you know what you want.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Get one and don't worry about it. Seeing as you aren't new to AR's you might want to skip the Sport and get a little nicer one, or build one if you know what you want.
+1 on this !!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Get yourself a good AR and you will never regret it. Double feeds are usually caused by magazines (especially the mags the military use), or not enough extraction. I build AR's and add a o-ring around the extractor spring and never have problems...even on my $450.00 builds!!

Suggested "tier 2" makes:
Stag
S & W
Windham
Del-Ton
Palmetto States Armory

Reliability Mods:
Lubricate BCG
O-ring Extractor
Use Pmags

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
thank you.

yes it would be for home/self defense, with an occasional patrol around the neighborhood with a buddy during an economic collapse. (LOL)
it's actually pretty hard to find a ***t rifle now a days. If i were you, I'd build a suppressed SBR for your stated needs. you're not going to be taking any 600M shots so a 10.5 inch to 12 inch barrel should be plenty lightweight and compact for both patrol and home defense.

$400 in taxes though, but you will thank me when you pop that first round off inside the house and everyone still has their hearing.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I was in the Army for 8 years and ran into the same problem you mentioned in your post. Here is what I have learned since seperating from the Army. The AR's you buy in the store should not have the same problems you see with the M4 and here is why.......We used the GI mags that they issued and re-issued. Most of us started using PMAGS and that fixed most of the feeding problems we had. The other issue is, like mentioned above, those rifle are issued out to people twice a year and dont get taken care of. If your anything like I am you will care more for a personal rifle because its yours. I have not run into many issues with my personal rifle because I keep them clean and lubed. You will be fine with an AR and welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
804 Posts
fast forward to 2012, my dislike of the platform pushed me to buy a Mini 14. i have never had a problem with it, but ive only put about 300 rounds down the tube.
NOW, given the situation of the possibility ISIS being in the country and our society as a whole. i want something that is more common, something that has replacement parts available, something that has magazines at a decent price, something that can be interchanged with other like weapons.......G-dam AR !!!
I enjoy my S&W Sport for the limited use I currently need. For the money, it is a reliable rifle. Nearly all reviews are positive. There are also ARs available for a bit more that are probably better. My LGS has Colt 6720s for $899 (their price on the Sport is $599 btw). Deals can be found now.

That said, I'll say that given your trust is not in the platform; you don't need to buy one. Especially given the use that you list. Another option is to just keep your Mini 14 and find 3 or 4 OEM high cap mags (and maybe a couple cheaper 5rders) for it, and call it a day.

If the poop really hits the fan that hard, a single AR is not a game changer. Remember that WWII was fought and won with the 8 round Garand. A Mini would serve you well until you found something better, IMO. I still remember seeing photos of the LA riots and the Asian business owners on their roofs armed with more mini looking weapons than ARs.

You could keep the Ruger and research which critical parts to buy a spare and rest easy. Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Save your pennies...sell the Mini-14 and get a Colt.

...you won't be sorry.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
it's actually pretty hard to find a ***t rifle now a days. If i were you, I'd build a suppressed SBR for your stated needs. you're not going to be taking any 600M shots so a 10.5 inch to 12 inch barrel should be plenty lightweight and compact for both patrol and home defense.

$400 in taxes though, but you will thank me when you pop that first round off inside the house and everyone still has their hearing.
Or build a 10.5" 300blk pistol with the Sig Brace, and start the process of getting a can. Save $200 in taxes, and the 300blk in a pistol configuration is much better than a 10.5" 5.56 build

Save your pennies...sell the Mini-14 and get a Colt.

...you won't be sorry.
It took you long enough...

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That said, I'll say that given your trust is not in the platform; you don't need to buy one. Especially given the use that you list. Another option is to just keep your Mini 14 and find 3 or 4 OEM high cap mags (and maybe a couple cheaper 5rders) for it, and call it a day.
If the poop really hits the fan that hard, a single AR is not a game changer. Remember that WWII was fought and won with the 8 round Garand. A Mini would serve you well until you found something better, IMO. I still remember seeing photos of the LA riots and the Asian business owners on their roofs armed with more mini looking weapons than ARs.
You could keep the Ruger and research which critical parts to buy a spare and rest easy. Good luck in your decision.
every time i start thinking about selling my Mini, someone gotta post something like this. im on the fence, and you aint helpin out :cool:, Lol
i agree and so does my wallet, i dont "need" one. and honestly i've been anti-AR for so long its hard to make the change.
i have five Ruger 20 round and one aftermarket steel mag. i guess its something im gonna have to sleep on for a while.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Or build a 10.5" 300blk pistol with the Sig Brace, and start the process of getting a can. Save $200 in taxes, and the 300blk in a pistol configuration is much better than a 10.5" 5.56 build
I am super not a fan of that stupid sig brace. Can you shoulder it? yes you can. should you shoulder it? maybe. do you prefer to shoulder it? absolutely not.

the thing is so damned short it feels like i'm trying to shove a cardboard box around my body just to get me to fit. I'm not a T-rex. I'd rather be comfortable when i shoot.

I'd much rather have the ability to adjust for LOP than this flimsy rubber thing.

or just buy a Tavor.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I knew I wasn't the only one who honestly thinks poop might hit the fan sometime...

I have been not buying ammo lately, saving for an ar. I'm thinking a colt. I want to get it right the first time.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
AK's and even SKS's aren't common enough?

Aren't reliable enough?

Aren't powerful enough?

Or are you just wanting to stick with what you're used to?

I know a couple of guys who own more than one kind of gun ;)

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I knew I wasn't the only one who honestly thinks poop might hit the fan sometime...

I have been not buying ammo lately, saving for an ar. I'm thinking a colt. I want to get it right the first time.
oh its comin, i started buying more ammo last month. between the GOV, ISIS, and the type of people in Ferguson, if you aint prepared, you're screwed. there is too many signs that we are outnumbered. (dam, thinkin about an AR again!!)

thanks, that helps.........:confused:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts