Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
This would've made the fire in Brian Head, Utah a whole lot less catastrophic. But no, the tree hugger hippies wouldn't let anybody clear out the dead stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
Ever see the forests in Europe? Germany comes to mind. Notice the spacing of the trees? Those woods have been tamed by man for 250 years. They are pretty but they do not look like forests. They look like wood lots. :(

·
Registered
7,793 Posts
People who “want the beauty of the forrest” have to live with the chance of a fire. The europeans understand “controlled clearing” reduces fuel available should anfire occur. Seems people here who live in these areas have yet to discover that little fact. Clear out some of the low growth and brush and you greatly reduce the chance your shiat goes up in smoke. Pretty simple stuff really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,766 Posts
We have a forestry guy in our neighborhood who gave a talk on the importance of clearing deadwood from our lots, esp dead trees leaning diagonally against other trees that act like fuses.

I’m continually clearing deadwood from my lot and I only have 1.5 acres.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We have to think about what the forests look likes 200 years ago [ Did the natives put out the fires?] before we started putting out forest fires. You will then realize how mismanaged our forests have been. Log it or let it burn.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Our land (we have 13 acres of woods) nearly burned last year because someone flicked a cigarette about a mile up the road. Burned right up to the fence-line.

I talked to the fire department chief and he said that the best thing would be to burn off the excess underbrush, but the politicians/hippy/tree huggers wont allow it.

He told me to make sure my insurance is paid up because our whole area is a powder keg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,822 Posts
We live in the wood in SW OR, USA. About 42N, 123W. Kinda. Have had three, (3) close calls with fast moving totally non expected small wildfires that quickly became very dangerous fast moving fairly small wildfires.

With one we were on a hard 30 minute evac notice. During fire season we keep multiple 7-10 day survival bags in the back of the two small old SUVs. We need them. Out the door within 5 minutes. We practice.

Several, (many) scouted motor vehicle ways out of our small mountain valley. This is the price and cost of living in one of the most beautiful natural forest areas in the USA. Is the price too high? NO. We love it here.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
most people don't realize that during a good size fire it rains embers and that spreads the fires like gasoline and then the buildings burn up pretty quick.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
Does insurance cover deforestation?
Good question. No. But.

My community here in the Tennessee mountains applied for a Firewise status with the NFPA. Forming a committee, communicating standards and best practices, we were then able to apply for and receive grants for equipment and supplies to maintain our properties. For the last two years we have received $10,000 grants that went to chain saws, brush hogs, weed-wackers, saws, and all the safety equipment you could imagine. We maintain it all at a central building and check it out as needed. We can also use the funds to contract experts to cut down large trees and do things a single homeowner cannot. It's a great program.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts