Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have an ideas on which decent forearms (carbine length with rails) will accomodate an after market gas piston retro fit?

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
There's several different piston kits out there. You'll have to be more specific about which one you're looking at, but most of the companies I have seen are all using M4 handguards with the exception of some daniel defense forends I think that have been milled internally to accept them.

The whole "not compatible with railed floater thing" has been what's kept me from buying one. Now I've lost interest in them. I just ended up getting an AK and have dismissed the piston conversions entirely.

It wasn't a bad decision. Now I have something in a bigger caliber and I haven't lost any sleep over it yet.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Why are you considering a gas piston - the hype or just general curiosity?

You can mod a Surefire M73 to work with one.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Adams Arms makes a piston retrofit that will work with a multitude of railed forearms. It also is something you can do at home with a few tools instead of having to ship your barrel to get drilled.

·
Banned
7,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are you considering a gas piston - the hype or just general curiosity?

You can mod a Surefire M73 to work with one.
Personally, I don't think a retrofit is hype. I believe the piston system offers some nice little perks .... like less cleaning!!!!!!

I just bought some Midwest forearms at about $150 6 months ago and Bushmaster told me their retrofit won't work with those which is a bummer. That is what prompted my question.

I might just leave my AR just the way it is since my next purchase someday will be an ACR which is a piston system standard.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Look over at ar15.com.
There is a thread somewhere that Denny from Global Tactical posted.
He took an Ares system (Bushmaster) and fit at least one free float rail system to it. He had to machine under the top rail and it has to be a 2 piece rail so the machining can be done. It looked good.

·
Registered
902 Posts
No worries, I was just curious and certainly not flaming you... I like the less cleaning part, but have had no issues with regular SBR/Heavy buffer setup from a reliability or accuracy standpoint and am genuinely curious.

An LEO friend has had issues with his POF upper, and a couple folks I know that tried 'early' conversion kits went back to stock eventually, which just cranks up my curiosity even more.

ACR is bada$$ :twisted:

Personally, I don't think a retrofit is hype. I believe the piston system offers some nice little perks .... like less cleaning!!!!!!

I just bought some Midwest forearms at about $150 6 months ago and Bushmaster told me their retrofit won't work with those which is a bummer. That is what prompted my question.

I might just leave my AR just the way it is since my next purchase someday will be an ACR which is a piston system standard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts