Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i am looking to install a holster in my truck that i can place me gun in while driving as it is uncomfortable to wear when driving.

First off I am a CCW holder

so my question is for you guys that have a holster that is visible from someone looking in you car, IE a Cop. how have the interaction been handled? if they see you having a loaded weapon mounted on lets say center console, what were their reaction? how did you handle the situation?

Any LEO have any advice on the subject?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Do you have a pouch in your drivers front door? Thats where I plan on putting mine. I think I would ruin my pretty wrx seats if I were to not take my pistol out of my holster.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have not installed any type of holster yet, i am looking to attach on to the transmission hump in my truck or to the dash under my HVAC controls. something that i can reach with my strong hand but far enough away that someone can not reach in from the window and grab it. i thought about the mount under the steering wheel but i am a larger guy and think i would bump it too much and not have it 100% accessible.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an F-150, so naturally I haver a large center console. My plan is to use the belt holster that came with my XD40. I want to create a mount that I can screw to the inside of that console, and mount the holster on it...

If anyone's done it, recommendations are appreciated ;) and if I ever get around to doing it, I will post instructions.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I like your idea of mounting the plastic holster. I have been thinking about using a strong magnet to hold my gun in the truck, but was worried that the magnet may some how make the gun go off? I will definitely be mounting the plastic holster in the truck when I get home from vacation.Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't answer your question about the weapon being in plain sight when interacting with the police, especially because I don't know the laws or general reaction police have to guns in your area, but I have the plastic XD gear holster installed in my car. My only regret was not doing it sooner. I bolted it to the side of the center console in my last car. On my current car it is bolted to the driver's side door panel. Works great with XD9sc and XD45 service model. I have been stopped by police several times, and have never had any issues with police while I have a gun(s) in my vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like your idea of mounting the plastic holster. I have been thinking about using a strong magnet to hold my gun in the truck, but was worried that the magnet may some how make the gun go off? I will definitely be mounting the plastic holster in the truck when I get home from vacation.Thanks
I am not sure how new you are to handling firearms, but I think this is a valid concern and I am glad you bring it up. Anytime I am curious about something like this, I ask the question, and I get a snap cap or just an empty chamber, and experiment on my own. This is a great way for people to get over the fear of the gun 'going off' by accident.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I can't answer your question about the weapon being in plain sight when interacting with the police, especially because I don't know the laws or general reaction police have to guns in your area, but I have the plastic XD gear holster installed in my car. My only regret was not doing it sooner. I bolted it to the side of the center console in my last car. On my current car it is bolted to the driver's side door panel. Works great with XD9sc and XD45 service model. I have been stopped by police several times, and have never had any issues with police while I have a gun(s) in my vehicle.
A) I assume you're left handed?
B) Isn't that a bit conspicuous when you get out of a car?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am not sure how new you are to handling firearms, but I think this is a valid concern and I am glad you bring it up. Anytime I am curious about something like this, I ask the question, and I get a snap cap or just an empty chamber, and experiment on my own. This is a great way for people to get over the fear of the gun 'going off' by accident.

Hey Mike, that's a good point about trying it with snap caps, I may have to do some testing here pretty soon. It will be just for curriosity sake though since I'm already sold on mounting the plastic holster in the cab.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts