Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in knowing how much more uncomfortable it is to carry a Mod 2 over the XDs?

I have carried the XDs for over a year now, and like the gun and it's small size. It is my first gun to carry, so I don't have anything else to compare it to. However, I am intrigued by the Mod 2's looks and extra capacity. The Mod 2 doesn't seem to be much larger than the XDs, except for the width.

For those who own and carry both the XDs and Mod 2, which gun to you prefer carrying? Does that extra width make carrying the Mod 2 IWB less enjoyable?

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
I had a XDs .45 but I don't have the Mod2, I do have others in which I carry like a g29 and the g30s and they carry well. I think that the key is having a good holster for what you carry. I have some pretty good holster for them, like the Alien Gear holster and a few Nelson Leather holster for them. So I wouldn't let that stop you from getting a Mod2.

I rented the one in the 9mm and love the feel of it, to the point on not mind getting one. Which on would you get, the 9mm or the .40 not that it matter?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mojoman. I would get the 9mm. Thanks for the holster suggestions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm interested in knowing how much more uncomfortable it is to carry a Mod 2 over the XDs?

I have carried the XDs for over a year now, and like the gun and it's small size. It is my first gun to carry, so I don't have anything else to compare it to. However, I am intrigued by the Mod 2's looks and extra capacity. The Mod 2 doesn't seem to be much larger than the XDs, except for the width.

For those who own and carry both the XDs and Mod 2, which gun to you prefer carrying? Does that extra width make carrying the Mod 2 IWB less enjoyable?

I carry my XDM 3.8 Compact every day for work. When I'm off duty or on call, I carry my XDS. Other than the weight, there is not much difference to me.
I carry both guns in a Winthrop OWB holster, so they both feel the same. It is a very comfortable holster, and I sometimes have it on as long as 14-16 hours.
The Mod 2. is just slightly smaller than the XDM, so it should be similar. The holster has everything to do with comfort.

Hope that help!

Handgun holster Jeans Denim Footwear Shoe

Reactions: mojoman

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I still carry the single-stack pistols but in certain situations I prefer a small pistol with a higher capacity, which is why I bought the Mod.2.

The width difference between the XDs and XD Mod.2 is 2/10" and it isn't enough to even detect. You will quickly notice the weight difference between the unloaded guns is 3 oz, but add the 7 rounds above the XDs for the real variance. I've carried the Mod.2 for a few weeks and it's an easy carry. I don't even think about it much anymore- except to know I've got twice the ammo and a slightly better trigger.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have handled the MOD.2 and own an original XDsc and an XDs 3.3. I have a very small waist and as such find the XDs much more comfortable IWB. I have an Alien Gear holster with shells for both of my guns. I carry about 4:30 in this holster. Since I have got my XDs my XDsc has been carried only OWB. That being said I carried it both IWB and OWB before I got my XDs.

I am interested in the MOD.2 as it has been slimmed down a little. I might have to invest in another IWB taco style holster like I have for my XDs for quick on and off trips...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome feedback and photos, folks. I really appreciate it. I'm going to buy the Mod 2 tomorrow and order an Alien Gear holster for it. I plan on keeping my XDs, and have the option to carry the gun that best suits my needs. You can't have enough guns. Right?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
I own xdsc & xds its more comfortable carrying xds seems to me to be lighter and conceals better for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome feedback and photos, folks. I really appreciate it. I'm going to buy the Mod 2 tomorrow and order an Alien Gear holster for it. I plan on keeping my XDs, and have the option to carry the gun that best suits my needs. You can't have enough guns. Right?
True! I just bought the mod. 2 it's my first handgun/firearm period! I have a Blackhawk IWB holster and I have no problems carrying my mod. 2.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I still carry the single-stack pistols but in certain situations I prefer a small pistol with a higher capacity, which is why I bought the Mod.2.

The width difference between the XDs and XD Mod.2 is 2/10" and it isn't enough to even detect. You will quickly notice the weight difference between the unloaded guns is 3 oz, but add the 7 rounds above the XDs for the real variance. I've carried the Mod.2 for a few weeks and it's an easy carry. I don't even think about it much anymore- except to know I've got twice the ammo and a slightly better trigger.

Well, thanks for your feedback. I went and bought a Mod.2 today after I read it!
Looking forward to carrying it.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Well, thanks for your feedback. I went and bought a Mod.2 today after I read it!
Looking forward to carrying it.
Your welcome, it's a pleasure helping you spend your money.

Now crack that wallet again for a good belt and holster. These minimalist kydex IWB holsters are perfect for my carry needs, I'm pulling the holster on and off throughout the day. If I wore a gun constantly I'd go with a hybrid or OWB.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The width difference between the XDs and XD Mod.2 is 2/10" and it isn't enough to even detect.
Not to put too fine a point on it, but SA shows the grip width difference to be 0.29 in. Though still not much more than 0.2 in., some people claim that the grip width makes a big difference in CC, Hickok45 being one of them.

I'm sure it depends on your build, how you dress for CC and your tolerance for anything other than complete concealment, but a difference, nonetheless!

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Not to put too fine a point on it, but SA shows the grip width difference to be 0.29 in. Though still not much more than 0.2 in., some people claim that the grip width makes a big difference in CC, Hickok45 being one of them.

I'm sure it depends on your build, how you dress for CC and your tolerance for anything other than complete concealment, but a difference, nonetheless!
In my experience carrying both guns, the width didn't make much difference. But then again, I carry this from time to time--

·
Registered
195 Posts
WillieH, I guess I am about the same as you and Beamon as I have my holster or just the gun off sometimes when I am out. I have holsters like your top one as they are easy to put on & take off. Also very easy to re holster.

What is the second holster you show. It does look good. It can be an OWB as well as IWB can't it?

Right now I do like my XDs 9 better for carry than my XD mod2. The extra thickness does make a difference to me. I guess I am just comfortable with 8 or 10 rounds. The only time I ever needed a second mag was with a 6' rattlesnake & I used both mags of a PPK on that devil. Only in the movies do they pop them in the head with one shot. He was about to die of lead poisoning & old age when I finally stopped him.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
... What is the second holster you show. It does look good. It can be an OWB as well as IWB can't it?

Right now I do like my XDs 9 better for carry than my XD mod2. The extra thickness does make a difference to me. I guess I am just comfortable with 8 or 10 rounds.
That's what some call a hybrid holster made popular by CrossBreed and many others. If I wore a gun all day, it would be my favorite because the large backing conforms to your body distributing the weight very comfortably. The downside is putting in on quickly, which I'm sure some can do but I have to unbuckle my belt and pants for positioning. The Firearm Holster pictured can be duel IWB/OWB.

I still carry the single-stack guns and have really taken to Ruger's LC9s-PRO. But in certain situations I want more capacity in a similar size gun. Your comfortable with limited rounds is your decision but you also carry an extra mag, I don't and would rather have the rounds readily available.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just a note to WilleH... your pictures are outstanding! Well exposed and tack sharp. A pleasure to view.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think you will be fine carrying the Mod 2. I have the original and an XDs and I prefer the sub compact for the extra rounds. And, if you don't have one, het a really good gun belt.

·
Registered
80 Posts

Now that I have been carrying my Mod.2 for a few days, I really cannot tell the difference between the XD-S and the Mod.2. In fact I'm gonna go ahead and sell my XD-S to one of my officers that has been wanting one. I don't think I will carry it again. I love this pistol!

Reactions: sgtguthrie
1 - 20 of 22 Posts