Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would say the general consensus on handguns is to always carry hollow points for Home and Self defense.....but what about AR's?

What round is in your AR mag, if its designated for Home Defense duty?

what bullet type?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I wouldn't use a 5.56 for home defense...over-penetration I would think. That's just me...
I don't think the 5.56 is an over penetrator....

I am of the mind that a 12ga or pistol is ideal for HD, but if you have an AR and its @ home, does it matter what kind of round is in the mag in case its the one gun you can get to?....

(and yes, I always have my XD on my hip, thats another thread all together)

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
I don't have an AR but this question is interesting to me because people DO intend to use them for home defense. such as the marine that was killed by swat in AZ.

thinking of that and seeing how swat shot up his house and the ammo they use "over penetrated" and they shot up neighbors houses... I think that's something to consider.

I cant fault the marine that died though. if I had people stacking up with rifles outside my house I would want more than just a side arm.

its a catch 22 though. you need the firepower a rifle has but its rude to put holes in your neighbors and their property.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I wouldn't use a 5.56 for home defense...over-penetration I would think. That's just me...
the way I see it, no matter what rifle you use your going to have "over-penetration"

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
AR15 won't over penetrate, the bullets break up too fast inside the human body.

I use M193 rounds for home defense. I assume whoever I am shooting at will probably have soft body armor.

·
Registered
422 Posts
the way I see it, no matter what rifle you use your going to have "over-penetration"
Well I would tend to agree unless it was a plinker .22 rifle heh

But I would go with a 12 gauge with 2 3/4 or 3" and call it good. A Remington 870/1100/11-87, Mossberg 590...or maybe a Benelli or Saiga-12 if you could get your hands on one. I know that doesn't really answer his question but it would be my preference.

I guess if I had a 5.56 and I HAD to use it for home defense...well then I don't know what kind of bullet. Do they make frangible rounds for the 5.56? :?:

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
It's too hard to be able to pick just one caliber or gun for virtually every scenario that could happen.

That's why you pick one, and learn everything you can about it.

Shot placement is key, and there is an old rule, KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's too hard to be able to pick just one caliber or gun for virtually every scenario that could happen.

That's why you pick one, and learn everything you can about it.

Shot placement is key, and there is an old rule, KNOW YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT.
Well if I have a .22 rifle, a 5.56 rifle, a .308 rifle, a 9mm pistol, and a 12 gauge shotgun all next to my bed and I have to reach for one for home defense, I am reaching for the shotty. Just what I would do.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hornady 55gr TAP. It's explosive inside human tissue, but dissipates energy extremely quickly after going through a barrier (especially compared to the heavier FMJ 5.56 bullets). I have seen many, many tests on this subject from which to make an informed decision. Hornady 55gr TAP is the way to go.

·
Registered
921 Posts

No. The 5.56 will penetrate less than a handgun round such as the 9mm.
The handgun bullet is DESIGNED for penetration, the 5.56 is designed to tumble the second it hits something.
The bullet is stable in flight but as soon as the lighter point hits an object the heavier tail of the bullet flips over the front, causing the tumble. You can see that on the linked chart below just how fast the .223 or 5.56 will tumble and break apart after hitting a barrier.
You can also see in the linked chart how much further a 9mm or a .45 will go vs a 5.56, or even a .308win
http://www.tridentconcepts.com/alumni/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/1620135812171.jpg

Also, here is a study olympic arms did to test the very question of this thread:
http://www.olyarms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=15&Itemid=26

Personally i have 2 Pmags loaded with LC FMJ as my go to should i need to.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No. The 5.56 will penetrate less than a handgun round such as the 9mm.
The handgun bullet is DESIGNED for penetration, the 5.56 is designed to tumble the second it hits something.
The bullet is stable in flight but as soon as the lighter point hits an object the heavier tail of the bullet flips over the front, causing the tumble.
http://www.tridentconcepts.com/alumni/Portals/0/NTForums_Attach/1620135812171.jpg
Thank you for adding that. I forgot that point about the tumbling.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Soft points are what I have loaded up. They make devastating wounds on deer and I haven't ever had one go through yet. A Barnes 70g HP did, but never with the SP's. I figure that is real world results enough for me. That said, my first grab is always for a pistol, either 9mm or .45acp. I just keep the AR loaded just in case.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I have a 20ga Mossberg loaded with 00 buck for home defense. The place I live is brick, as are the places around it, so I dont worry *too* much about over penetration. I opted for the 20ga over the 12ga so the wife could shoot it easier.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have Hornady TAP 5.56 75gr T2 loaded in my ar. It is a fragmenting round. Most testing I have seen puts this round near or at the top in self defense ammo. Loads with TSX bullets are also a very good choice.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts