Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have you bought to clean / oil your gun.

I could have sworn I read a post that said it's not necessary to oil the slide once it's been coated... any truth to this?

I guess I just need to know EXACTLY what to order, so I'm not short handed when the time comes. Thanks a lot! - Tyler

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Who told you not to oil it? I have never heard that. My pistol is dura-coated, and I put a drop of oil on each rail, and every moving part.

I use Blue Wonder products... But any oil will do in a pinch.

Raymond

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any kind of XD oiling / cleaning guide online? The manual doesn't help much, or wait, I meant at all.

Also, I've heard alot of different oils recommended. But what do you guys think? Thanks!

I purchased a generic Hobbes barrel (or bore, whatever) rod, and some cotton pads.

Now what else should I get? Just a lube for the bore and then a seperate oil or lube for the slide? Or is it all one? Do you suggest putting a bit on the cotton pads when running them threw the bore? Thanks!

P.S. - I have searched for these same topics, and their are many. I just need to hear it over and over again to make sense.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Firepower_426 said:
Is there any kind of XD oiling / cleaning guide online? The manual doesn't help much, or wait, I meant at all.

Also, I've heard alot of different oils recommended. But what do you guys think? Thanks!

I purchased a generic Hobbes barrel (or bore, whatever) rod, and some cotton pads.

Now what else should I get? Just a lube for the bore and then a seperate oil or lube for the slide? Or is it all one? Do you suggest putting a bit on the cotton pads when running them threw the bore? Thanks!

P.S. - I have searched for these same topics, and their are many. I just need to hear it over and over again to make sense.

Thanks again.
I guess you mean hoppes and in my mind hoppes #9 is not generic. My daddies daddies dad used Hoppes. I dunno I like the stuff I have with mu Otis cleaning kit but I also have armadillo producs and have been pleased with both. I used to use Hoppes on m rifles alot. But they dont get as much usage as my handguns, Actually I think a few have not been shot in like 4 or 5 years. or cleaned for that matter.

Thanks man I appereciate it, Now I have to get off my lazy butt and clean guns as well as my gun case. Like I just did'nt do enough rakeing and blowing the leaves up this afternoon.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, yes Hobbes. I only purchased the metal rod though, as I wasn't sure what I should use for an actual cleaning product.

So what cleaning product do I need for the:
Bore?
Everything else (slide, etc.)?

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Don't use any oil in your barrel.. Use a good solvent.. then wipe it clean with a patch. Buy the patches at your gunstore... you want something that will not leave anything behind. You could use old baby diapers if you have any around... they work pretty well. (I have lots of them... if you need some let me know.)

Run patches until the bore is clean.. You will know when it is clean.. DO NOT USE ANY OIL IN THE BORE!

Raymond

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
XDTOM40 said:
Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner and Breakfree CLP is all you need :D
I'm good on the diapers! Haha, but I have some cotton patches ready to go.

So, I'm assuming Blue Wonder is for the Bore, and CLP is for everything else?

Anything else? Thanks!

P.S. - I'll pick them up soon!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts