Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you could have one long(ish) rifle on a seriously small budget, what would it be?

I'd love to have an AR/AK but it's just not in the cards.

I've been looking at the HiPoint's for a year now and like the idea of something robust, simple and frugal. With that piece in mind, what else would you look at?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you take a Saiga over an SKS?

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
I'd ask if you want an actual rifle, or a pistol-caliber carbine? I know a lot of people like the Hi-Point carbines...but, if I was looking for a rifle, they would not be a first choice.

For a rifle, I'd decide if I wanted semi-auto, or not. If yes, I'd be looking at SKS's. They can still be found for less than $250 easy, less than $200 with some digging.

If not semi-auto, then it would be bolt action, or not. If yes for bolt...the Nagants (in any form) for less than $100 are a bargain. The Yugo M48 Mausers (usually less than $200) are also a great rifle for a cheap price. If you want a rifle in a more common caliber than 7.62x54R or 8x57 (such as .223, .308 or .30-06), look at a Savage or Stevens bolt action. For around $300, you can get a great rifle in almost any caliber you want.

Don't want any of those above? A used lever-action .30-30 can often be found for less than $300; new isn't much more, usually. The Remington pump-action 76 series (760, 7600) can often be found, with optics, for less than $400 used, and come in .308, .30-06, and other calibers.

And, personally, if I was looking at a pistol-caliber carbine...before I'd get a hi-point, I'd look for a lever-action .357 or .44 carbine.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Besides a Hi-Point, I would consider an SKS. They are definitely robust, simple and frugal.

I have a Hi-Point 995 carbine another xdtalk member is considering buying. If he is not interested, I will let you know. It has a better stock, red dot and extra mags. And, the price is righteous, O, Polycarp. Thou mightest not haveth to suffer martyrdom, if thou art packing a Hi-Point.

Tony

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
455 Posts
I re-arraigned my budget to include several 'bannable' firearms a la AWB as we expect it might come down. That really takes me out of your purchasing league; but I'll tell you what really caught my eye, as far as a 'straight' rifle goes (per your description). A Ruger Mark II Compact, walnut stock, blued in 7mm-08 caliber. No sights, but matching 1 inch rings (Weaver mount type) to fit the milled slots in the receiver are included. They also come in synthetic and laminate stocks and stainless. There is a limited selection of calibers.

This fires a .284 (7mm) bullet from a necked-down .308 case. Ballistically suitable for all but the very largest north american game (at the other end of the spectrum including varmits at short range (2-300yrds) with light bullets), very short at about 35 inches length (good in heavy brush) and light weight (about 6.5 pounds with an average 3-9X40 scope). This rifle has the bolt lock feature enhancing it's field safe carry ability. Recoil is said to be on the mild end of the scale; muzzle blast is loud-but that's typical for short barrels (16 1/2 inches). Accuracy is typical for hunting bolt actions.

NIB about $600.00 plus scope.
It's not hard to see this as something for a youthful shooter or a small framed individual but if you've ever carried a heavy full length rifle all day through heavy brush or mountainous terrain, well you'd get the point.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Would you take a Saiga over an SKS?
Me personaly, I would take a Saiga over an SKS and an SKS over a hi-point. High cap mags are available for the Saiga, tough to find and spendy but you can get them. There is a debate going on whether you can legally shoot hi-caps in an unconverted Saiga without 922r compliance parts. I have heard from a guy who builds them that you can. Other guy's say you can't. What I do know is the Saiga and SKS are both good rifles. The saiga is virtually bomb proof and can eat Wolf ammo all day long without one hiccup.

Check out Atlantic Firearms. They have some pretty decent pricing if it's in stock.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
hey poly i just ordered my .223 saiga AK from centerfire.

I do have an sks and for $200 flat they were a great value just recently.

if you are on a budget and want a gun with knock down power a $200 sks is a hard to beat value.

i havent shot a highpoint, so they might be great, but the carbine is just 9mm

9x19mm Parabellum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ballistic performance Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy 7.5 g (116 gr) FMJ 360 m/s (1,200 ft/s) 483 J (356 ft·lbf) 8.0 g (123 gr) FMJ 350 m/s (1,100 ft/s) 494 J (364 ft·lbf) 9.5 g (147 gr) FMJ 300 m/s (980 ft/s) 442 J (326 ft·lbf) Test barrel length: 102 mm
Source: Federal Cartridge[1] C.I.P.[2]

7.62x39mm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ballistic performance Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy 123 gr (8.0 g) Spitzer 710 m/s (2,300 ft/s) 2,010 J (1,480 ft·lbf) 154 gr (10.0 g) Spitzer SP 641.3 m/s (2,104 ft/s) 2,059 J (1,519 ft·lbf) Source: Chuck Hawks[1]Wolf Ammo

.223 Remington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ballistic performance Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy 36 gr (2.3 g) JHP 3,750 ft/s (1,140 m/s) 1,124 ft·lbf (1,524 J) 55 gr (3.6 g) Nosler ballistic tip 3,240 ft/s (990 m/s) 1,282 ft·lbf (1,738 J) 60 gr (3.9 g) Nosler partition 3,160 ft/s (960 m/s) 1,330 ft·lbf (1,800 J) 69 gr (4.5 g) BTHP 2,950 ft/s (900 m/s) 1,333 ft·lbf (1,807 J) 77 gr (5.0 g) BTHP 2,750 ft/s (840 m/s) 1,293 ft·lbf (1,753 J) Test barrel length: 24 in.
Source: Federal Cartridge

a 7.62x39 has 5 times the energy 9mm

a .223 has 3 times the energy of a 9mm

·
Registered
129 Posts
My father-in-law bought one for about $80. I bought it from him for $150. It was a Chinese in perfect condition with all the accoutrements. Sold it to dealer for $175. In other words, he could get more for it than what he paid me. This was at least two years ago that I sold it. And, yesterday I saw a tattered SKS at a shop selling for $275. What? :roll:

Good guns, though. Wish I had kept mine, but I eventually say that about every gun I have sold. Doh!

Tony

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
on a budget I'd get a saiga now along with some high cap mags, then convert it when funds are available (you should still be able to get everything you need for a conversion even after a ban.

If funds don't permit that even, I'd go with an SKS, no question.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think that those already mentioned are probably the best options, but figured I throw out the M1 Carbine. I bought one used for $250 (it's a Plainfield). I love it, it's a ton of fun to shoot. It's been easy to find magazines for (just stay away from the 30 rounders). Ammo is not as easy to find as the more popular calibers, but right now I don't know if that holds true because of the run on everything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Besides a Hi-Point, I would consider an SKS. They are definitely robust, simple and frugal.

I have a Hi-Point 995 carbine another xdtalk member is considering buying. If he is not interested, I will let you know. It has a better stock, red dot and extra mags. And, the price is righteous, O, Polycarp. Thou mightest not haveth to suffer martyrdom, if thou art packing a Hi-Point.

Tony
Preacher... mark me down for the Hi-Point. If the price is right and you still have it, you will no longer own it if you contact me.

MM

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
If you could have one long(ish) rifle on a seriously small budget, what would it be?...
Mosin Nagants (surplus) can be had for anywhere between well under $100 to $200 depending on condition. Ammo is plentiful and not expensive.

Examples

·
Premium Member
8,572 Posts
SKS. A true rifle. Cheap, Reliable, powerful, robust, and just plain cool.

I picked up a nice Norinco out of a gun show a few months back, for around $225. PRISTINE FURNITURE and all matching.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts