Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jacket and sweatshirt weather is almost upon us.

And with 4-6 week turnaround times at most holster places, its high time for me to make a decision regarding OWB carry of the G27.

Thus far I've just been appendix carrying the G27 in a Desantis nemesis.

Are there any differences really between the Raven Phantom and the Bravo Concealment Patriot?
I am pretty sure I would be happy with either.

Any other quality Kydex benders I should be aware of?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Bravo concealment in my
Opinion

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I know most people aren't into making things themselves, but for the cost of either of those holsters, you can make 10-12 kydex holsters yourself.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Raven now has quick shipping. I received mine for my XDsc in about 5 days. There is a video on YouTube comparing these two holsters side by side. The Raven has a higher finish level on it but that is about the only difference in actual build. Of course you pay a little more for a better finish.

As for your second question there are numerous quality kydex holsters on the market.... Just do some research and read some reviews. A good place to start would be the vendor section on here.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Another brand to look at is X-Concealment. They make a high quality kydex holster that's nicely finished. I love mine for carrying my G26 OWB. Carries a little higher on the hip and conceals easily even under a t-shirt. I don't like carrying IWB anymore. I got my holster fast and at a competitive price. Their current lead time is only 5 days. I would not hesitate to buy one their holsters for a Glock again.

A couple of other to check out too.
KT Holsters - Home
JM Custom Kydex OWB - Version 2

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another brand to look at is X-Concealment. They make a high quality kydex holster that's nicely finished. I love mine for carrying my G26 OWB. Carries a little higher on the hip and conceals easily even under a t-shirt. I don't like carrying IWB anymore. I got my holster fast and at a competitive price. Their current lead time is only 5 days. I would not hesitate to buy one their holsters for a Glock again.

A couple of other to check out too.
KT Holsters - Home
JM Custom Kydex OWB - Version 2
That looks really nice.
Is that a straight drop, or does it have a cant to it?

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Mine has a 10 degree cant to it but they can do a 0 degree. They even design it to your size waist so it fits awsome on the hip. You can also choose your sweat guard height and they have nice colors to choose from.

Here's a line to the exact one I have but I suggest looking at all of their options.
GENERATION 2 C SERIES COMPACT OWB HOLSTER [G2COWB] - $69.99 : X-Concealment, Better Concealment for Better Protection

My next one will have the snaps
GENERATION 2 C SERIES SNAP-ON HOLSTER [OWBSNP] - $84.99 : X-Concealment, Better Concealment for Better Protection

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mine has a 10 degree cant to it but they can do a 0 degree. They even design it to your size waist so it fits awsome on the hip. You can also choose your sweat guard height and they have nice colors to choose from.

Here's a line to the exact one I have but I suggest looking at all of their options.
GENERATION 2 C SERIES COMPACT OWB HOLSTER [G2COWB] - $69.99 : X-Concealment, Better Concealment for Better Protection
Just ordered one of these in black.
Lead time given was 10 business days, so I should see it in about two weeks.

Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Vg 2 a paddle is more stability and a bigger footprint than you need. For a 23 I'd go phantom shipping in 3 days or less now is great

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vg 2 a paddle is more stability and a bigger footprint than you need. For a 23 I'd go phantom shipping in 3 days or less now is great.

Sometimes you make no sense.

My deciphering skills lead me to believe you are suggesting a Vanguard2 because a paddle is too large, although much more stable. Then you suggest a larger holster for a gun I don't have.
I think.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Sometimes you make no sense.

My deciphering skills lead me to believe you are suggesting a Vanguard2 because a paddle is too large, although much more stable. Then you suggest a larger holster for a gun I don't have.
I think.
For the 27 I feel a vanguard 2 is appropriate.

The phantoms great but not needed unless you have a bigger gun. That said it will work, but the bigger footprint will cost you much of the size advantage of the 27

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I have a Raven Phantom for my XDsc and can easily hide it under a light jacket and wear it most Sundays under a suit coat. Before I got my Alien Gear I wore my Phantom IWB and OWB. For me comfort IWB was a big deciding factor to purchase a dedicated hybrid for IWB.

That being said I am always shopping for a better holster that will allow me to hide the gun better.

OP if you decide to go with the Raven and are interested I have two different belt attachments for my Raven Phantom that do not work for me. I have the pancake wings for OWB and the offset tuckable struts for IWB. These struts have pull the dot snap loops that can be mounted directly to the holster for non tuckable IWB. PM me if you are interested in them.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Jacket and sweatshirt weather is almost upon us.

And with 4-6 week turnaround times at most holster places, its high time for me to make a decision regarding OWB carry of the G27.

Thus far I've just been appendix carrying the G27 in a Desantis nemesis.

Are there any differences really between the Raven Phantom and the Bravo Concealment Patriot?
I am pretty sure I would be happy with either.

Any other quality Kydex benders I should be aware of?
Between the two I'd go with Raven simply because of their Quick Ship option. Bravo's lead time puts it the same as a custom order from Raven.

If you want to shop around a bit, Kaluban Kloak offers a very comprehensive list of holster makers (both leatherworkers and Kydex folders) that you can cross-shop:

Kydex Holster Makers

There's *LOTS* of great Kydex holster makers out there.

With a minimalist holster like the Vanguard/Vanguard2, just remember that if you intend to train with that setup in a class atmosphere, you'll have to take extra time to re-holster. I've seen it done before - the classmate just made a concession to the fact that he'll miss every other repetition so that he can make sure he returns it to the holster and the waistband correctly.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I am a huge fan of Raven Concealment's Phantom holsters.

Have them for my G19 and 1911 and swear by this rig.

-brickboy240

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
I am a huge fan of Raven Concealment's Phantom holsters.
^ I should also confess that if I were to frame this decision in terms of "what I would do," I'd go with Raven.

Simply because they're good guys. :cool:

When I started collecting custom knives, I was just buying stuff left and right.

Then I met a guy whom I consider, to this day, my mentor in the hobby.

His advice?

There's *A LOT* of good stuff out there.

Spend money with the people you like. :)

I'm not saying that Bravo's bad peeps. I'm just saying that I've met the Raven guys. I've shot with them. They've done me right in the past. So I'm gonna keep going with them. :)

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Just ordered one of these in black.
Lead time given was 10 business days, so I should see it in about two weeks.

Thanks for the info.
No problem. I think you'll be totally satisfied with it. Like I said, mine conceals so well and it so comfortable I don't like IWB anymore. The retention works great and the fit and finish is top notch.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Between the two I'd go with Raven simply because of their Quick Ship option. Bravo's lead time puts it the same as a custom order from Raven.

If you want to shop around a bit, Kaluban Kloak offers a very comprehensive list of holster makers (both leatherworkers and Kydex folders) that you can cross-shop:

Kydex Holster Makers

There's *LOTS* of great Kydex holster makers out there.

With a minimalist holster like the Vanguard/Vanguard2, just remember that if you intend to train with that setup in a class atmosphere, you'll have to take extra time to re-holster. I've seen it done before - the classmate just made a concession to the fact that he'll miss every other repetition so that he can make sure he returns it to the holster and the waistband correctly.
That's why I have a acr from raven for classes to reholster without burning myself in class.

If I carried with it 3/330 I'd get the crossbreed. And have both options

I figured for the g19 I liked the weight distribution and carry with the acr now.for my mp9c vg2 was sweet

Edit: re read op I vote raven phantom+ a vg2 while your ordering. Loops or quick disconnect per your preference (I have both)

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Good to hear. I was a little surprised by the 10 day lead time and was thinking maybe they had a surge in production puting them behind. I got mine in about 3-5 days I think. I'm anxious to hear how you like it. Its a very compact holster that fits tight to the body and doesn't have a lot of excess kydex a lot of other holsters have.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts