Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you guys that have been reloading for a long time know anything about an "H-style" press? My wife's uncle gave it to me and really isn't around to offer any advice. It was manufactured by Micro-Precision of Omaha, NE but I can't find any information online. It looks like it would be a pretty slow process to load on it but I thought it may be good for doing something like .30-06, where I would only make a handful of rounds at a time to test.

Any advice or info would be great.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Does it look sort of like this but with three spots for dies:

If that is what it is...think of it as a first attempt at a progressive reloading machine. Once you get going, with one pull of the lever, you can have: 1) resizing; 2) seater; and 3) crimp (or sizer, charger, seater, etc. etc.).

If it is a 3-position press...you can always just use the center position and use it like any other modern single-stage press.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Wow ORD, that press is cool. Two or three stations, I'd still only do one operation at a time and move on to the next, as long as bushing/pillar fit is tight. At least you wouldn't have to switch out dies! Does yours track up the same if you use just one operation at a time? Not that a sizing operation would yeild the same pressure on the press as a seater!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
That actually isn't mine...just one that I ran across not long ago. Cool idea on an older piece of equipment. I'd never seen one before, but apparently presses similar to that one were made for years at an old glass factory about five miles from where I grew up. They were made with single, dual (pictured) and triple stations. I thought that might be the style press you were talking about. I guess yours is a single model.

I am still using an older RCBS Rock Chucker single stage for most all of my rifle cartridges and a Hornady Progressive for pistols. The single-stage presses are excellent. Yes, they take some additional time to get the job done, but they are very consistent and you can spend the extra time making sure that you load everything very precisely. I actually find that my reloads are more consistent and more accurate from the single-stage than from a progressive.

MidwayUSA - RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press

·
Registered
536 Posts
CH or C & H makes a similar one and they are proud of it! you see them on eplay usually, occassionally on arfcom. I would think the parts would be interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it look sort of like this but with three spots for dies:

If that is what it is...think of it as a first attempt at a progressive reloading machine. Once you get going, with one pull of the lever, you can have: 1) resizing; 2) seater; and 3) crimp (or sizer, charger, seater, etc. etc.).

If it is a 3-position press...you can always just use the center position and use it like any other modern single-stage press.
Yes that is very similar to the one I have, except mine is a three station press. I will probably try it out to learn the basics before I move up to anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts