Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Specifically when it comes to conceal carry, what are the pros/cons between the XDM 3.8 Compact 9mm and the XD Subcompact 9mm?

Also, what are your most comfortable conceal carry holsters for the same weapons?

I am looking to buy in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I chose the 3.8 compact in stainless and an MTAC holster. I liked the stainless because the scratches are easy to get back out and I really liked having the ability of field stripping without having to pull the trigger. Yes, it should be a non-issue but anything to idiot proof is normally a good thing. I like the option of having a mega capacity backup mag as well. And lastly, I think it is a prettier firearm....:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I chose the XD SC, but that's mostly because I wanted it as small as possible, and I couldn't justify the extra 130$ for an XDM.. for my first CC gun.

If you aren't too worried about cost, and can conceal the XDM, I would say go for it. It's a sexy firearm and the better barrel can do nothing but help you put it between a crook's eyes, I mean center mass. :)

I work for Papa John's Pizza so I had to choose the smaller gun. I have to tuck in a shirt that doesn't give ideal options. The XD replaced a worthless Diamondback DB380 that can only be relied on to jam. I have a custom IWB holster just like the crossbreed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
the xdsc and xdmc grips are the same length. only difference is the overall length of the xdmc is 3/4 of and inch longer. lookup the side by side pics of the 2.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would get the XDm. If I had the money to buy a new one I would to replace xd9sc as a carry piece.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the xdm .40 3.8 its a bit heavy to me. I have recently switch to a g26 for my carry it dose not weigh as much as the xdm sc either. But i still love to shoot my xdm the most.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I would think you might want to test both out, shoot them, try them in a concealed holster. I bought my XD9sc last year, before the XD 3.8 compact came out. My XDsc is approaching 4000 flawless rounds (well, there was one 1 bad WWB round) and thus why I won't replace it but if I were in the market, would probably go with the XDM as it shouldn't be a problem concealing it with the longer barrel. I conceal my Glock 19 as easily as my XDsc. I use a leather Don Humme holster for concealed carry, works great for me.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would think you might want to test both out, shoot them, try them in a concealed holster. I bought my XD9sc last year, before the XD 3.8 compact came out. My XDsc is approaching 4000 flawless rounds (well, there was one 1 bad WWB round) and thus why I won't replace it but if I were in the market, would probably go with the XDM as it shouldn't be a problem concealing it with the longer barrel. I conceal my Glock 19 as easily as my XDsc. I use a leather Don Humme holster for concealed carry, works great for me.
I have a XDm compact 3.8 in .40 have been carring it all week since I got my Crossbreed. Rearranged the angle slightly but other than that no one has batted an eye this week and I wear it with a shirt and tie.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It sounds like the xdm 3.8 compact and the xdsc are pretty much the same when it comes to conceal carry. Is it true that the slightly longer barrel is not a big deal when it comes to concealment?

·
Registered
120 Posts
yes, the length of the barrel is not the biggerst concern when it comes to conceal carry, the grip is. I am pretty sure the grip on the XD sub compact and XDm compact is the same size, and I believe the XDm grip is a tad thinner(I could be wrong). I personally had the XDm 3.8 .40, but just last thursday I traded that in for a XDm 3.8 .40 compact. I will be carrying it in a CB super tuck. I think the XDm looks better, has a better feel, and has some better components which made it an easy sell for me.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I have a XDm compact 3.8 in .40 have been carring it all week since I got my Crossbreed. Rearranged the angle slightly but other than that no one has batted an eye this week and I wear it with a shirt and tie.
I've been thinking about ordering one as well.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I own both and they're almost exactly the same size.. It's personal preference on what you feel most comfortable to shoot. The barrel is 0.8" longer but hardly noticeable, the grip is more of an issue to conceal. The grip on the SC and XDm are just about the same size.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FOR CCW that extra .8" was enough to nix the M for me. It's the shortness of a hi-capacity 9 that lets me tolerate the XD's width and its priced right so I don't worry about how it wears in the holster. Beside that it really felt better in my hand then the XDm compact 3.8". Not sure why....?

·
Registered
408 Posts
What he said. I carry my XDm 3.8" 9mm in a CBST and I tend to forget it is there until I drop my pants getting ready for bed. Then I have to tromp on out to the living room safe and put it up. (Have a bedroom safe for my .45)

RJ

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the xdm .40 3.8 its a bit heavy to me. I have recently switch to a g26 for my carry it dose not weigh as much as the xdm sc either. But i still love to shoot my xdm the most.

I have had the xdm compact .40 (the new one with 11+1 mag) and concealed it everyday for past 2 months. Sounds like you need either a new belt, or a new holster. I had the same problem off the get go, got a thick belt, and two nice holsters (crossbreed for IWB and Tagua OWB for untucked t-shirt) and have had 0 issues. Might be worth a try.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also, the smartcarry option you really need to consider before you buy. It works great for pocket pistols, like your PM9 and LCP, but it really... bulges out to put it nicely for me. You still need to make sure your pants have a very loose crotch section to try smart carry on an xdm compact.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Whatever you get, I'd recommend a SmartCarry unless you want to buy all new pants 2 sizes larger for comfortable IWB carry.
My number one CCW holster. Wear it properly and there is no "bulge". Also the SmartCary can be used for a "cash stash", ID holder, and........has a mag pouch.

Money back guarantee.

My XD .40 SC is my always CC weapon. I find the grips on the "M" to be too agressive and therefore uncomfortable.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Personally I think the XD is entirely sufficient and a tad more compact with the shorter barrel plus cheaper so I would go for that. In fact, I did and I have yet to regret it. I use a Blackhawk Serpa CQB concealment holster with it which I find reasonably concealable with a light vest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts