Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was doing a thorough cleaning this weekend, I was a bit bummed to find some rust under the grip pannles of my 1911. So there you have it stainless steel rusts too... but with some elbow grease and some effort it came off and its as good as new...

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
hytekblue said:
So there you have it stainless steel rusts too...

of course stainless steel rusts... its a ferous metal.

stainless steel isnt rust proof, it just stains less...

good to hear you got it off though.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
therooster said:
hytekblue said:
So there you have it stainless steel rusts too...

of course stainless steel rusts... its a ferous metal.

stainless steel isnt rust proof, it just stains less...

good to hear you got it off though.

After all it is "stain-LESS" not "stain-free" ;)

brad cook

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Ok, lets us ban all metals that rust. Anyone knwo about any high tensile strength metals/alloys that are oxidation free? Speak up now. The main problem is people do not do complete and thorough maintence regularly. Every gun manual I own says to have your gun torn down and cleaned/inspected by a qualified smith once per year. If you can do it yourself, fine, if not spend the money. If you are lazy or complacent your gun WILL rust.

This is not mean as a general attack on anyone. I am sure many of you take decent care of your guns. I also think those who do have no rust issues. We rely too heavily on having finishes and alloys take care of the issue.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
yep... mine rusts, and i dont care. you know why?

because its a TOOL, and it will still shoot when i need it to even though there is a little surface rust on it.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
he he hehe he said TOOL
Boiinngg :mrgreen:

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a rusty tale post... w00t hehehe.... on the posative side... no more rust... and boy has it been humid... and my sweat lately has been pretty corosive...

Hey on a side note... who carries while exerciseing... I roller blade in a bublic park... and with dusk getting earlier and earlier... I have been thinking about carrying while bladeing.... and biking... talk about sweating... anybody got rigs for exercise carry?

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Ok, lets us ban all metals that rust. Anyone knwo about any high tensile strength metals/alloys that are oxidation free?
How about titanium????

Hey on a side note... who carries while exerciseing... I roller blade in a bublic park... and with dusk getting earlier and earlier... I have been thinking about carrying while bladeing.... and biking... talk about sweating... anybody got rigs for exercise carry?
I sometime use a fanny pack when we walk the dogs at night and I use it everytime we go for bike rides. Works good and doesnt look out of place while excersising and you can keep keys and wallet in another compartment. Blackhawk makes one that has an extra safety release so it cant be snatched off you as someone runs by.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I got a rusty tool, but it ain't metal.............yet!

Ed :shock:

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Titanium rusts too.... I think the problem with is unless you have a 100% pure chunk of a certain type of non-rusting metal (non-alloy) it will rust. I've seen Titanium dive knives rust time and time again even when sprayed with a thick coat of silicone prior to use, a good fresh-water bath after use, dryed, and recaoted with silicone again before storage. Then again, I don't know of many people using their XD's under the ocean's surface for extened periods of time. And may god rest their poor eardrums if they do.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Titanium "rust" isn't traditional rust. It's an uber-thin but uber-hard layer of (I think) titanium dioxide (Or perhaps just oxide...) that then prevents any more of it from "rusting", so you don't get the corrosive effect as it eats down layer after layer.

So, if it's actually titanium, it really shouldn't show rust like iron articles do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I carry my sub in a belly band that is basically two layers of elastic sewn together with a pocket for the pistol and another for the spare mag. I wipe it down every time I take it off and apply a fresh layer of Armadillo once a week. I have seen very slight surface rust that comes right off with some Blue Wonder and a toothbrush.

I carried it for 3 days straight last weekend outdoors in 90 degree Oklahoma heat. It has now developed rust on the side that faces my body deep enough that the Blue Wonder didn't do the trick. I guess I need to bring my range bag camping with me from now on. I am a little bummed because I thought a combat pistol should be able to stand up to that. I am looking into sending it to Canyon Creek for a new coat and an internal massage.

Anyone have a G-26 that I can put through the same circumstances?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts