Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you have probably seen this glock folding stock as well as the one for the Bul Cherokee pistol. I was wondering if there were any companies that were considering manufacturing some similar product for xds. I just got a 45acp service model and thought it would be nice to have a stock that I could fold, or remove. Is there possibly a company that makes a universal one,?

Thx

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
If I am not mistaken you will have a ton of trouble with the ATF if you do that.

Yup, that stock turns it into a SBR if im not mistaken.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just want to make sure I am getting this right, I am not allowed to put a fodling stock on my xd psitol? I live in FL, I dont see what the difference would be with or without a stock in the eyes of the law,,

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
A folding stock for my XD is just silly to me.

But that is just me.....................

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
in the usa and firearm with a barrel length less than 16" is considered a short barreled rifle when a stock, front grip are added. this includes pistols. ive seen 1911 stocks that come with a 16 inch barrel to make them legal.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Buy a rifle.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just want to make sure I am getting this right, I am not allowed to put a fodling stock on my xd psitol? I live in FL, I dont see what the difference would be with or without a stock in the eyes of the law,,
A pistol with a stock attached becomes a "short barreled rifle" for which you'd need a federal tax stamp that costs $200.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The difference would be about 10 years of your time

·
Registered
34 Posts
you may not see a difference, but the ATF would.....above posts are correct. If you add a stock to it, it becomes a short barrelled rifle. The novelty of a stock wouldn't be worth it on a hand gun IMO, the only way I would do a stock on something like that and pay the tax stamp would be if I was putting a stock on a TP-9 or MP-7

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Get just get a 14" sound suppressor.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I love that, you can have a pistol w/ a stock extender... shooting a pistol cartridge... but now it's a short-barreled rifle. When in fact it's the same pistol that is much easier to conceal BEFORE the mod.

Oh, wait, it's a Glock which is plastic and slips through the X-ray security.

Never mind. Evil Gun.

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
A pistol with a stock attached becomes a "short barreled rifle" for which you'd need a federal tax stamp that costs $200.
Exactly right....

The idea is really cool, and i sure like idea of slapping one of those on XD45 for some longer range shooting, but....as has been noted, putting a shoulder stock on to a pistol does create a Short barrel rifle, which is of course illegal (without the stamp)

Now there are a couple ways around this

1) as has been suggested, fill out the proper forms and apply to get the tax stamp.... and of course you need the forms, need 2 photos, need to get fingerprinted, and....the signature of your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer. If the CLEO won't sign, you can establish a revocable living trust which technically would own the gun, rather than you, with this route you can skip the signature, photos, fingerprints, etc....you still have to fill out the forms of course,

2).....the other option....not sure if anyone makes it, but if you can get a 16 inch barrel , putting a stock on is no problem..... then you have a full size "rifle" There are such kits for some Glocks and Steyr M series guns from Impulse Gun Barrels.

points to keep in mind, if you get a gun receiver from the factory, it can be registered either as a rifle or pistol....if you register the receiver as a rifle it can only ever be a rifle (without the tax stamp). If you take the receiver from the factory and register it as a pistol, you can add a 16+ inch barrel and a shoulder stock (IN THAT ORDER)....the gun is still registered as a pistol but in that configuration is considered a rifle by the law....you can also convert back to a pistol any time you want to.

You do not want to put the stock on before the barrel (in the eyes of the law, even that 3 mins or whatever, that the stock is attached before you put on the 16 in barrel, you have an SBR.....should the police, ATF, show up at your door in those 3 mins for whateve reason, you are screwed.....avoid the prob....put the barrel on first. Don't even buy the stock before you buy the barrel...owning the parts for an SBR even dissambled can be bad.

Similarly i you put a forward grip on to a pistol you are in violation of the law also, that is considered and "Any Other Weapon" AOW. Again you need the stamp to do this.....

so......what is the moral of the story?....if you want to put a stock on the Xd, do the paperwork for the AOW stamp...then you can do just about anything you want with it, stock, foregrips, etc....any configuration you want.

read up, lot of threads on the topic on AR15.com, and Saiga-12 forums.

and if I i got anything wrong in this post, please let me know....but i think i have it correct

later all

·
Registered
278 Posts
The only need I could see for that is if you had a full auto pistol, in which case you've already done the paperwork.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was watching a TV show on Knob Creek whereby a guy had two full auto GL 18s (I think) with the stocks on them. He had 31 round mags and emptied them in about 1.5 seconds! It was AWESOME! It was so fast it was almost in slow motion!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In case anybody is wondering I found another polymer version of the stock on ebay. This one looks like the other $200 dollar one except it has a cheek rest and is telescopic/adjustable. I am glad I posted here and found out about it being illegal. I wonder if people on ebay are aware, or are they just buying them and exposing themselves for arrest? Also I read above that a forward grip on the pistol is also illegal, Does this apply to the grip that fits on the piccatiny rail where the tactical light can be attached, I have a grip for my AR that looks like this

I understand that there isnt a huge benefit in adding one of these grips to the xd, but I was going to try it at the range just for kicks, Would this be illegal?

Below is the ebay polymer stock for glock,,

HERE

1 - 20 of 30 Posts