Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my fobus XD tactical holster in today,slipped the gun in and darn near couldnt pull the stinking thing out!!!!! I made a huge adjustment to the screw, I think as long as it holds it will be all right. (If it holds) :x

·
Registered
80 Posts
It'll get better. Once you use it a few times it'll work great. Mine was really tight from the factory too. I adjusted the retention screw out and used it a lot... I love it now. Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
yea i got mine to, and kinda upset how it hold the gun, i CANT pull the gun out without the holster comming with it... I took out the retention screw and its not ANY better :(

i was going to try to sand out the inside a bit, anyone try that yet?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Try a couple of sprays of ArmorAll or silicone lubricating spray to the inside of the holster. A second application may be necessary. It helped greatly with my XD-Gear holster that had a similar problem.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
They always say you get what you pay for, ditch the fobus and buy a Blade-Tech or along those lines you will really be suprised in the diffrence

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had several fobus holsters for different guns. I originally bought a roto for my XD right after I got it and COULD NOT get the gun out without doing some major damage to my pants... I didn't have the same issue with the standard paddle that I have now. That one works great.

I haven't tried the new style with the screw adjustment, but I do have a similar style fobus for my 1911. That works great as well.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You know, I bought the xd-gear holster with the rails, basically the same as a fobus. I didn't care about the rails as I have no accessories, but I wanted the adjustability. I have the same damn problem. Even if I completely remove the tension screw, I'm liable to rip off my own pants when I draw. Ajames suggested I boil it for about 15 min. and then put the XD in it to reshape it, but I haven't got around to it. I'm seriously thinking about just giving it away in a karma and coughing up the $ for a nice leather holster....

Edit to add: Although, I have a fobus for my keltec p3at and it works beautifully. Hmm.

·
Registered
347 Posts
In only use leather, but I do have an Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle (for the XD), as well as a Fobus paddle (for the Ruger P95), for "grab it and go". Not too many draw issues, but definitely not for concealability. :) The UM holster at least feels sturdy, while the fobus feels, well, flimsy. But for carry, its Don Hume or Bianchi for me (until I can shell out the money for a Tucker) :)

Matthew

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I use Uncle Mike's and it is much better then any POS from Fobus. Uncle Mike's has tension adjustment screw and is molded from at least the same quality plastic as Fobus and costs me aboutu 8 dollars less, localy. Also I have not seen Uncle Mike's get torn to shreds like a Fobus in another post here. I may upgrade to a BladeTech though. BladeTech rules.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have a Fobus and the XD Gear holster, no problems after I learned how to draw with these holsters. It seems, in my experience, that you should adjust your draw "stroke" with these type of holsters. I know, sounds stupid. I thought so too until a friend showed me how after watching me pull the whole holster out while attempting to draw. It takes a little practice, but it can be done :)(and usually, you don't have to do anything to the holster).

·
Registered
80 Posts
For <$20 I don't see what all you guys are complaining so much about. The holster isn't made to carry concealed. I bought it to wear to the range... it sticks out away from my body for easy access. It holds the gun tight so I don't have to worry about bending down to pick stuff up etc. And I don't have any draw issues at all. Mine has the belt loops... which isn't legal for IDPA because of the extra piece and the gap it makes away from my body... so I'm not drawing for speed anyway.

Overall it's a great holster. It takes some wearing in... but after a day or 2 at the range mine worked beautifully. It's basically bulletproof... and so light and comfortable I don't even know it's there.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Agrees. I have a Fobus fixed paddle, and the first 100 pulls or so, were pretty tight. There is no adjustment screw on mine.. but after many draws from the holster, it loosened up nicely. I kind of like it now, although I was frustrated with it in the beginning.

I would suggest standing in front of a mirror and practice drawing (make sure it's unloaded!) It's a pretty fun way to pass some time.. I like to look into the mirror, draw the gun, and say something that Cllint Eastwood might say... "make my day.. Punk!" etc...

Raymond

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Captain Ray said:
Agrees. I have a Fobus fixed paddle, and the first 100 pulls or so, were pretty tight. There is no adjustment screw on mine.. but after many draws from the holster, it loosened up nicely. I kind of like it now, although I was frustrated with it in the beginning.

I would suggest standing in front of a mirror and practice drawing (make sure it's unloaded!) It's a pretty fun way to pass some time.. I like to look into the mirror, draw the gun, and say something that Cllint Eastwood might say... "make my day.. Punk!" etc...

Raymond
Who hasn't done that!
I prefer Uncle Mike Paddle Holsters...I use one for my SigArms P220....and I carry my XD in a Cheap IWB holster!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have the Fobus for my XD40 and my Glocks.

The holster is designed to be tight, as there is nothing but the holster itself retaining the handgun. This is a benefit as well as a drawback, until you get use to presenting the handgun.

Practice, practice, practice.

We see the same with a change in holsters to our officers, or to new officers joining us..particularly with those who have NOT practiced drawing.

I have seen holsters up to officer's armpits and them struggling and struggling. This is comical, but it drives home a point..my life, or theirs, could be dependent upon them drawing quickly and efficiently to stop or prevent a death.

Practice, practice, practice.

Anything that is new, will be different until you "work it" in by practicing.

Practice, practice, practice. Please..with an unloaded handgun.

I enjoy the Fobus holsters, some don't. I realize that they are tight, as that is how the handgun is retained within the holster. That prevents them from falling out, or from being snatched against my will.

Give it some time. Even after repeated use, if you find that this holster does not work for you, change for your overall benefit. But make a change when it is necessary, not because it is 'hard to draw', when it is suppose to be as such. (not meant to be a chide against the original poster)

·
Registered
181 Posts
The problem I had with the Fobus Roto holster wasn't the tight hold it had on the gun, it was that the shape of the holster made it impossible to draw the XD with a high hold on the grip. I could not place my middle finger up tight to the trigger guard while the gun was still in the holster nor press the web between my thumb and forefinger up high in the curve at the top of the grip. The gun had to be adjusted in my hand after drawing it. The accuracy of my shots after drawing along with speed was dramatically improved when I switched from the Fobus to a Cen-Dex holster which allowed for a better purchase of the grip when drawing.

If you are looking for a cheap holster to just hold your gun then the Fobus is OK.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This may be a little o/t, but i picked up one of those XD Gear holsters last week and was slightly disappointed. I have a Bladetech UCH and one of their thigh holsters for my XD Service and the difference between the bladetech and the XDGear was incredible. The XD gear no matter how loose the retention screw was would not let my xd come free. On top of that, it looks like the XDGear holster is wearing off my finish on the slide around the muzzel as well as on the take-down lever. It looks like the take-down lever was rubbing against the nut which holds the holster to the paddle. I took my trusty dremmel and shaved down the nut quite a bit and it didn't seem to help at all. I think i'm going to have to chalk this XDGear holster up as one of those 'i could have put that 30$ to a blade-tech DOH' :(

has anyone else run into 'excessive' wear when using their XDGear holster ?

oh, and btw, yes, blade-tech does rock. i just wish they would make holsters for the XD/X200 combo in addition to the XD/M3.

-Chris

·
Registered
242 Posts
Silicone Spray Lube will solve your problems. Use the old fashioned non-eco-freindly version, spray it down thoroughly, then wipe it dry with a paper towell. It will hold your gun securely but you will be able to draw from it with a reasonable pull.

You'll love your Fobus again, I promise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts