Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The kind folks at Fobus agreed to allow me to test the XD40 / QD Laser sight system with their GLT17. (They are also sending me a GLT19 when they are in stock.) Here are some images for you:

The fit is better than I had hoped for, however it is tight. This is because the trigger guard area, from the top of the gun slide to the bottom of the guard has more height than the Glock. (See the image below.) The plastic that surrounds the trigger area is probably forced out a bit more than on a Glock.

To fasten the strap, it is necessary to slide the pistol up an inch, fasten the strap, then push it into the holster. After about a week, the strap should be stretched enough to allow it to snap without sliding the pistol up.

The draw from the holster takes some getting used to. It is a backward then up and over motion. This is the main problem I will have for using this holster in CCW mode.

The break from the holster is very stiff. But the Fobus paddle has the most holding power that I've ever felt with any paddle. It is very difficult to pull the holster off my belt/pants even if I intend to. So the holster will never come out with the pistol when I am drawing.

Unlike my Comp-Tac holster with an inner sweat guard, this holster allows me to use the thumb rest from SmartLock.com. (Just installed this last night, and I think I'm going to like it very much.) To make the fit perfect, I will probably take just a little off the left side thumb rest - as it touches the holster guard slightly.

I'm going to wear this holster every day as a test. So far - it's going to work for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AresXD40 said:
That is a nice looking holster. 8)

Thanks. I'm wearing it all the time now.

The last few days, I have been retraining in my draw skill. As I mention above, this holster requires a different draw motion (compared to my other holster) in order to clear the pistol from the holster. It took me a few days, but last night the draw became more automatic.

The strap is very easy to break with my trigger finger quickly. The plastic around the snap makes it very easy and even comfortable to open the snap while drawing.

Fobus, I believe, is still going to send me the other model (GLT19) in order to check for fit. They think it may fit even better than this one. I will let you know about the fit when I receive that one for testing.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
What's your opinion about the QD laser by laserlyte sights? I want one for my XD 9 subbie, but unfortunately, they don't make one that small yet.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
retired said:
What's your opinion about the QD laser by laserlyte sights? I want one for my XD 9 subbie, but unfortunately, they don't make one that small yet.
This is my first Laser sight, so I'm a little hesitant to give analysis based upon comparison to others. However, I believe that this is a quality piece of equipment - especially for the $110 it cost.

You can check out more at this thread:
http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18342&highlight=

I put a video link there to show how the locking pins work. It is 20 MB, so it takes a while to download.

About the subbie - With a little effort changing their machine center program, they could easily create this device in a shortened version for the SC. Maybe LaserLyte just needs to hear from the SC group of owners.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
RockinAR said:
Is that an aftermarket thumb safety????? How embarrasing. Looks like training wheels for your gun.
I was actually thinking about buying one just for that purpose: to retrain my hand for a thumbs-high grib.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Tengu said:
RockinAR said:
Is that an aftermarket thumb safety????? How embarrasing. Looks like training wheels for your gun.
I was actually thinking about buying one just for that purpose: to retrain my hand for a thumbs-high grib.
That's fine. But if this guy has any more safetys on there it's going to become a $400 XD shaped paper weight.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RockinAR said:
What?! - You don't like my training wheels?! :D

They are a thumb rest for those who are used to the 1911 style safety. The idea is to better control for recoil.

I have removed them - because I don't like the way they feel. They were on my pistol for about two weeks before they came off. I found that they get in my way more than they help.

Whether or not any of these gadgets looks good is secondary to me. It is fun experimenting with all of these new gadgets that attach to the XD40.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
RockinAR said:
The Tengu said:
RockinAR said:
That's fine. But if this guy has any more safetys on there it's going to become a $400 XD shaped paper weight.
It's not a safety, it's training wheels.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got the mickey mouse ears on mine and I like the way they feel...they look weird but they do what they are supposed to.

They do get in the way of the slide release, it's hard to reach it properly.
A few years ago at the local police range, the instructor taught me to not use the slide release and just pull the slide back and let go to chamber the round from a new mag..and I've gotten use to it and it's fast (to me) so it being in the way doesn't matter to me. If your use to using it...then it might get realllllllly annoying.

Sorry for the long post
Tat

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Last Rites said:
I got the mickey mouse ears on mine and I like the way they feel...they look weird but they do what they are supposed to.

They do get in the way of the slide release, it's hard to reach it properly.
In addition to the slide release being harder to use -

1 - I had to grid the right side down completely so it wouldn't hit my index finger on recoil. That helped a lot.
2 - The grip safety doesn't go quite as far down as without the thumb rest. At times, I felt as if it were right at the edge of not allowing the striker to move forward.
3 - The grip safety (at least on mine) was very stiff after installation of the thumb rest.
4 - The extra beaver tail was uncomfortable in the web of my hand.

I just didn't feel that the performance of the gun was really enhanced enough to justify the discomfort, so I no longer use it. As I said above though - it was fun to try.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Any chance a Tactical with an Insight (or streamlight) M6 would fit in that holster?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mavisky said:
Any chance a Tactical with an Insight (or streamlight) M6 would fit in that holster?
I don't have an M6 - maybe it will clear the holster, because this holster is designed to be open for a variety of attachments.

And I think the tactical may fit better. My trigger guard is too far down in the holster. A tactical is an extra inch in the barrel, which would help the fit some. That's only a guess though.

Main concern: Will your tact. trigger be covered in this holster? If you examine my picture, and move the gun up an inch, then it appears that it may cover it fine.

·
Registered
146 Posts
mcone said:
mavisky said:
I don't have an M6 - maybe it will clear the holster, because this holster is designed to be open for a variety of attachments.

And I think the tactical may fit better. My trigger guard is too far down in the holster. A tactical is an extra inch in the barrel, which would help the fit some. That's only a guess though.

Main concern: Will your tact. trigger be covered in this holster? If you examine my picture, and move the gun up an inch, then it appears that it may cover it fine.
I'm just worried about the indent on the slide matching up correctly. Judging by the size of your laser apparatus I'd assume that the M6 should fit no problem upon a second look, the real concern is the barrel length and that slide indent.

·
Registered
375 Posts
RockinAR said:
The Tengu said:
RockinAR said:
as long as we're being critical, it's "safeties".

dn
cincinnati, oh
xd40

1 - 18 of 18 Posts