Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
am about to go buy a Fobus holster and just wanted to get the opinions from this boards Fobus experts (yes overkill i consider you a fobus expert). just wanted to know a few basic things;

1. is it rough on your guns finish, wear any of it away?
2. roto or fixed?
3. paddle or belt?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I have a Fobus fixed paddle holster. I like it just fine.

It took some time to break it in. It was kind of difficult getting the pistol out of the holster at first. I considered loosening the tension screws at first, but was advised (rightly I think) not too.. After pulling it from the holster and re-holstering it many times, the holster works just fine.

Some good points:

It is comfortable, re-holstering is a breeze, It's very light-weight, fits my "clip draw" with no problem, in-expensive, durable, and it holds the pistol very securely. Also, it seems that drawing the weapon can only be done straight up and out... so it would be pretty difficult for a bad guy to take the gun away from me.

Some negative points:

It is not easily concealed. Even with a long shirt, and some extra padding the holster prints like nobodies business! It does cause some wear on the finish.. the kydex is not very forgiving. The base of the paddle is wide, so you pretty much have to take your belt on/off to put on or take off the holster if you carry at 3:00 o'clock. It doesn't wear well for me at the 4 or 5 o'clock position, but it is easier to remove the holster without removing your belt.

well.. that's my .02

I bought the holster because it was inexpensive, and I needed a holster. Primarily, I use it when I am plinking. I don't imagine that I would use this holster for anything other than range use, or outdoor activities. (ie.. camping, hiking, etc...) I bought the "clip draw" for deep concealment.. but eventually I will buy an IWB holster for that purpose... but I will have to wait until after I pay all my credit card bills that I have racked up buying presents for the Kiddo'.

Hope that is helpful

Raymond

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Left handed XD people don't exist is FOBUS world. Therefore, they must be considered inferior, made by hamsters and smell like elderberries.

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
Captain Ray said:
I bought the holster because it was inexpensive, and I needed a holster. Primarily, I use it when I am plinking. I don't imagine that I would use this holster for anything other than range use, or outdoor activities. (ie.. camping, hiking, etc...)
Raymond
I AGREE with Captain Ray here :shock: !

I wouldn't buy a Fobus holster for CCW, however for plinking, range use and all the stuff mentioned above it would be a good holster.

In my opinion, the retention is something you really have to get used to and a similarly priced Uncle Mike's Holster, for example, would be much more "forgiving" in a tense circumstance.

I always felt like I was getting undressed when I tried to unholster from a Fobus.

bd

·
Registered
9,951 Posts
The roto paddle only make the rig as a whole stick out even further. the draw can now be adjusted somewhat with the gen 2 fobus.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I've got a Fobus paddle holster as well
The last post is correct...I like mine as well, all except mine left wear marks as well
You could always save your money, and just get a nice leather one for a few bucks more.
www.pistol-gear.com has some very nice ones

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the reason i was thinking of going with fobus is for open carry, a BG cant pull out ur pistol on you, and doesnt leather trap in moisture and lead to rust more than any other kind of material?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
not necessarily
humidity etc. plays an factor......proper lubrication and protection of the metal parts is a major for any weapon or any holster for that matter

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My finish is fine... But my XD is ArmoryKoted... I did have some holster wear (It was so pretty...) before I got it refinished.

Definitely not a great concealed carry rig, except maybe right now in the winter... I went with the roto-rig. Definitely paddle over belt loop.

·
Registered
347 Posts
How does the Fobus do in cold weather? Does it get brittle at all? Or harder to draw from?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
No problems here yet... and I was up at the range in 20 degree weather the other day.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well, I'm a big fan of Fobus. Great holster for a cheap price. We've got Fobii for the XD 40, for one daughter's Walther, for the other daughters Sig, and for my Sig.

They seem just fine even in the bitter cold.

Agreed that they are not the best for concealed carry, although in the winter it is fine. I find the paddle very comfortable for all day carry. I've open carried all day with mine, and it is also very good while driving.

But open carry is not something I like to do when in close proximity to lots of people because of retention issues. The Fobus does not really provide any protection at all against snatching by a thief/bad guy.

The insides of all our kydex holsters have been sprayed liberally with old fashioned non-eco friendly silicone spray (which is superior to the new green silicone sprays). Wait for a few minutes and then wipe them as dry as possible with a paper towel. They hold the pistol just fine, but the draw is much smoother. If you don't have silicone spray you could also use armor-all.

If you want a good ccw rig, I highly recommend the comp-tac CTAC. It is by far the most comfortable IWB holster out there. Standard clips work great. C clips aren't as secure as regular clips but a lot stealthier. Haven't tried V clips but have heard rave reviews from folks who have them. http://www.comp-tac.com/

1 - 14 of 14 Posts