Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody own a FN Herstal .308 Patrol Bolt Rifle. I held one at the gun shop today and fell in love. Any other ideas for a sniper style rifle are welcome.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The FN is an excellent entry-level option for a precision target rifle (let's watch the "sniper" B.S. please). ;)

I have fired the FN PBR as well as several different variations of the SPR (Special Purpose Rifles) and all were outstanding right out of the box. The advantage to the PBR obviously is the shorter, 20" barrel which won't give you quite the velocity of the SPR's longer barrels, but will give you much less weight and more manueverability. Also, the nice thing about the FN's is that they are really pre-64 Winchester actions, so mounts and accessories are plentiful for the rifle. They also have the massive pre-64 claw extractor which is something Remington can't compete with.

That being said, if you are looking for an alternative to match up with the FN PBR, don't overlook the Remington 700 LTR (light tactical rifle) which is another 20" rifle with a whole lot of potential. The only reasons I mention the LTR are that: 1) it has a MUCH better stock than the FN (PBR has a Hogue aluminum pillar stock...LTR has a nice HS Precision kevlar reinforced fiberglass stock with similar pillar bedding); and 2) the LTR has a much better trigger than the PBR.

The cost on both rifles is about the same (around $800 or so). Both have excellent accuracy potential with match ammo and a good shooter (and a little trigger work). Both have plenty of aftermarker parts/accessories available. It is really just an issue of personal choice.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point Long range precision rifle is what I am looking for to hunt snipe hence sniper rifle.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
question about the FN bolt guns.

it appears you cant get one standard with iron sights?

why is this?

call me paranoid i just play rough i guess, and like the indestructable nature of irons, in areas i hunt, and in the city i am not gonna be hitting stuff at 650 yards thats for sure. Just seems odd to me i can get irons.

Dont get me wrong i would scope it also, but i am paranoid when i need it most the optics would some how fail me, i aint a lucky boy.

thanks for the tips on that remmy 700 i am gonna have to check out that unit and see how much nicer the stock is ... the houge units on the FNH pbrs seemed pretty nice to me, puts a savage junky stock to shame.

I plan on getting a nice bolt gun as soon as the ban comes, untill them i am buying up e-veil stuff.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
My gripe with the Hogue stock is the amount of flex in it versus the HS Precision stock which is just rock solid. The last thing that I (or anyone else should) want in a precision rifle stock is a lot of flex. Under recoil, the stock just "gives" too much. You know that you aren't wringing all the accuracy out of it that you can because of the stock. And yes...even the Hogue on the FN puts the savage stock in the gutter.

Now, that said, some of the FN rifles like the SPR have McMillan stocks right out of the factory. These rifles are much more money, but are mostly worth it for what amounts to a $400 (or more) dollar stock.

As for getting a precision bolt gun with irons...they can be had, but they will cost you. Remington offers the M24 SWS...but you are looking at a cost of around $3500-4000 for one (but that includes the scope, mounts, rings, case, iron sights, etc., etc.). The much cheaper option is to have your rifle (whether it be an SPR, PBR or LTR) drilled and tapped for the back-up irons in case of a scope failure. They drill and tap (2 holes) the rear, left of the receiver, and the same with the barrel at TDC about 1/2" and 1" back from the end of the barrel). When you need them, remove the screws and screw in the sights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts