Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a FS2000. I personally love the way the gun looks and it feels comfortable. I like the idea of having a 17" barrel but in that compact form.

I've been to atleast 4 gunshops in my town and every one of them has tried to talk me out of it saying it's not a good weapon for a 1st AR.

They don't really give me a reason as to why other than it's not conventional and not customizable. They keep telling me i could build an AR for half the price and have it totallly customized which i see their point but with money aside that's not really a good answer.

Does anyone have any other reasons why a FS2000 wouldn't be a good 1st time AR? Saftey concerns, etc..?

Even if i built my own AR the only thing I'd probably customize on it is a good Holographic sight or ACOG and possibly a grip. Both those items are easily placed on the FS2000.

I would probably only use this as a weekend toy at the range. I have my XD for home defense but I'm guessing the FS2000 is small enough to walk around comfortably around my home as well.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
I say that if you are happy with it and the way it feels in your hands go for it. Saying not to buy something based on the the grounds that you have fewer customization options or whatever is lame considering that if you are happy with the features of the gun as is you don't need to customize it. That's like saying don't buy that shiney new sports car because you can't customize it, get this POS instead and then you canchange it however you want. What if you don't want to change it because you already like it exactly how it is?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Nahh, you can't customize them at all:

Although it is true that the AR15 market has a lot more aftermarket support, FN has a lifetime warranty on their products, and there isn't too much that needs to be customized on the FS2000 to begin with. There are products out there that will improve the design, though.

The trigger is a bit heavy and gritty: there is a product called Neu-trigger which smooths out the trigger and reduces it to about 6 pounds.

Some individuals have had the plastic charging handle break (I haven't.) There is a forum member named judochop that makes a metal charging handle that you can HK slap 'till the cows come home.

Beyond that, you can put all the same kinds of sh!t AR guys put on the top rail and tri-rail.

fnforum.net has a wealth of knowledge on the FS2000 and other FN products.

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
Get it. It'll be way handier in a home defense role as it's alot shorter.

I dont have an FS2000, but my P90 IS my primary HD gun and is always set up to "go" should that crashing glass noise at 2AM ever come.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I have an fs2000 and it is accurate, but it's a $2000 firearm ($2100+ msrp). If you don't have an ar I'd recommend getting an ar first. My daniel defense m4v1 cost me $1080 and it's top of the line.

I already had a few ar's when I bought my fs2000, I paid a little over $1500 for it. If you look around I think you can find them new for that but you have to hunt really hard. I got mine from West Coast Armory.

With an ar you can buy some spare parts and pretty much fix anything yourself. FN Herstal is very stingy with their parts and the fs2000 has a whole different manual of arms, a "switch" that some people have had problems with, and such. Most times FN will want you to send in the rifle and while it's gone you won't have one.

So while it's a fine weapon, and I haven't had any trouble with mine, I'd recommend an ar first.
I haven't run my fs2000 real hard so I don't know what happens if you do.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
"not a good weapon for a 1st AR"?????

it is not an AR. it uses the same ammo and mags, but it is not an AR. That would be like calling my Keltec SU-16 an AR.

If you like it enough to shell out what is costs, get it.

My guess is the salesmen think if they sell you an AR, they can keep shoving all the Mall Ninja Rated accessories down your throat, and get them to install them all for you. Or, they are like every other "expert", in that nothing could be half as good as what they chose.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'd love to have one. I think it all depends on your role for the weapon. If you are looking for zombie hit the fan gotta get spare parts for the next 100 years only rifle owned gun then id recommend an AR or AK as parts are common. If you intend on owning an ar anyway then heck yeah get that gun and show us pics!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts