Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a little about these guns and they souds like it would be a decent gun for a ccw and for fun. Does anyone have any experience with it. Also is there any comparable gun that would be a good alternative. Seems as tho the bullet may rely more on speed than power to do the job so would a .22 mag or a .17HMR be just as good of a round

·
Premium Member
12,086 Posts
I've fired it. It's a bit on the big side for CCW; fairly comfortable in the hand and to shoot; recoil was very mild for such a high-velocity pistol round. Ammo's on the pricey side, so be prepared to spend some bucks for frequent range trips. To me: an interesting weapon with some nice ballistics, but due to ammo price and size more of a novelty than anything else.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Watch out, I think the ammo is practically single-sourced and the shells only reload 3-4 times. My friend has one and says it's just too expensive to shoot.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info...considering it wouldnt be good for ccw and would be kind of expensive for fun then maybe someone could point me in another direction as far as an interesting gun that would be reasonable for ccw and fun

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I think they are great guns. You will be spending around $20/50 for ammo, though. I don't see a problem with that for CCW reason, I know I spend more then that on ammo for my daily carry...probably not the best gun for competition.

They're fun as hell to shoot, and VERY accurate, even out to 100 yards. My dad was destroying paper plates with at 100 yards and irons.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any other comparable calibers that can be had in a hangun base that would be good for a ccw and a little bit of fun?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
They are more than neat but I just can't get around the price of the pistol itself. And then the ammo costs ontop of that. If the pistol was about HALF as expensive as it is I could probably deal with the ammo costs.

·
Premium Member
1,763 Posts
Yea but it runs around a grand? FN makes some very high quality stuff but I dunno..$800 (if you get a bargain) - $1,000 for a polymer-ish handgun is a lil steep. Maybe i'm just too frugal for the finer things in life :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
How about a 10mm? Dan Wesson makes a beautiful 10mm that is in the price range of the pistol you were looking at.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
How about a 10mm? Dan Wesson makes a beautiful 10mm that is in the price range of the pistol you were looking at.
10mm would be good if you're still looking for some long range pwnage. Recoil is much worse then then 5.7, and ammo is more expensive, but it's a MUCH better carry piece, IMO.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I wouldn't carry that thing for protection. The round doesn't have a lot of data for one-shot stops, and do you REALLY want to be explaining to the jury why you shot someone with an exotic gun designed to defeat body armor? The prosecuter would likely paint you
as a crazy gun nut and claim you had intent to murder even if everything else pointed to self-defense...

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wouldn't want to defend it in court either in a self defense shooting setting. However there is lots to like about it; accurate, low recoil, 20 round clip, low overall weight (when loaded), great penatration through a wide variety of stuff that most other handguns couldn't handle.

If the SHTF I would take it over most handguns.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
..................back to the 5 7 :rolleyes: I have one and is fun to shoot, especially when youre the only one at the rifle side of the range shooting it :D Ammo is exclusive and somewhat expensive ($25 - $wtf range) I got mine when is was still cheap ($749 new) They can be had for $875-$1100 <--are you kidding me?!? nowadays.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 5.7 ammo is cheaper than 10mm, WAY less recoil, less noise. The pistol is really cool, well made, and totally worth it IMO. Using it for self defense, probably not a great idea. It's basically like shooting something with a 22 magnum. 40 grain bullet at 2000-ish FPS. I'd bet some of the folks who said $1100 was too much money would drop that same $1100 on a 1911, and everybody's got a 1911........you'll rarely see another 5.7 at the range:mrgreen:

I really would like that round in a bolt gun. great for rabbits, short range coyotes, etc....

--John

1 - 20 of 31 Posts