Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I have a PS90 which fires the same round, i have used the 5.7 pistol many times. It is a super accurate i mean out to 100 yards with little recoil. Has a decent trigger as well. Very fun gun. Now i think the 5.7 is a decent round alot of people say it sucks but i think the wacko that shot up the army base proved that idea wrong. Secret service used this round i believe as well. I know they have p90s.

But great accurate gun to expensive though.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I want so badly to love this round and the firearms that shoot it but I can't. FN makes some serious stuff and I have no reservations about what they make, their guns are quality. My beef lies with the neutered round they shoot. I can't quote the story line by line but I know they stopped importing the hot rounds after some govt hoopla (I think it had to do with the handgun firing a rifle round if my memory serves me correctly). Now all you can get in the states is the watered down rounds unless you was to pay out the ace for "new old stock" hot rounds that were here before FN stopped the importation of them. If you could the hotter rounds, I'd be on a PS90 like flies on poop. As long as you can't though, it's a no-go for me.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I want so badly to love this round and the firearms that shoot it but I can't. FN makes some serious stuff and I have no reservations about what they make, their guns are quality. My beef lies with the neutered round they shoot. I can't quote the story line by line but I know they stopped importing the hot rounds after some govt hoopla (I think it had to do with the handgun firing a rifle round if my memory serves me correctly). Now all you can get in the states is the watered down rounds unless you was to pay out the ace for "new old stock" hot rounds that were here before FN stopped the importation of them. If you could the hotter rounds, I'd be on a PS90 like flies on poop. As long as you can't though, it's a no-go for me.
also the hot rounds you are talking about are ss190 which is AP ammo. I have a couple boxs they are not illegal to own but to use. Either way Elite ammo performs much better than SS190. That is good for kevlar but there is better defense ammo.

·
Registered
839 Posts
also the hot rounds you are talking about are ss190 which is AP ammo. I have a couple boxs they are not illegal to own but to use. Either way Elite ammo performs much better than SS190. That is good for kevlar but there is better defense ammo.
That's the stuff I was talking about...I didn't remember exactly so i didn't want to rattle off #'s without knowing for sure. Do you have to send in your SS190 brass to Elite ammo? There's one maker out there that requires the stronger brass if you want the AP stuff.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Yep, I wants one!

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
I havent ordered from them in a while, it used to be you can send your brass or use their own unfired. Elite is good stuff though. Truth is most 5.7ammo will go right through a level II vest without issue ive done it. Level three should stop it but i think elite has some that will defeat it.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
I havent ordered from them in a while, it used to be you can send your brass or use their own unfired. Elite is good stuff though. Truth is most 5.7ammo will go right through a level II vest without issue ive done it. Level three should stop it but i think elite has some that will defeat it.

From the PS90.. SS197SR will not penetrate a level II vest from the FSN, at least the Level II vest I tested. I also couldn't get SS192 or 195 to either, but other tests have. I couldn't get EA's ProtecTOR to either, but many have in other tests. Maybe the level II, I had was a tad more stout :)

Brass Fetchers has done ballistic testing on 5.7x28mm, and can read their results on their page.

Elite no longer does 1x fired brass because it was too hard to get primers. They typically pull down SS197SR and use their own bullets and primers. The stuff they have, is mountains better than even SS190..

I love my FSN. No failure/malfunctions yet. I think I'll be taking it to my first class here in June..

Here's one of EA's fastest rounds in their trident line. 2500+ FPS. through windshield:

Without:

Here was my SS197SR level II vest :

Here was EA's S5, which was 32gr, versus the same vest but with a Trauma plate installed. The 55gr FMJ penetrators did nothing to the plate, but the S5 went through it..

OP check out www.fivesevenforum.com

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I want one of these SOOO bad, but their expensive.
The price is the only thing holding me back from getting one. I've shot one before and really liked it. Now that the ammo is coming down in price a PS90 is looking more like a future option in my safe but the pistol has to get under $900 for me to snatch one up.

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
From the PS90.. SS197SR will not penetrate a level II vest from the FSN, at least the Level II vest I tested. I also couldn't get SS192 or 195 to either, but other tests have. I couldn't get EA's ProtecTOR to either, but many have in other tests. Maybe the level II, I had was a tad more stout :)

Brass Fetchers has done ballistic testing on 5.7x28mm, and can read their results on their page.

Elite no longer does 1x fired brass because it was too hard to get primers. They typically pull down SS197SR and use their own bullets and primers. The stuff they have, is mountains better than even SS190..

I love my FSN. No failure/malfunctions yet. I think I'll be taking it to my first class here in June..

YouTube - ‪FNH FiveSeveN Quick Clips‬‏

Here's one of EA's fastest rounds in their trident line. 2500+ FPS. through windshield:

YouTube - ‪Elite Ammunition T6 (28gr PFP), Vs Windshield and Clay, FiveSeveN‬‏

Without:

YouTube - ‪Elite Ammunition T6 (28gr PFP), Vs Clay, FiveSeveN‬‏

Here was my SS197SR level II vest :

YouTube - ‪5.7x28mm SS197SR VS. Level II Body Armor @ 5 yards from FiveSeveN‬‏

Here was EA's S5, which was 32gr, versus the same vest but with a Trauma plate installed. The 55gr FMJ penetrators did nothing to the plate, but the S5 went through it..

YouTube - ‪Elite Ammunition's 55gr PenetraTOR, and 32gr PFP S5 Vs Level II w/Trauma Plate from FiveSeveN‬‏

OP check out www.fivesevenforum.com
This is actually surprising i was there when the vest was breached. I think it was a 197 round it was a while ago. It was an older vest though either yours was overbuilt or they have expiration dates for a reason.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The price is the only thing holding me back from getting one. I've shot one before and really liked it. Now that the ammo is coming down in price a PS90 is looking more like a future option in my safe but the pistol has to get under $900 for me to snatch one up.

I could basically build my new AR for the price of that pistol...

·
Registered
5,916 Posts
A PS90 with a sure fire mounted to it is my current HD gun

Short and sweet, easy to move in a house with

Enough power to drop a bad guy fast (I'm not thinking bad guy is bustin in with a 3A vest) especially with a couple three rounds

Not soo much power that I'm worried too much about over penetration into someone else's house

I've been kicking around loading some of my own for it and seeing how close I can get to some of the EA stuff

Itching to shoot a coyote with it.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
This is actually surprising i was there when the vest was breached. I think it was a 197 round it was a while ago. It was an older vest though either yours was overbuilt or they have expiration dates for a reason.

The one I had was only worn a dozen times or so, and then was stored because he got a new one. Brass Fetchers was able to get ss195LF to go through level II from the FSN.

I've been kicking around loading some of my own for it and seeing how close I can get to some of the EA stuff.
There's enough document info for coming close on some of their rounds. Their S4 on the other hand, I don't think anyone has been close..

·
Registered
744 Posts
I cooked up some barnes solids awhile back for mine, mimmicking the old EA devastator round. Seriously just a long range drill press.

I've had the gun for around 3 years now and I've put the cost of the pistol in ammunition through it without anything even HINTING towards a failure. Never even had an inconsistency in accuracy or the trigger.

It's hands down the most reliable handgun out there, I'd have to say. Just don't double charge when loading for it and you should never have anything to worry about.

The tall tales on the internet about them firing out of battery is due to lack of understanding of how the gun's action works, as it's very different from most guns you're most likely used to.

The actual power of the 5.7 round still concerns me in the event I'd ever have to use it. I trust a 9mm or a 45 equally, but I'm leary of the 5.7's ability. I've done some tests and seen what it's capable of in ideal situations with realistically available ammo. I wouldn't trust my life to the SS197 if the other person was armed, end of story. It's an absolutely ideal backup gun to a rifle if you're looking for something like that. Ultra ultra light with absurd capacity, range, and accuracy. If you trust that the bullet can actually reach the vitals of someone of greater mass, then by all means go ahead. IME, the bullet fragments at entry, and stops within 7". Close enough for some, but just a nasty surface wound for most. Yes it's very capable of killing someone, but I'm only wanting to keep from getting killed.

If the SS195 was offered with a traditional primer, and a little hotter, the gun would be at the top of the pack in every aspect. Shelf life of the SS195 makes it impossible to stock, and forces you to burn up your costly stockpile every few years. I also dislike carrying that round due to concerns about its primer. Yes, if you buy a box fresh and you plan on expending it within a year or 2 it's a non issue.

Some major company needs to start offering ammo for it, preferably with a solid copper rapid expanding bullet specifically made for the round. Elite ammunition has never been in stock when I've decided to try it.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
The actual power of the 5.7 round still concerns me in the event I'd ever have to use it. I trust a 9mm or a 45 equally,
Brass Fetechers recently tested EA's S4M (moly coated S4) and their new 50gr ProtecTOR II. They stated that the S4M round was on par if not slightly superior to .45 ACP JHPs.

If the SS195 was offered with a traditional primer, and a little hotter, the gun would be at the top of the pack in every aspect. Shelf life of the SS195 makes it impossible to stock, and forces you to burn up your costly stockpile every few years. I also dislike carrying that round due to concerns about its primer. Yes, if you buy a box fresh and you plan on expending it within a year or 2 it's a non issue.
That's what SS192 is for.. Then again has anyone tested actual failure rates for lead free primers?

Some major company needs to start offering ammo for it, preferably with a solid copper rapid expanding bullet specifically made for the round. Elite ammunition has never been in stock when I've decided to try it.
EA now offers a brass/copper round that has three prefragmented sections. Velocity of the current T6 is 2500+ FPS. They are getting more and more in stock all the time. Now that they got rid of the one who was stealing from them, they can actually use capital to purchase more supplies.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Of course the super raptor is an exception, it's in the middle ground between a pistol and a rifle.

2600fps with anything from a handgun is a seriously powerful round that not much else will be able to touch. Have you seen how you're required to obtain S4 though? Have 500 spare brass and $400 laying around?

If I ever get a bullet puller and a case holder, I'll pull down SS195 and reprime them with some more trust worthy primers. IMO that's really good enough for about everything, SS192 should replace the SS195LF. The SS195LF servers no purpose other than hunting in a lead free area, which is an extremely small niche. The SS198 would be especially nice to see on store shelves as opposed to SS197. SS197, once again serves little to no purpose except for hunting very small game which the SS195 is more than capable of handling.

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Of course the super raptor is an exception, it's in the middle ground between a pistol and a rifle.

2600fps with anything from a handgun is a seriously powerful round that not much else will be able to touch. Have you seen how you're required to obtain S4 though? Have 500 spare brass and $400 laying around?

If I ever get a bullet puller and a case holder, I'll pull down SS195 and reprime them with some more trust worthy primers. IMO that's really good enough for about everything, SS192 should replace the SS195LF. The SS195LF servers no purpose other than hunting in a lead free area, which is an extremely small niche. The SS198 would be especially nice to see on store shelves as opposed to SS197. SS197, once again serves little to no purpose except for hunting very small game which the SS195 is more than capable of handling.
yeah the SS198LF is faster, but still LF :) Not sure if you've checked EA's site lately, but yes they'll do conversions, but they also offered limited runs of S4. Actually I don't think they do S4, they have the S4M now that's moly coated for slightly more velocity (lower pressure, and so you can stuff more powder in the case :))

1 - 20 of 20 Posts