Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have/had a flush hammer on a 1911? I searched and there was not that many pics of the back at a good angle. Anyway, any pros/cons about it? I like the look, I'll have to try it out.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Unless it's a DA/SA 1911 you would not want a flush hammer.

Single action guns need to be cocked before the first shot. The only possible way to make a flush hammer work with a single action gun would be to carry with the chamber empty and do an Israeli Draw.

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
Para makes a 1911 with a flush hammer....but as mentioned, it's DA. They claim it is a super light, super smooth double but I have no experience with it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only if theres one in the pipe right? So I would have to rack the slide before a shot? It wouldn't be for carrying, just range and possibly defense.

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
Only if theres one in the pipe right? So I would have to rack the slide before a shot? It wouldn't be for carrying, just range and possibly defense.
If you have a round in the chamber of a single action 1911, you need to cock the hammer before you fire. If you have a round in the chamber of a single action 1911 and have a flush hammer you would need to rack the slide and eject the round in the chamber (chambering a new round in the process) before firing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks. I might try it out with an extra hammer and keep my original (I'll try to get some pics up too if it works out)

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
maybe i am missing something there. if you have one in the pipe, the hammer would be back. if it is not...if it was lowered on the loaded chamber(which would be very hard to do with a flush hammer without a discharge), wouldnt that be very unsafe? If I recall, the safety will not engage on a 1911 with the hammer down.

·
Registered
181 Posts

Single action guns need to be cocked before the first shot. The only possible way to make a flush hammer work with a single action gun would be to carry with the chamber empty and do an Israeli Draw.

couldnt you just leave it condition one?

·
Registered
11,060 Posts
maybe i am missing something there. if you have one in the pipe, the hammer would be back. if it is not...if it was lowered on the loaded chamber(which would be very hard to do with a flush hammer without a discharge), wouldnt that be very unsafe? If I recall, the safety will not engage on a 1911 with the hammer down.
I forgot about that.

But what's the point of a flush hammer if you're going to leave it cocked? Basically, the only real advantage to a flush hammer on a single action 1911 is to look good when unloaded.

·
Registered
181 Posts
You could.

However, what's the point of having a flush hammer if you're going to carry it cocked?

whats the point of having a flush hammer? let alone whether your gonna carry it cocked

·
Registered
181 Posts
I forgot about that.

But what's the point of a flush hammer if you're going to leave it cocked? Basically, the only real advantage to a flush hammer on a single action 1911 is to look good when unloaded.

agreed

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea that was one of the reasons I wanted to do it because of the looks. I would just be using it at the range mostly, no carry. I have extras so I would be able to switch back if wanted.

·
Registered
190 Posts

what is an "Israeli draw? is that when you rack it back on the draw?

·
Registered
968 Posts
The Cylinder and Slide "warp Speed" hammer is spurless. It is designed for competition use. The lighter the hammer, the more reliable an ultra light trigger will be. Just changing the hammer is not advisable. Hammer and sear should be fit as a set.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I do have a light weight trigger I am installing too. And I would just be making a custom one out of an original hammer. Do I still need a sear?

·
Registered
968 Posts
I do have a light weight trigger I am installing too. And I would just be making a custom one out of an original hammer. Do I still need a sear?
No, you can remove the spur without affecting the engagement surfaces. A new trigger may or may not drop right in.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
The Para Ordnance LDA, "Light Dual Action", has a flush hammer.
It works like this. You load the magazine, rack the slide. A bullet chambered and the hammer falls to the lowered position. Safety is placed on, weapon is carried, just like a standard 1911. When ready to fire, lower safety, when squeezing the trigger the hammer is drawn rearward, then released, firing the cartridge. Then it starts over. The hammer is allways in the lowered position, unless trigger is being cycled. It allows for a low drag position. I had one for a while, very nice firearm, I just could not get used to seeing the hammer move while pulling the trigger.

http://www.paraord.com/new/product_pistol.php?id=19

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Para-ord USA effectively defeats all advantages the 1911 has. 1. Slimness (w/ it's hi-caps) and 2. excellent SA-Only triggers.

If a 1911 doesn't have those what does it have? I submit: a high probability of failure coupled with a thick firearm that has a crappy trigger. ;) (no need to defend the 1911 against my comments... I like 1911's)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts