Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out the purchase process for buying a gun in Florida. In California, we have to have a Handgun Safety Certificate (received after passing a written test), the transaction has to go through a Dealer Record of Sale (DROS - basically registration with the state and a criminal background check of the buyer), then we have to wait 10 days before picking up the gun.

What is the process in Florida? What are the fees, is there waiting period, etc.? Is anything done differently if the gun is bought online and shipped in (most California dealers hit you with an extra fee for this).

(Yes, I know that a California resident can't buy a gun in Florida. I have a family member living there now, and I am trying to research the process.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
You dont need any special training to buy a gun in Florida, you buy the gun pay a $5 background check and there is a 3 - 5 day cool down waiting period.

Yes if you buy guns on line FFL dealers will charge you from $20 up to $50 for transfer.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The process in Florida is pretty easy. You basically go into a gun shop and fill out some paperwork. they run a background check which only takes a few minutes. Then depending on whether or not your family member has their ccw yet they can either take the gun with them that day or if they do not have theri ccw, they will have a 3 day waiting period. the 3 days is actually 5 days because it doesn't include the day of purchase or the day of pickup. So if you fillout the paper work on Monday, your three day wait would be Tues, Weds, and Thurs, and then you could pick up on Friday. You do not need to register your gun with the state. There is a $5.00 fee for the background check that I believe is mandatory.

Now purchasing online is a different story. You will most likely not have to pay taxes on the firearm when purchased online, but you will have to pay a trasnfer fee because the firearm must be sent to a FFL. I'm just north of Orlando and all of the gunshops and FFL's around me charge $50.00 for the transfer. I know alot of areas charge less but non in this area.

I hope this help. I believe this is all accurate but please if someone knows any better, feel free. I've purchased 3 guns in the past month or so during my waiting period for my ccw and this is the process as I recall it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of your for the information!

I love Florida. They trust me enough to allow me to get their CCW, while my own state doesn't. Application sent in last month, so hope to see it in the next 60 days or so.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The process in Florida is pretty easy. You basically go into a gun shop and fill out some paperwork. they run a background check which only takes a few minutes. Then depending on whether or not your family member has their ccw yet they can either take the gun with them that day or if they do not have theri ccw, they will have a 3 day waiting period. the 3 days is actually 5 days because it doesn't include the day of purchase or the day of pickup. So if you fillout the paper work on Monday, your three day wait would be Tues, Weds, and Thurs, and then you could pick up on Friday. You do not need to register your gun with the state. There is a $5.00 fee for the background check that I believe is mandatory.
That's not correct on the waiting period, at least not statewide. In Orange County it is 3 days, as in 72 hours. I doubt any county in Central Florida is different from that. South Florida can be a little more stupid.

What store told you it didn't include the days you were actually in there?

Now purchasing online is a different story. You will most likely not have to pay taxes on the firearm when purchased online, but you will have to pay a trasnfer fee because the firearm must be sent to a FFL. I'm just north of Orlando and all of the gunshops and FFL's around me charge $50.00 for the transfer. I know alot of areas charge less but non in this area.
There are FFLs in Orlando that charge 20+5 or 25+5. They are generally not your large gun stores. Check with pawn shops and the like and you can get a reasonable fee.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thanks to both of your for the information!

I love Florida. They trust me enough to allow me to get their CCW, while my own state doesn't. Application sent in last month, so hope to see it in the next 60 days or so.
good luck with the wait! im at 74 days and i live in fl so im sure your wait will be longer

·
Registered
141 Posts
Also, some counties have a mandatory waiting period on ALL guns unless you have a CCW. Palm Beach County & whatever one Tampa is in (Hillsboro??)come to mind.

·
Premium Member
14,230 Posts
good luck with the wait! im at 74 days and i live in fl so im sure your wait will be longer
Depends on your record and FFL. If you pop a "conditional" which means some sort of spot on your record (or similar name, etc.) that needs investigating, you WILL wait longer than 3-days. By law the FFL "CAN" give you your gun after 72-hrs, but some don't. It's the FFL's discretion. If you get the gun, and the conditional check later comes back "denied", expect a nice raid at your house to confiscate the gun.

I know all this cause my first purchase in FL came back conditional and I had to wait 5-weeks. Got my CCW and now it's 5-mins!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Long gun vs Handgun purchases are different.

Long Gun:
Walk in, say "I want that nice shiny evil black rifle on the wall there." They hand you the form, you answer the standard questions (Felon, citizenship, domestic violence, restraining orders, etc.), then the dealer checks your FLORIDA Driver's License, fills out their portion of the paperwork, then walks over to their phone and calls it in. The background check is done on the spot, and if you're clean, you go home with your nice, shiny, new, evil black rifle.

Handgun:
The difference here is the waiting period. You go in, you fill out the same paperwork. They check ID and fill out their portion, and call it in. Background check comes clear, you wait 72 hours (by Florida Statute, look up Chapter/Title 790) and then you can come back and get your handgun. This waiting period can be waived if you possess a valid Florida CCW license.

At least, that's been my experiences.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Long gun vs Handgun purchases are different.

Long Gun:
Walk in, say "I want that nice shiny evil black rifle on the wall there." They hand you the form, you answer the standard questions (Felon, citizenship, domestic violence, restraining orders, etc.), then the dealer checks your FLORIDA Driver's License, fills out their portion of the paperwork, then walks over to their phone and calls it in. The background check is done on the spot, and if you're clean, you go home with your nice, shiny, new, evil black rifle.
Nope, note in the aforementioned counties...& I'm sure some others...anybody know about Broward, Dade????

Without a CCW even long gun purchases have a waiting period in some counties. Bought the little guy a Mossy 500 at Gander Mt in WPB and was asked for CCW or it would have been a 5 day wait....."crime prevention" county ordinance....as if criminals are actually going to buy a gun...or enraged spouses are really going to calm down & not shoot each other......

Glad I just occasionally visit & don't actually live in such a county!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
And, LezChap.....you live in a good county too.

We are spoiled! When I was a kid I lived in Palm Beach County. Could walk out the back door & shoot....and that was just a couple of miles west of the airport.

For those of you that live down there...I remember hunting off what was the end of Okeechobee Rd.....the corner of 441 & Okeechobee!!!! Now it's about a zillion homes/businesses and waaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too many cars.

Times, they do change.:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts