Springfield XD Forum banner

Florida Concealed Weapons Permit!?

5K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Hedshot 
#1 ·
I apologize in advance for posting in the wrong area (if it is the wrong area) but im very frustrated. I applied for my permit about 4 months ago, after waiting what felt like forever i just got my Concealed Weapons License. I went to the local gunshop here in Orlando, purchased a new XD and then they took my driver license and my permit and made a phone call. Im assuming they were doing a quick background check.

The sales rep is on the phone for about 10 minutes and comes back and tells me i have to wait 3 days and that there is a "conditional hold".

WTF?

2 months ago at the same store i bought my first XD, now i have a permit issued by the state (less than a month old) and i have to wait the 3 day wait? I got a traffic ticket earlier in the day if that may have anything to do with it but I have a VERY uncommon last name and the guy at the store said maybe someone with a similar name did something wrong and thats why the system put a hold.

He also said this may continue to happen and if it does i will need a "UPIN".

Can anyone shed some light on why this would happen and how i go about getting a UPIN if that will make things easier. I was really looking forward to the freedom of buying a firearm at a my local gunshop or gunshow and now im just really frustrated and bummed out!

:confused: :-(

See less See more
#4 ·
I bought my XD back at the beginning of the month and didn't have a problem. Walked in pick out the one I wanted, went and paid for it while they made the call, picked it up and out the door I went. I don't know what a UPIN is. Never heard of it. I have had my CCW for about 3 years though. Maybe because it was new some info didn't have time to get into the system?

#5 ·
Did you give them your SSN (which is optional on the transfer form)? If not, could be somebody with the same last name.

But I am willing to bet the traffic ticket is the problem. The phone call goes to FDLE to ensure you don't have any outstanding warrants or adjudication pending. Basically, if you were pulled over your name gets flagged as having something pending. I don't think you will have a problem once the ticket gets paid. Might even "clear" after a couple days.

#6 ·
They were doing the Fed's NICS check, which a dealer has to do for every gun purchase, regardless if you have a CCW.

The three-day wait can be because somewhere in the US, somebody with a name very similar (possibly identical) to yours has a criminal record that prohibits them from buying a firearm.

I believe that you can get a unique PIN from BATFE that will prevent this in the future.

#7 ·
I've been told (don't know if it is true but makes sense) by my local gun store they have seen an increased number or delays and holds from NICS because of the increased about of checks that are being conducted, their call centers and systems are overwhelmed. Again...don't know if this is the case or just the number of people with questionable backgrounds trying to purchase guns has increased but there could be some truth in both. This may or may not have contributed to your delay.

#8 ·
Dont worry about it. It happened to me. I bought 2 gun's in one month with no problem and the next month bought another gun and had a delay. This was my first time getting one. I bought it on a Friday and the guy called me one Sunday to come pick it up.

#9 · (Edited)
OrlandoTommy,

Some of these guys have made some good comments, but the bottom line that everyone seems to have missed or doesn't know is, your carry permit has NOTHING to do with your NICS background check. I repeat: NOTHING.

As you probably know, your permit to carry is issued by the state based on your city/state records check. The ONLY thing this allows you to do once you receive it (other than carry your firearm), is IF your NICS background check clears when they call it in is to be able to leave with your gun the day you purchase it. Period. It is NOT a guarantee that you can walk in and walk out, no questions asked and is not the same background check that NICS performs.

NICS also does not give the FFL dealer calling them the specific reason for a delay or deny. They only tell them proceed, delayed, or denied. That's it. If you get a delay, there's up to 30 days for your paperwork to clear, or it's an automatic cancellation. You can resubmit after that time frame, but if it never had a resolution initially, odds are it'll be an automatic delay again. If it's a flat-out denied, the FFL dealer can provide you a contact number to plead or dispute your case through NICS, not the dealer; they have NOTHING to do with the outcome and cannot do anything for you.

As cooks128 alluded to, given the overwhelming buy-ups across the nation, NICS has been swamped and has been delaying checks for further review, simply because they just can't conduct them quickly enough in a 3 minute phone call.

Hope that helped clear some of it up for you.

#11 ·
I purchased a couple of AR lowers on Wednesday this week. The guy at the shop showed me the approval # that came back from the BG check. Then he showed me one from about 2 hours earlier.

The difference was over 500.

Assuming that they are issued sequentially, that means that they issued over 500 APPROVALS for the state of Florida alone in just under 2 hours ON A WEDNESDAY MORNING.

This to me is staggering. I'm not sure how many above that were denied or delayed. Imagine how many calls they receive and approvals they issue on a Saturday or Sunday.

#12 ·
I am in Indiana, but a similar thing happened to me- I was really freaked out by it and was wracking my brain trying to figure out why. I used my SSN on the form so I knew there was no mistaking me for someone else.

Bottom line, the guy at the shop said not to sweat it, that it happens a lot, and that if they did not hear from the agency in 3 days that I was good to go and they would call and let me know. Sure enough, 3 days later I got a call saying they had heard nothing and to come in and pick up my pistol.

I know it's alarming to be put on "hold" but I doubt it's something to worry about and from what I understand now, it happens a lot.

#14 ·
OrlandoTommy,

Some of these guys have made some good comments, but the bottom line that everyone seems to have missed or doesn't know is, your carry permit has NOTHING to do with your NICS background check. I repeat: NOTHING.

As you probably know, your permit to carry is issued by the state based on your city/state records check. The ONLY thing this allows you to do once you receive it (other than carry your firearm), is IF your NICS background check clears when they call it in is to be able to leave with your gun the day you purchase it. Period. It is NOT a guarantee that you can walk in and walk out, no questions asked and is not the same background check that NICS performs.

NICS also does not give the FFL dealer calling them the specific reason for a delay or deny. They only tell them proceed, delayed, or denied. That's it. If you get a delay, there's up to 30 days for your paperwork to clear, or it's an automatic cancellation. You can resubmit after that time frame, but if it never had a resolution initially, odds are it'll be an automatic delay again. If it's a flat-out denied, the FFL dealer can provide you a contact number to plead or dispute your case through NICS, not the dealer; they have NOTHING to do with the outcome and cannot do anything for you.

As cooks128 alluded to, given the overwhelming buy-ups across the nation, NICS has been swamped and has been delaying checks for further review, simply because they just can't conduct them quickly enough in a 3 minute phone call.

Hope that helped clear some of it up for you.
Out of curiosity are you sure the Fla permit has nothing to do with the NICS check, or is the Georgia permit like that? The only reason I ask is that the newer Michigan CPL (carry permit) allows you to buy a gun from a dealer with NO call needed. Any permit issued after a certain date (sometime in 05 or 06) gets a pass.
I just noticed you are from GA so that is why I was questioning this post.

#15 ·
Out of curiosity are you sure the Fla permit has nothing to do with the NICS check, or is the Georgia permit like that? The only reason I ask is that the newer Michigan CPL (carry permit) allows you to buy a gun from a dealer with NO call needed. Any permit issued after a certain date (sometime in 05 or 06) gets a pass.
I just noticed you are from GA so that is why I was questioning this post.
I have my GFL (GA's CCW) and I have not had calls go in that I've been aware of on the last 3 guns I've purchased. It does let you off of the $10.00 fee for the NICS check at the very least.

#16 ·
Virginia does instant (so called) background checks by computer and some dealers still do the call in.

I get put "on hold" each time because there is a convicted Murderer in Virginia that has my same first and last name, but the middle is different.

I have waited up to 5 hours and as small as 1 hour (today)... I'm used to it now... I do understand, and I'm kinda glad they do it, so a convicted murderer can't go and buy a gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.