Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday at the range a shooting friend asked if I'd like to shoot a mag full of his reloads in my XDc to feel the difference in recoil from factory ammo.
I asked how the rounds were loaded and he said they were slightly less than factory specs on powder and 200 grain flat nose(these were not SWC) vs. 230 round nose.. When I racked the slide to load the first round the slide didn't go all the way into battery and jammed. I mean REALLY jammed. To finally get the slide to move rearward I had to place the muzzle end of the slide against one of the 4x4 roof supports and hit the back of the grip with the heel of my hand. Has anyone else had trouble with flat nose bullets feeding? I'm suspecting OAL was to long but don't know all that much about reloading. If this should be in the ammo can section please feel free to move post.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apologies all round, I should have read a little further. I didn't know if a feed issue would be different with a hollow point vs a flat nose but I guess the shape IS pretty much the same. Thanks for the redirect.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Flat nose bullets are the scourge of all 45's especially 1911's ! As for XD's and even Glocks, some guns can take them and some can't. I had the same problem with Lawman FMJ flat nose and a Sig 1911. My Glock on the other hand chambered them.
I hope when I get my XD 45 it will accept Hornady XTP's or TAP. They are hollowpoints but with a flat profile. I hopoe they workout, I really like them ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try these:
Missouri Bullet Company
I've run thousands of these through my XD tactical. "Feeds like butter in XD". I go with 1.200" OAL on these with a Lee factory crimp die to finish. Great, cheap, accurate bullets, that cut nice holes in paper.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Yesterday at the range a shooting friend asked if I'd like to shoot a mag full of his reloads in my XDc to feel the difference in recoil from factory ammo.
I asked how the rounds were loaded and he said they were slightly less than factory specs on powder and 200 grain flat nose(these were not SWC) vs. 230 round nose.. When I racked the slide to load the first round the slide didn't go all the way into battery and jammed. I mean REALLY jammed. To finally get the slide to move rearward I had to place the muzzle end of the slide against one of the 4x4 roof supports and hit the back of the grip with the heel of my hand. Has anyone else had trouble with flat nose bullets feeding? I'm suspecting OAL was to long but don't know all that much about reloading. If this should be in the ammo can section please feel free to move post.
The reloads where out of spec. That's why they didn't chamber and why you had trouble removing them. Either they were too long or not fully sized.

Jeez I wish that if people posting solutions don't really know what's wrong, they would stop guessing at what might be wrong and posting incorrect answers. It just confuses the situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agalindo,
I would be interested in knowing, what spec you are referencing or what is the source of your comment that the loads are "out of spec". I have a thread running on 45 ACP Tactical jams now.....and my hand-loads, brass, OD's, etc... are to the "spec" I am working with yet,serious issues remain. I too am thinking I may have a seating depth issue....and am working thru it step by step and reporting back ....as noted in the thread.
Thanks in Advance!

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The OAL was too long thus causing the bullet to "stick" into the throat of the barrel. The case was not sized all the way down to that once it reaches the base it's oversized for the chamber and "sticks". Remove the barrel for the gun and drop a reload into your chamber it should drop in with no pressure and come out with no force needed.

MDshooter what issues are you having?

·
Registered
224 Posts
As for XD's and even Glocks, some guns can take them and some can't. My Glock on the other hand chambered them.
?
That is one of the things I like about glocks they will feed pretty much anything. I guess that adds to there reliabilty factor, and is one of the reasons they are so popular with law enforcement.
Not that I have had any problems with my xdm, havent put any reloads through it yet.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
That is one of the things I like about glocks they will feed pretty much anything. I guess that adds to there reliabilty factor, and is one of the reasons they are so popular with law enforcement.
Not that I have had any problems with my xdm, havent put any reloads through it yet.
You get a reload that's improperly sized, or too long and even a glock will jam. It's not the bullet shape, it's not the gun it's the freaking reload.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You get a reload that's improperly sized, or too long and even a glock will jam. It's not the bullet shape, it's not the gun it's the freaking reload.
I'm a reloader and what this man is saying sounds exactly like the problem.

It's not really a "feeding" issue if the round makes it into the chamber. The problem is the diameter of the case is too large for the OAL (over all length) is too long.

Sometimes if you don't put enough flare on a case when seating the bullet you can crush the case a bit causing a bulge, this could be the issue, or the reloader didn't mic his rounds....

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
If you are going to shoot reloads then "Roll your own".

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jeez I wish that if people posting solutions don't really know what's wrong, they would stop guessing at what might be wrong and posting incorrect answers. It just confuses the situation.
sounds like the slide was racked improperly. try pulling back with just two fingers and then letting go, don't keep your hand on it the whole time. that should fix the issue. definitely.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well thats freakin obvious. If the reload is out of spec daaa. I was refering to different types and brands of ammo and reloads as long as they are within specs.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Da this entire thread is about out of spec ammo not how well glocks feed factory in spec ammo.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm a reloader and what this man is saying sounds exactly like the problem.

It's not really a "feeding" issue if the round makes it into the chamber. The problem is the diameter of the case is too large for the OAL (over all length) is too long.

Sometimes if you don't put enough flare on a case when seating the bullet you can crush the case a bit causing a bulge, this could be the issue, or the reloader didn't mic his rounds....

Both these guys (Agalindo and Destructo) are absolutely right, the round is too big to fit in the "chamber", Simple solution, size the bullets to the proper size (.451), tighten up your crimp and happy shooting!!
BTW, cast my own slugs and reload my own rounds for years, I know what I am talking about, so do these guys!!!!!:)

·
Registered
667 Posts
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought a box of 500 200-grain, flat nose from Rainier and I tried 20 overall-lengths (seating depths) from way over spec to way under spec and they were never reliable- I got to where 5 or 6 would shoot then a jam, always the same- the sharp edge of the flat nose caught right on the chamber where the brass head-spaces. Not the gun nor the "reloads", it's the bullet shape/design. They jam about every 10 or 12 in my STI - Trojan 45 also. I shoot flat-nose-round point and those are 100% reliable in both guns. Oh- my XD-45 is a 5" Tactical bought in May 2008

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
The brass headspaces in side the chamber at the end just before the rifling. If it was getting caught there then you have more problems than just feeding issues the whole chamber is way out of spec.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts