Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a dependable, bright and small flashlight. I have considered SureFire but am told that Streamlight is better. Can anyone educate me? What do you carry and like?

Thanks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
They are both great quality and around the same price. I carry a Streamlight on duty, but I'm not saying Surefire is bad. I would take a look at the 6P(I believe) Surefire. It's the polymer cased one. They run about 35 bucks and have most of the same features as the higher priced ones.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I don't know that there is necessarily a "better." Some folks swear by Surefire and some folks swear at them. :lol: Both Streamlight and Surefire are great lights. Streamlight has some options that offer greater brightness for less money, then again from everything I hear it's hard to beat Surefire's warranty and customer service and they are proven tough.

What's your budget, what will you be using it for and how small do you want it?

I have a Brinkmann Legend LX and a Surefire G2. If you're looking for ULTRAsmall as in just over 3.5 inches small then check out the flashlight in this thread.

If you're looking for more like the typical 5 inch surefire type compact deal then there's the Digilight 1000XB, a plethora of Surefire flashlights with prices of 30ish bucks on up to over 100 bucks, the Streamlight Scorpion is a good option that is VERY bright and runs 35 to 40 bucks, etc...

Answer the questions I asked above and maybe we can help you narrow it down.

brad cook

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
87-51 said:
They are both great quality and around the same price. I carry a Streamlight on duty, but I'm not saying Surefire is bad. I would take a look at the 6P(I believe) Surefire. It's the polymer cased one. They run about 35 bucks and have most of the same features as the higher priced ones.
G2 is the polymer one. The 6P is metal and runs about 56 bucks. It's kind of the "classic" surefire that started it all. I think it's a good value as well.

brad cook

·
Registered
15 Posts
My father works for the sheriffs department back home and he carries a Streamlight. My brother has 10 years in the Army as a tanker and a gunner on H-60s and he carries a Streamlight. Both of them carry Streamlight because they have the rechargable models and were a bit cheaper than the Surefire counterparts (8AX I believe). I've got almost 8 years in the Air Force and I am a big Surefire fan. I've got a G2 (the plastic one), a 9P, and a A2 Aviator (in addition to my rail mounted light :twisted: on my AR). I like Surefire because of the compact size and the prefocused beam. We've got a few flight engineers in my squadron that carry either a Surefire or Streamlight instead of the "normal" maglight. Each of them bought what they did for their own reasons. I suggest that you go to each companies website and look for a similar model from each brand and then search the web for reviews of those models and then make your decision. If you can find someone that you know that has a model that your interested in ask them if you can borrow it for a night or two.

Sorry for rambling on like that, it's kind of late.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Am looking for something under $50 that is "concealable" along with my other gear. I always carry a Buck multipurpose knife that I've had for years, am about to start carrying an XDSC40 and want a light to go with it for those dark times. Needs to be small, bright and rugged. I liked the Q-III that was in your other thread.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback so far!!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
72shorty said:
Am looking for something under $50 that is "concealable" along with my other gear. I always carry a Buck multipurpose knife that I've had for years, am about to start carrying an XDSC40 and want a light to go with it for those dark times. Needs to be small, bright and rugged. I liked the Q-III that was in your other thread.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback so far!!
Yeah, based on that description I'd say that either the Surefire E1E or the Nuwai Q-III would be a good choice. Since the E1E is over 50 bucks then that's out I guess. I'll be getting one of those Q-III's myself at some point.

brad cook

·
Registered
266 Posts
I forgot to mention the Streamlight Strion. It looks to be a great deal. I haven't tried one yet, but will probably get one in the future. It costs a little more than some of the others, but is rechargable. Those lithium batteries get costly in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have the 6P, and while it's slightly over $50, you get a lot for your money. Surefire has the best deal on batteries as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
You're right about the batteries Dave. You can get 2 Surefire batteries for less than the price of one Energizer. And if I recall, the Surefires have a 10 year shelf life.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
87-51 said:
You're right about the batteries Dave. You can get 2 Surefire batteries for less than the price of one Energizer. And if I recall, the Surefires have a 10 year shelf life.
I believe all CR123 batteries have a 10 year shelf life. Battery Station also has good deals on CR123s...especially their house brand, which has received good reviews and has tested well. You can get 20 batteries with a nifty plastic storage case for $30. Or you can just order the batteries by themselves for $1.25 apiece.

brad cook

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a Surefire E1 with a KL1 LED head that I carry almost every day for the past year and a half in the lighter pocket of my jeans. This thing has never failed me and been through the washer several times and the dryer a couple as well. Never had a problem, and has helped me out time and time again. It finds a use almost on a daily basis.

I also have a 6P by the bed, and a yellow G2Z in the car. These don't see much use, but are very solid and bright flashlights.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
DigMe said:
87-51 said:
I believe all CR123 batteries have a 10 year shelf life. Battery Station also has good deals on CR123s...especially their house brand, which has received good reviews and has tested well. You can get 20 batteries with a nifty plastic storage case for $30. Or you can just order the batteries by themselves for $1.25 apiece.

brad cook
They are all rated to have a 10 year shelf life, assuming your shelf is in optimum conditions.

Brad, have you used their house brand batteries?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Nah, I never have, Dave. A lot of people at candlepowerforums seem to be very happy with them though. Apparently the batteries are good quality and the business has good service and very fast shipping.

brad cook

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I guess I could use a small otter box or two, maybe I'll have to try them and see for myself.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Maybe you could throw that genetically-altered bug in there instead of the otter...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts