Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any thoughts on this. I wanted to order a custom made barrel with threads on the end for a flash suppressor like the HK mark 23 has. I was reading on a site about....

"To the left, we see a Mark23 with the KAC attached during the recoil phase. If there were no booster on the supressor, the barrel would not unlock from the slide and the Mark23 would not cycle. Instead, it would deliver the recoil forces to the slide and frame, damaging them and leading to an eventual failure.

is this true with all barrel attachments? or just certain firearms??

"

P

·
0 Posts
From www.sountechsilencers.com

"Hand Cycling - Most locked-breech, recoil-operated pistols are very difficult to get to cycle. Remember that they were never designed to be suppressed. While most pistols will last through many thousands of rounds of normal fire, suppressed fire can be expected to shorten their useful life. Common techniques used to enhance cycling involve altering cam angles, lightening the operating spring, lightening the suppressor with lightweight materials or flimsy construction techniques, and the use of recoil boosters. Altering the cam angles and the use of an operating spring of lighter compression (most standard operating springs run from 18 to 25 pounds) may cause damage to the host weapon, and could result in severe personal injury to the operator or bystanders. The use of a recoil booster will enhance cycling, and if a limited number of rounds are expended the weapon may not be harmed by this. If a lot of rounds are expended the pistol may eventually suffer premature wear and damage.

While military operators and police want a weapon that will cycle by itself each time the trigger is pulled, there are others who may not mind hand cycling. Hand cycling is almost identical to carrying out a malfunction drill. When practiced, it can be very fast and almost instinctive. Hand cycling will result in the cleanest operation, because the breech will remain closed, causing all the filth generated to go out the muzzle of the suppressor. Hand operation will also be the most silent, as silencers are designed to stifle the flow of gas and noise from the muzzle, not back through the opened breech of a semiautomatic weapon. The worst situation will result with a weapon that only cycles some of the time. One will never know when to hand cycle, and when not to, and that confusion will result in indecision and lost time. If the piece actually cycled properly, racking the slide will eject a perfectly good round out onto the ground. A weapon that is hand cycled will not be subject to the slamming that results from the movement of a barrel that weighs three to six times what it was designed to because of the added weight of its silencer. "

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wish i could add a suppressor to my XD (wonder what it would look like). I really wanted to install a flash suppressor just for the look but will i run into this same problem?
http://www.mark23.com/MPPKSD/silencers.html

i found my info here but its for the HK. cool pics of flash supressor with a scope mount attached to the rail on the HK.

P

·
0 Posts
I doubt a flash suppressor would stress the gun much. It would be like having a slightly longer barrel as far as weight goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts