Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is the best, and tell me why. Or which one you like and tell me why. I know what an A2 does and I know why its not 360 degrees like the A1, but there are dozens out there, and I like the idea of having tips for a more painfull muzzle thump, but what do they do for you?

Muzzle control, keep you from being blinded by the flash, and equally important how loud does it make it.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
This is a tough question because it is a difficult thing to get both a flash hider that does what it is supposed to do in the same package as a muzzle brake...not to mention one that does both jobs and doesn't make the rifle sound like a 300WM instead of a 223.

From the sound of things, I would suggest that you look at the following options:

1) The YHM Phantom 5C2 (Pro: redesigned to work as a muzzle compensator while maintaining the excellent flash hiding abilities of the original Phantom. 5-port design has no downward facing port which helps eliminate dust problems when shooting in the prone position and serving as a muzzle brake. The 5C2 keeps the aggressive front end used in hand to hand situations. Con: LOUD as compared to other devices on the market);

2) The Smith Vortex G6A2 (Pro: arguably THE best flash hider on the market at the present time, minimal increase in noise compared to the A1/A2 flash hiders; Con: No "persuasion" points on the front of the flash hider, but the 4-prong design has some effect as a persuader); and

3) The MSTN/PRI CQB Brake (Pro: excellent muzzle brake with virtually zero rise in muzzle even under rapid fire and full auto. Also one of the quietest muzzle devices on the market right now and almost no concussion or "blast" back at the shooter. Con: Not necessarily a great flash hider, although flash is less than with other muzzle devices. No "persuasion" points on the front of the brake.)

Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It helped, one more question the Simple 3 prongs that are twisted whats the pro cons of those? They are like the vortex, just the prongs aren't straight, I would imagine it would help not noticeable with muzzle rise but would help with flash a decent amount.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
The 3-prong design is actually original equipment on the early M16's and Colt SP1 rifles. I have not seen or heard much about them, but the military dropped the 3-prong design in favor of the "birdcage" design flash hiders...that might or might not be a comment on their efficiency in terms of flash hiding. Can't comment on the "brake" aspect of that design.

·
Registered
821 Posts
The open prongs tend to catch brush and stuff like that, although they do work fantastic. They make a nice ping when you shoot them. There are some pictures floating around the net that show pictures of flash signatures of various models.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts