56,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do
Me, might take a whippin, but I'm not going to let it happen

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
21,651 Posts
Depends on who owns the flag. If they purchased it and burning it out of anger, fine. I would point out that they should burn money instead since that cant go back into the economy and puts more stress on the government to have sound money.

If it isn’t their flag then I would call the cops for destruction of someone else’s property.

If it’s my property, you have two seconds to get the F away from me or else.

Reactions: sdprof and Cyanide

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
I'd surely have something to say about it.
Forcibly stopping it is another story though... is it worth a possible assault beef? Potentially losing your rights?
I think it's something worth standing and speaking-up for, but in the end you'd come up short in the legal system if you go beyond that. In the law's eyes you'd be committing a (possible) felony for a <$20 piece of someone else's property... that's assuming that this is happening in "The Street".

If it's my flag on my property then things change radically. Still gonna be a bad outcome for all parties involved, but the stakes are much different and higher.

Reactions: Snaphook

·
Registered
469 Posts
It’s disrespectful, for sure, and I don’t like seeing it happen, but I won’t get bent out of shape over a piece of cloth.

It also depends on the context. Proper disposal of a worn out flag is done by burning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,565 Posts
If it’s a confederate flag, I’ll piss on the ashes.

If it’s an American flag...I don’t like it (unless it’s being properly and respectfully destroyed...but I don’t think that’s the scenario envisioned in the OP).

However—it has been upheld by SCOTUS as free speech. I guess if you think that it’s ok to assault someone doing it, you also think it’s acceptable to punch someone in the mouth who says things you don’t like.

·
Registered
14 Posts
There are a lot of things that have become “federally protected” in the past 30 odd years that I don’t agree with.

The free speech advocates are only interested in free speech if you say what they like. If someone were to burn Antifa, BLM or Pride flags, it would be a hate crime. Things are stacked against conservatives.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Maybe my display is missing something, but all I see is "Flag being set on fire" and then responses. Is there an article or something I'm missing?

If "Flag being set on fire" is all there is, you guys do realize that the burning of the flag is one of the approved ways of disposing of an old/weathered flag, right? There's a bit of a ceremony to it, but it can be done. I know because I've done it when retiring old flags. It's better than folding it up and sticking it in a box in the garage to eventually get thrown away in the trash.

For the lazy: How to Properly Retire an American Flag | US Flag Etiquette

When and how to retire an American flag respectfully

The United States Flag Code outlines proper flag etiquette for everything from properly folding a flag to flying a flag correctly. It even describes in great detail how to retire an American flag respectfully.

The U.S. Flag code states that, “the flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, [bold]preferably by burning[/bold].” Thus, when a flag is torn and tattered beyond repair, it’s time for it to be retired.

Retire an American Flag

In Chicago this past June, there was a televised retirement ceremony for more than 7,000 flags. The ceremony featured members of each branch of the military. Recently Twin Falls Christian Academy principal, Brent Walker, held a ceremony to show students on how to properly retire old American flags. However, these are just two separate events of hundreds across the nation where members are respectfully retiring American flags.

When an American flag becomes worn, faded, torn or soiled, it should be retired and replaced with a new flag. There are several ways to respectfully dispose of the American flag without showing disgrace. The most common method is burning the torn or tattered flag in a special ceremony.

Here are the steps you should follow.

Flag retirement ceremony

The Veterans Department of Affairs suggests starting by folding the flag in a customary triangle manner. Then prepare a large enough fire space to sufficiently burn the flag completely. Next place the flag in the fire and while it burns, individuals at the ceremony should salute or recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Finally, end the ceremony with a moment of silence and bury the ashes once the flag is completely consumed.

Many groups that hold annual or semi-annual flag retirement ceremonies often have their own unique traditions they also follow. But these are the minimum steps everyone should at least follow when they retire an American Flag.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe my display is missing something, but all I see is "Flag being set on fire" and then responses. Is there an article or something I'm missing?

If "Flag being set on fire" is all there is, you guys do realize that the burning of the flag is one of the approved ways of disposing of an old/weathered flag, right? There's a bit of a ceremony to it, but it can be done. I know because I've done it when retiring old flags. It's better than folding it up and sticking it in a box in the garage to eventually get thrown away in the trash.

For the lazy: How to Properly Retire an American Flag | US Flag Etiquette
Of course it is, but that is not what has been happening during the riots. There have also been flags displayed on houses that were set on fire.

·
Registered
29,565 Posts
By the bye, there’s a super-easy fix to the entire issue:

Congress can pass a law that requires flags to be made of a fireproof material.

Yeah, a new way of disposing of flags might become necessary, but...it would solve the problem.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
By the bye, there’s a super-easy fix to the entire issue:

Congress can pass a law that requires flags to be made of a fireproof material.

Yeah, a new way of disposing of flags might become necessary, but...it would solve the problem.
Well they could respect the laws we already have. I they all seem to follow the laws now.

Another law perfect.

·
Registered
7,382 Posts
You’re wrong, but we’re used to that from you.
So did ya vote for Bill and Al then.?

I didnt.

But nothing to do with the confederate flag on their campaign crap.

Everything to do with the men pictured on it however.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts