Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like both Orlando and Volusia clubs are going to ban BlackHawk Serpa style holsters (the one with the retention button) for IDPA matches.

They blame these types of holsters for the accidental discharges that have taken place recently. Neither myself nor another shooter I compete with have had any issues with these holsters, but it is what it is...

Just a head's up.

·
Registered
921 Posts
both times in orlando was not a result of the holster. it was a failure on the part on the shooter.
-Finger on the trigger before they have a target (and finger on the trigger while reholstering
-safety off before the gun has cleared the holster

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both times in orlando was not a result of the holster. it was a failure on the part on the shooter.
-Finger on the trigger before they have a target (and finger on the trigger while reholstering
-safety off before the gun has cleared the holster
Agreed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I understand why they are doing it. I witnessed one of the shootings and the cause is not the Serpa holster, it is always the shooter's fault. Especially when the gun has an external safety.

Maybe they should ban 1911's and Glocks also.

Give me a break.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Looks like both Orlando and Volusia clubs are going to ban BlackHawk Serpa style holsters (the one with the retention button) for IDPA matches.

They blame these types of holsters for the accidental discharges that have taken place recently. Neither myself nor another shooter I compete with have had any issues with these holsters, but it is what it is...

Just a head's up.

Port Malabar is going to ban them also.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So when is this going to take affect? I have a serpa for my xdm and I dont have a problem with it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
I was at the Orlando match when the most recent negligent discharge happened. It was a 1911 shooter who both put his finger in the trigger guard as he drew and flicked his safety off while the gun was still oriented straight down.

The sad thing is that the Serpa can be a factor in these type of ND. Specifically, it can be an issue when the shooter is outside of their comfort zone. In this case, the shooter (a full-time LEO) was using a weapon platform and holster different than his duty gear, as well as a movement that was not his usual style (turning from up range in a direction other than his standard rotation). They were little things, but that is when you make the little mistakes that are actually monumental mistakes.

I'm not sure that Serpas aren't getting a bad rap. They are great holsters, but their strength also creates the possibility for things to go wrong in the hands of an inexperienced or stressed-out shooter. The fact is that it is possible to orient your finger in the direction of the trigger guard when deactivating the Serpa retention mechanism. You can (and should) teach yourself not to do this with your finger, but it is still possible.

I spoke with the match director after the incident (he owns a couple of Serpas himself). I have a feeling that the holster was partially made to be a scapegoat to appease both the Orlando club's board of directors and their insurance company. They've had two negligent discharges this year, and both shooters were using Serpas. I can say with absolute confidence that nothing about the structure of the club or shooting bays, or the staff and policies, contributed in any way to either ND. They were simply bad decisions/actions by the shooters involved.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I shot Orlando yesterday and they haven't decided if they are going to ban the Serpa holsters. According to the briefing, they are leaning to not banning them.

Port Malabar and Volusia banned them.
Titusville and Central Florida have not (as of Sep 4th - things can always change)

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Of the two recent NDs, one was during re-holstering - which isn't really Serpa related. The other was during the draw by an individual with 30+ years experience. It appears he got ahead of himself in an attempt to "go faster".

These are just a good reminder that we are participating in potentially danger sport. It did make me start paying more attention to my finger during manipulating the gun.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I shot Orlando yesterday and they haven't decided if they are going to ban the Serpa holsters. According to the briefing, they are leaning to not banning them.

Port Malabar and Volusia banned them.
Titusville and Central Florida have not (as of Sep 4th - things can always change)
Which squad were you on? I shot at the Orlando match for the first time this past Sunday. I enjoyed it, well run for having so many people. I'm not sure what the final number of shooters was, but one of the guys on our squad was shooter #102. I was on squad 6. Our squad had at least 6-7 people shooting XDs

They had some fun stages. I'm not used to using props in IDPA/IPSC, the grill and briefcase stages were fun.

I was surprised to hear what he said about the one guy that shot himself. Can't remember the exact numbers he said but something like 30+ years of shooting experience and 10 or 15 years of competition shooting experience?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Which squad were you on? I shot at the Orlando match for the first time this past Sunday. I enjoyed it, well run for having so many people. I'm not sure what the final number of shooters was, but one of the guys on our squad was shooter #102. I was on squad 6. Our squad had at least 6-7 people shooting XDs

They had some fun stages. I'm not used to using props in IDPA/IPSC, the grill and briefcase stages were fun.

I was surprised to hear what he said about the one guy that shot himself. Can't remember the exact numbers he said but something like 30+ years of shooting experience and 10 or 15 years of competition shooting experience?
I was on squad 3. You are correct about the guy who had the ND. I believe he was law enforcement also.

CFL always has some interesting stages. Glad you enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Why would anybody use a SERPA at such a match anyway? True, it is supposed to be a realistic match with stuff you would carry but anything with a retention system will either cost time or complicate things (results obvious from previous posts).

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I would ban the careless shooters first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it boils down to POOR weapon handling nothing else dont blame the holster blame the shooter

dont blame the weapon blame the shooter

do you really think banning of the 1911 and the holster will make these guys act safely.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
There have been a series of ADs in matches w/ the Sherpa. No, it's not a holster problem but a shooter training problem. Some training facilities have also banned them for the same reason. There are other designs that do not have the button, & no button is really needed, but I would rather see the shooters take the responsability & train properly. That trigger finger should NEVER be tickling the trigger during a presentation/draw.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Marines have decided to allow the holster after extensive testing. If the Marines allow it, it's gotta be dummy proof! ;)

Flame Suit: ON

BTW, I bought one of these holsters on the advice of the LGS. However, due to issues I encountered during dry fire practice at home, I decided to wear the XDM holster that came with my gun for my first match this past Sunday. I never came near the trigger, but there was plenty of times I nearly gave myself a wedgie when I didn't hit the button in time before I tried to pull up the gun! So, I went with a passive retention holster for my first match. I foresaw a potential issue with my choice of equipment and experience, and changed my game plan. That, gents, is called JUDGEMENT. We all know there's some folks out there lacking such.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts