Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious who prefers a fixed or flip front sight and why. I Plan on mounting either an EOtech or ACOG scope on my flat top AR-15 and was wondering what the better option is. I notice there are A LOT of uppers that come with the fixed front sight.

Does it seem like the front sight gets in the way of the EOtech?

How about the ACOG?

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I personally don't like any cowitness at all, so i vote flip up.

However, I do like the looks of the fixed sight as well. Ultimately I think I'd go with fixed if I could get away with no or 1/3 cowitness. I'm not sure how an ACOG would work, but I imagine you could mount a traditional scope without the front sight bothering you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i prefer flip too. i dont like anything in my reddot sight picture except for the dot and the target.

i use a samson front sight and an arms 40l rear.

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
Nothing beats a solidly pinned front sight base. ;)

Flip ups are ok (IMHO) if they are rail mounted, not a big fan of flip ups that are mounted on the gas block if the GB is just held by set screws. Would be too easy to knock the GB out of alingment and cover the gas hole in the barrel.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
With the EOTech, I think that the flip-up or the fixed would be fine. I don't mind the co-witness setup, but some people do. If it bothers you, I would say stick with the flip-up sights.

As for the ACOG, you want the flip up. You can't, and wouldn't want to if you could, really co-witness with an ACOG. Even the lower power compact ACOG's are that way. All the front sight will do with an ACOG is get in the way or otherwise cause you problems depending on how you mount the ACOG to your rifle. The regular sight tower on the M4 can cast a shadow or halo on optical sights like the ACOG.

Here is a pic of my DMM4 with an ACOG TA31F and a PRI front flip up sight. I highly recommend the PRI because it locks in the up and down position, is solid steel construction (not the place for aluminum), and will use any standard M16/AR15 front sight post if you want to put in a NM post or some other design.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
With eotechs 1/3 cowitness is the way to go, I'd rather have that, then flip up then co witness.

1/3 is where on the glass its 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the glass in your sight picture, so not directly on the target.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I preferred Flip up.

I went YHM flip front sight gasblock. I knew I would be adding an aimpoint RDS or an EoTech and I wanted the option to Co-witness or not.

although you cannot go wrong with the tried and true fixed front sight gasblock. its been the standard for a reason.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I had the solid FS on my 20" with a scope on it. It didn't bother me at all until I put a pic. style FSB on it and realized how much "shading" the FS caused to the scope. On my 16" with the Eotech the solid front sight was very annoying to me. I put a free-float tube (YHM Spectre XL) with rails on it and a flip-up FS and keep a solid BUIS (already sighted in) for the rear in my tac. vest. This results in perfectly clear vision when using my main sight, the Eotech. Pop the Eotech off, flip up the front sight and put on my rear BUIS and I'm back in business. One could also move the Eotech forward and put the rear sight on if the co-witness thing was ok with you as well. :-D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Another vote for flip up. I have a YHM front and really like it. Flip up's make dealing with whatever optic you choose easier, and I like having it out of the way when not needed.

Having said that, unless I was installing an exended or free floating rail, I'm not sure that I'd bother on a rifle that came with a fixed front sight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts